Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

I'm going to build something on a lower budget, and this was a build suggested to me a while back(I'll probably get a $20 case and put that $40 into a better GPU, and possibly step down to a 1.5TB HDD and put that money into a Blu-Ray drive)

post-6903-0-99830000-1385850292_thumb.jppost-6903-0-46807400-1385850293_thumb.jp

• Brohoof 1

It's not. I have a very limited amount of types of games that I am interested in to begin with (I am not into anything violent). Most of those types of games are perfectly covered by Nintendo.

If it was going to happen, it would have already happened.

The only other PC titles that I am interested in (Civilization and SimCity), I also got into a decade or so ago. And how lucky for me... The new Civilization looks completely uninteresting and EA blew it with SimCity, much like they did with The Sims 4.

Gaming is one of those areas that I really am no longer into trying anything new, because I already spend enough money on games as it is, and I do not think it's anywhere near the best way to be spending my money. I already blew way too much money on this PC just to be able to perfectly run a "low-end, outdated" game. PC gaming is NOT in my best interest. Do you have any idea how much of a money drain The Sims is to begin with? EA is soooo greedy with that series.

Reminds me of this.

I've given up and EA. Especially since Origin never freakin' works for me. Why cant everyone just put there games all on Steam...

• Brohoof 3

I'm going to build something on a lower budget, and this was a build suggested to me a while back(I'll probably get a $20 case and put that $40 into a better GPU, and possibly step down to a 1.5TB HDD and put that money into a Blu-Ray drive)

img-3127377-1-post-6903-0-99830000-13858img-3127377-2-post-6903-0-46807400-13858

Bro Unless you edit videos and stuff like me ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS spend more money on your gpu than on your cpu in like a 2:1 ratio

• Brohoof 1

Well, i'm not exactly a person who condemns all non PC stuff or anything like that, not my style, and I do own several consoles for certain things, but after getting my new PC that I bought several months ago now, I've been using it a bunch more for gaming and honestly I'm more comfortable with gaming on my PC than on consoles in many cases. 

Let me try and see if I have any decent pictures of my setup...

post-7861-0-76738400-1412114140_thumb.jpg

Here we go, the only thing to note that has changed I believe(besides the random clutter on my desk) is that my PC has green Cold Cathode lights, which i was unaware of how to turn on at this time, or maybe they just weren't on, i forget ;p.

And yes, the monitor on the left is really crappy and old, but I don't have money quite yet to dish out for a better second monitor really, and it works fine as a second monitor for me.

Oh and I have a new desk chair, but that's kinda irrelevant, because that isn't even visible in this picture. ;p.

Anyways, my PC isn't anything amazing, but it isn't necessarily bad either. I got it from Ibuypower if anyones curious.

AMD Radeon HD 8670D

AMD A-10 6800K Radeon HD Graphics(4 Cores)

8 Gigs RAM

1 TB Harddrive

And Windows 7 Home Premium.

I think that's all the important stuff.

I don't really know a ton about computers to be honest, so sorry if I suck at this, or am lacking in knowledge about something.

And yes, my Processor and GPU are basically together, and yes it's probably not the best idea, but I didn't have the extra cash to put into a better seperate GPU at the time.

I'm going to upgrade eventually and get a new GPU seperate from the processor, and use that. And i'll of course have to upgrade the power supply when I do that too.(I think currently it's only like a 300 Watt.)

So yeah, I think that's it, nothing amazing or anything, but it runs decently well on most things. Like I said, when I have some more cash to spare I'll probably upgrade, but for now I'm satisfied.

Actually, I found a picture with my Computer case lighting up, if you look it also has "Zygen" engraved on the clear part, which is pretty cool, and like cost me nothing to get, so I was like, why not?

post-7861-0-87655900-1412114769_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Well, i'm not exactly a person who condemns all non PC stuff or anything like that, not my style, and I do own several consoles for certain things, but after getting my new PC that I bought several months ago now, I've been using it a bunch more for gaming and honestly I'm more comfortable with gaming on my PC than on consoles in many cases. 

Let me try and see if I have any decent pictures of my setup...

attachicon.gifDouble Monitors! 2014-04-03 001.JPG

Here we go, the only thing to note that has changed I believe(besides the random clutter on my desk) is that my PC has green Cold Cathode lights, which i was unaware of how to turn on at this time, or maybe they just weren't on, i forget ;p.

And yes, the monitor on the left is really crappy and old, but I don't have money quite yet to dish out for a better second monitor really, and it works fine as a second monitor for me.

Oh and I have a new desk chair, but that's kinda irrelevant, because that isn't even visible in this picture. ;p.

Anyways, my PC isn't anything amazing, but it isn't necessarily bad either. I got it from Ibuypower if anyones curious.

AMD Radeon HD 8670D

AMD A-10 6800K Radeon HD Graphics(4 Cores)

8 Gigs RAM

1 TB Harddrive

And Windows 7 Home Premium.

