Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you love or hate your parents?

CosmicHooves

Parents  

173 users have voted

1. 1. I...

• love my parents.
    • hate my parents.
    • Other (please explain in the comments)

Do I love my mother? Very much.

Do I love my dad? I try my best not to.

He never got a job while he was married to my mother, liked guns, beer, and had a poor temper. His relationship with my mother ended when I was very little. He was drunk and pointed a shotgun at her while I was in between them. Needless to say, my mother picked me up, grabbed my older brother and sister, and -with absolutely no concern for the speed limit- rushed over to the police station. The police showed up at our house, arrested him, my mother successfully divorced him, he later moved out, and to this very day hasn't paid a cent worth of child support. The details on what happened are blurry to me, but judging from what I can remember and how my mother described it, it wasn't a fun time.

The thanksgiving before the most recent one, he called me to tell me that he had some kind of heart condition and was going to die soon. I returned to the dinner table trying hard not to cry (the rest of the family could tell that something was obviously wrong). I told them about the phone call, and my brother told me that he received that exact same phone call from him five years ago. I went from being sad to being confused, and my mother told me that he was trying to get money from us.

Adopted children are often told by their new parents that DNA isn't what makes a family. That same concept can be applied here. Biologically related or not, he failed as a father, and I usually refer to him by his first name. When my friends are talking about parents, and they ask about my dad, I'm quick to change the subject. You may say that I love my father because I cried after he called me, but that's exactly why I said 'I try my best not to' love him, because he doesn't deserve it.

My stepdad is a lot better than he is, but we're not particularly close. I talk to him using his first name, and when my friends ask about him, I just call him my stepdad. Still, he's very considerate when me or my brother talk to him about problems, and I can at least respect him for that.

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 1

My parents were the ones who brought me into existence, fed me, clothed me, kept a roof over my head, and for free. They have bought me things as well. They have done more for me than all of my friends combined. So I'd have to say yes.

• Brohoof 1

I have a seperate relationship with each of my parents, so i had to choose other.

Stepdad: i strongly dislike him most of the time, mainly cause i think he is just being a jerk for no reason. On a really good day, i have to say he is an ok guy, but there arent many good days.

Mom: she has my back sometimes,and we can have a good conversation sometimes. Other times, she ticks me off, but she tends not to do that as often as my stepdad, so shes ok.

Dad: though i dont see him as often as we would both like, i love him and his point of view on life and everythig. We hang out sometimes, but its never long enough. I feel that i would be happier living with him, but im stuck with my mom until i graduate.

I wouldn't be where I am today if not for the love and support of my parents. On top of that, they're totally cool with me and MLP. Everything that is good about me is because of them. I'm going to be inconsolable and bed ridden for weeks when they die.  

Ofcourse I love them, I mean we have had our disagreements exspecially my father and me, he hates a lot of stuff I like, mlp, the length of my hair, how I eat :/. But they have taken care of me and done the best they could have, it would hurt me to say I hate someone that has done to much for me already.

Yes I love my parents, they have supported me in whatever I want to do (within the extent of the law), and I feel I don't have hide things from them, that being said I still get in the occasional argument with them, and like I tell them "I always love you, but I don't always like you".  

notsureifipostedalready

It's  an on and off relationship between me and my parents. Most of the time, there are positive relations. However other times I feel my personal space is being intruded upon and I tend to get annoyed and/or angry. I do sometimes get into arguments and I get really pissed when I'm not allowed my own space. I'm a lone-wolf rather than a social person and I prefer that. It's amazing that general society thinks introverts are either autistic or emo.

I love my parents! I am very lucky to have such chill parents. While they can be strict, it's never too overbearing. They're also chill around my friends, which is a definite plus. They are always there for me no matter what and I consider myself very lucky knowing that I can go to them for anything.

I love my parents. 

Not seeing eye-to-eye in a debatable subject isn't a reason to hate anyone. Everyone's got different opinions than you, even your parents.

I've grown to not like my mom more than my dad at this point in time, i'm usually always in a bad mood when my moms around but when Im with my dad I'm not in such a bad mood.

See we have two houses and one my mom looks over and the other my dad looks over and I'm usually with my dad, and usually when my mom comes over my dad turns into sort of a dickhead and treats me worse then when my mom isn't there.

So basically I love my dad like 75% and my mom like 45%. :/

• 4 months later...
My mother has her flaws, but she's always at least tried to be understanding and do whatever she can to keep things happy and calm... even if our interactions may get on my nerves more recently, I still love her all the same, for holding on through difficult times and refusing to force that difficulty onto others as well.

My father... is different. :please: He suffered a lot in his past and has problems even now, and at times, I want to feel sorry for him, to notice the good in him that his problems manage to restrain. But, most of the time, all I see is someone that uses his sadness as justification for doing anything he likes that makes others sad, repeatedly (even essentially confirming to me that he thinks he's more entitled than anyone else for what he's gone through, including someone that I explained to him had far more physical and mental problems than the average person their age), and who refuses to open his mind as wide as he opens his mouth.

He's never abused or hit me or his wife, and he does give nice things to us very rarely, like money and random teats... but it doesn't feel like he ever gave what actually matters, a warm and caring role model, not gifts to keep us satisfied for the time being while he buggers off to the pub in secrecy and quite often against his promises. Living with him gives the feeling that essentially everything is out of my control. =/

Add in the fact that he got drunk- frighteningly and depressingly so to me, and he knew it- the very day I got out of hospital after only barely putting away suicidal thoughts, and... yeah, I'm really not that fond of him, in all honesty.  -_-

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

They're christian and very steeped in tradition, so naturally we didn't get along very well when I was young. It reached a critical point when I brought a friend home one day and they somehow assumed that made me gay. I'm not - my friend was, but a friend is still a friend. That was kind of my signal to seek my fortunes elsewhere.

I have spend about 15 years away from them now, during which I've crossed borders, got married, had a baby witch, lost my partner to cancer and generally moved on in life. I still talk to them once every couple of months or so and it's.. getting better. My father just hit 70 and he is mellowing out a LOT. My mother feels pretty left out of my life, so when we do talk it's usually only about interesting stuff that has happened. Not the boring same-old that gets on your nerves and gets you into arguments.

So, the TL;DR is that being away from them did a lot of good.

Edited by Trickilee

(edited)

Yes, i love my parents. They're not biologically my parents; but i love 'em all the same. I got to meet my biological mother after 10 years, then my dad followed 15 after that. Though it was more awkward with my father since we only talked over the phone.; but if he were with me in person, i could talk a lot easier.

But me and my twin brother have different fathers, but it doesn't make one bit of difference to us either way.

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 3