Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Rocks

Lightwing

What you are doing, right here, stop that! Do you emember the pony armogedon that happened with the first Equestria girls movie? Wit h the leave the fandom this and evil hasbro that.

Yeah you know the big storm that people say they would create that never happened and instead everyone realized they were overreacting and the movie got pretty decent reviews and was a market success.

The first movie flopped,

Really?

http://puu.sh/6ttUa.png

http://puu.sh/6ttX0.png

http://puu.sh/6tu27.png

http://i.imgur.com/l24pOob.png

The movie got pretty decent ratings. Much better than what fans thought it was going to be. The fans on Netflix rated it 3.9/5 which is around 78% which is pretty good for a movie. Many sites consider 60% "passable" and 75+ as good and 90 as "great". Still, no matter which way you slice it the movie did very well everywhere it was sold. The tickets for the film sold out in many theaters.

The movie was successful enough to justify making a comic. So I don't know where this notion of "it was a flop" is coming from.

I don't agree with saying it was a flop and nobody liked the first one (of course I think the ratings you showed is kind of color-coating it... there are plenty of sites with lower ratings than that like imdb which has a 6.6/10)

That aside, I think that the existing television canon is loved far more by fans, and is just a better constructed canon all around so going back to the Equestria Girls universe just makes no sense.

Let's put it in mathematical terms.  There are more people that like the cartoon, but do not like Equestria Girls than people who like Equestria Girls but do not like the cartoon.  Because of that, there will inherently be less fans of Equestria Girls, which means less money for Hasbro.  So they should stick with what works and do a movie of the actual series instead.

I also think that Equestria Girls isn't the type of plot that can be made into a thousand sequels.  The reason a lot of people liked the first one was because they surprisingly found a way to make it work.  I originally hated the idea because I was imagining something more along the lines of a completely separate spin-off universe that wasn't directly connected to the cartoon, and thought that was franchise-suicide.  But when I saw it and found the connection between the two universes, I was pleasantly surprised.  That being said, while I did like the first one, it was a very flawed movie and has limited plot potential for sequels.  That's why I'm not thrilled with the idea of them making another one.

On top of all that, the article talks about a battle of the bands plot, which more than anything else terrifies me.  I hate those types of storylines and really, really, really think this can't be made to work.  Even in my previous fandom in which the idea of a battle of the bands theme totally would work (Alvin and the Chipmunks) when they did it, I absolutely hated it.  Why?  Because it's an idiotic, overdone, niche plot that always has the exact same ending.

Apparently if you click the link there's an update suggesting that Hasbro just confirmed this rumor.

I don't know. I'm excited. Who knows? They might surprise us? They, for the most part, did the first time. I love Equestria Girls.

imdb which has a 6.6/10)

Even if I factor that in, 6.6 is still passing. I just didn't think to check IMDB. None the any sight where the movie was actually sold and reviewed by customers appears to have pretty good reviews.

The reason a lot of people liked the first one was because they surprisingly found a way to make it work.

Is it really that hard to make stuff "make sense" in a universe with magic and all kind of ridiculousness?

Well one thing with a movie getting high rateings is it is a kids movie an many of them don't get high ratings Hercules from disney got a 6.9 where Walk the Line got a 8.2. Even though of the two Hercules has sold far more copies and was a far better film then that Johnny Cashtastophy.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rock- now that's a mouthfull... :wacko:

I don't think the first movie needs a sequel though, it was perfectly fine as a one-and-done thing if you ask me... but hey, if Hasbro wants to put out another one to help hold people off between seasons, as long as it doesn't affect season lengths again, fine by me I guess. :P

............................. You have no idea how much I want to hate this. A battle of the bands for Equestria Girls. About a year ago, I'd be crying heresy.

But after the first movie caught me off-guard (not calling it good, just that I liked it), I've learned to really trust Hasbro and their... odd marketing decisions with their show.

Hasbro, I'm keeping my faith in you this time around for this. Don't let me down.

I can't say I'm surprised, it didn't exactly leave a clear cut "we'll never see human ponies again" ending to the first movie.  I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to turn it into a series, though with a possible sequel in the works, who knows.

I think the plot we have now is lame, but again, who knows, it could be improved upon before the movie is made.  I just hope we get some good music out of it.

• Brohoof 1

Well that is true... if they really do a battle of the bands theme, we'll probably get some good music out of it at least.

But seriously I've never seen a unique battle of the bands plot... it's such a cliche plot and I really really hope if they do that story that they'll have some unique twist on it to make it more interesting than good guy band gets challenged to a school contest by evil band, good guy band fights among themselves because one of them is being super competitive and driving people crazy, good guy band resolves issues and wins contest, world is saved.

Well that is true... if they really do a battle of the bands theme, we'll probably get some good music out of it at least.

But seriously I've never seen a unique battle of the bands plot... it's such a cliche plot and I really really hope if they do that story that they'll have some unique twist on it to make it more interesting than good guy band gets challenged to a school contest by evil band, good guy band fights among themselves because one of them is being super competitive and driving people crazy, good guy band resolves issues and wins contest, world is saved.

In coming pot head fan prediction!!!!

Bands lead guitarist breaks their arm, and spike fills in and plays an amazing guitar solo!!!

*le me innocently browsing le PonyNet, when suddenly*

LE GASP!  :o

2.jpg

I just... DAHHHHHH... DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:

*deep breath* OK, some of you may remember that I did not have very nice things to say about EQG back in the summer.  Long story short, I thought it was far more entertaining than it had any right to be, and if you liked it, good for you, I don't hold that against anyone.  But objectively, I cannot say that it is a good film overall, and I don't think anyone can even if they liked it; it's not so bad it's good (despite having some spectacular failures), oh no, it'd be far more enjoyable then.  It's just... meh.

So right now, if this planned sequel news is legitimate, my biggest fear is this; we're just going to get another meh flick that doesn't need to exist for any reason.  My first hope is that it would be so bad it's good (just because I think that more likely to be the case than it actually being good), because at least then it would have entertainment value, my second hope is that it would actually turn out good, but all in all since we already have EQG to look at, I'm expecting a very meh, mediocre movie to be the most likely final product that we get when this comes out.  Whoop-dee-friggin'-doo.  Ah well, at least none of the ACTUAL ponies should be in this *crosses fingers*; no need for that magic-mirror garbage like in the first one.

Overall, I doubt I'll hate this thing, and I'm not even worried about it because the first one had absolutely no impact on the show or its quality whatsoever, it just... happened.  I expect the same out of this.  Yay.  :mellow:

Edited by Batbrony

I cannot say that it is a good film overall, and I don't think anyone can even if they liked it;

Really? Because several thousands of customer reviews and such would say otherwise... Over 277,000 reviews on Netflix and the film is about 78% there.

Over 400 on iTunes and it's 90% there.

Really? Because several thousands of customer reviews and such would say otherwise... Over 277,000 reviews on Netflix and the film is about 78% there.

Over 400 on iTunes and it's 90% there.

Personal enjoyment and objectively good quality are two different things.  When I was younger, I was plenty entertained by ridiculously bad movies like "Meet the Spartans" or "Epic Movie"; yeah I enjoyed them, and I even somewhat fondly remember said enjoyment with nostalgia, but that doesn't mean those movies were actually good, not even as satirical comedy because, really, they pretty much fail as satire.  Again, I myself found things I enjoyed in EQG, but the writing was average at best and substandard at worst, pacing was way off, and plot points/character decisions were frequently mind boggling and idiotic.  Entertaining, but still poorly put together and executed.  But again, as I said before, someone likes the overall product, good for them; I just don't.  :)

Personal enjoyment and objectively good quality are two different things.  When I was younger, I was plenty entertained by ridiculously bad movies like "Meet the Spartans" or "Epic Movie"; yeah I enjoyed them, and I even somewhat fondly remember said enjoyment with nostalgia, but that doesn't mean those movies were actually good, not even as satirical comedy because, really, they pretty much fail as satire.  Again, I myself found things I enjoyed in EQG, but the writing was average at best and substandard at worst, pacing was way off, and plot points/character decisions were frequently mind boggling and idiotic.  Entertaining, but still poorly put together and executed.  But again, as I said before, someone likes the overall product, good for them; I just don't.  :)

I'm not contesting that, I am saying that a majority of people liked the overall product. I am pointing out that I think you're exaggerating the people who didn't like it. You say "someone" likes the overall product when according to the ratings, a majority of people liked it. I think it's best that when you make a point, not to embellish said point.

What you're actually trying to say is you didn't like the overall product, correct?

I'm not contesting that, I am saying that a majority of people liked the overall product. I am pointing out that I think you're exaggerating the people who didn't like it. You say "someone" likes the overall product when according to the ratings, a majority of people liked it. I think it's best that when you make a point, not to embellish said point.

What you're actually trying to say is you didn't like the overall product, correct?

Oh yes, apologies if it came across that I was trying to embellish, I honestly wasn't.  I know that most bronies in general seem to have liked it.

Oh yes, apologies if it came across that I was trying to embellish, I honestly wasn't.  I know that most bronies in general seem to have liked it.

No worries.

Honestly I am a pretty harsh critic and I thought the movie was "okay". I lightened my normal critique because I had to factor in that the movie was intended for a much younger audience though.