I think that's all the important stuff.

I don't really know a ton about computers to be honest, so sorry if I suck at this, or am lacking in knowledge about something.

And yes, my Processor and GPU are basically together, and yes it's probably not the best idea, but I didn't have the extra cash to put into a better seperate GPU at the time.

I'm going to upgrade eventually and get a new GPU seperate from the processor, and use that. And i'll of course have to upgrade the power supply when I do that too.(I think currently it's only like a 300 Watt.)

So yeah, I think that's it, nothing amazing or anything, but it runs decently well on most things. Like I said, when I have some more cash to spare I'll probably upgrade, but for now I'm satisfied.

Actually, I found a picture with my Computer case lighting up, if you look it also has "Zygen" engraved on the clear part, which is pretty cool, and like cost me nothing to get, so I was like, why not?

attachicon.gifMy Computer Finally Lights Up! 2014-05-24 004.JPG

Having Zygen engraved on your PC is awesome man!

I wanted to engrave mine but i would have to pay to have it done, and i never see the side of my case anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Bro Unless you edit videos and stuff like me ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS spend more money on your gpu than on your cpu in like a 2:1 ratio

Emulators are very CPU heavy, oddly enough.

That's where a fast CPU comes in handy on a gaming rig. 

• Brohoof 2

Having Zygen engraved on your PC is awesome man!

I wanted to engrave mine but i would have to pay to have it done, and i never see the side of my case anyway.

Yeah, it is, plus it really cost me literally nothing.

And I had mine engraved before it was sent to me. I payed, but hardly anything, maybe like 5-10 bucks? i forget.

To be fair, I don't really look down at the side of my case a bunch, but the way I have it right now, the side of the case with the "Zygen" engraved faces me, so if I look down then I can see it.

I just figured i'd get it since it was so dirt cheap. ;p.

• Brohoof 1

Before I get hate or criticism or the PC "master race" version of Jehovah's Witnesses, I just want to clarify that I'm not a fanboy of any console/PC and that I respect both, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I just prefer consoles, specifically Xbox, for a few reasons, but that's just me.

Either way, I use a normal old PC and don't play much on it. Sometimes I use my brother's actual gaming PC to play higher-quality games that won't/don't/can't run well on my PC, such as GTA, just for the purpose of replaying them. Most of the time when I play on PC I just hook up a controller to it anyways.

• Brohoof 2

For our great Lord Gaban, I offer these two machines in gratitude for blessing me with such graceful machines that serve this faithful follower well.

Here's my shameless ego blog about my beast computer again: http://mlpforums.com/blog/1681/entry-10890-my-vain-glorious-computer-and-beast-is-finished/ showing all the pics I have on there.

For those wanting the specs on my two computers, including the beast, it is:

"Beast"

CPU: I5 4670k oc at 4.0 ghz

Memory: 2 X 8BG 2400 mhz G-Skill Triton X to a total of 16GB

Video Card: 2 Zotac AMP! Nvidia GTX 780 graphics card in a 2 way sli.

Motherboard: MSI GD65 LG 1150 motherboard

CPU Fan Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812

Hard Drive: 256 Crucial SSD and 3TB Seagate Hard Drive

PSU: Seasonic 1050W Gold rated PSU

Computer Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition with a custom red/blue led fan to replace the back fan to make my case glow more and is now sitting on a couple of stools because it asked for them.

Headset: Creative Fatality

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: Anker 8200 DPI mouse

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1080p monitor with 144 fps

My older and reliable computer specs:

CPU: I7 870 clocked at 2.93

Memory: 4 X 4GB XMS3 1600mhz to 16 GB

Video Card: Evga Superclocked Nvidia GTX 560

Motherboard: MSI 2A9C moba

CPU Fan cooler: Masscool 8W2002B1M4

Hard Drive: 1 TB Western Digital Velociraptor HD

PSU: Thermaltake 775w Gold rated PSU

Computer case: HP 3130 minitower

Keyboard: Logitech G510

Mouse: Anker 8200 DPI Mouse

Monitor: Acer V22W 1050p monitor

Also I have a QSnap tp212p NAS storage unit with 2 Seagate 2TB Nas Storage devices for backup.

In the name of our Lord Gaban, we thank he for providing all of us with such glorious computers that continue to provide us with the best gaming possible.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

For our great Lord Gaban, I offer these two machines in gratitude for blessing me with such graceful machines that serve this faithful follower well.

Here's my shameless ego blog about my beast computer again: http://mlpforums.com/blog/1681/entry-10890-my-vain-glorious-computer-and-beast-is-finished/ showing all the pics I have on there.

"Beast"

Computer Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition with a custom red/blue led fan to replace the back fan to make my case glow more and is now sitting on a couple of stools because it asked for them.

Motherboard: MSI LGA 1156 Motherboard (need to check it a bit later, will edit)

Also I have a QSnap tp212p NAS storage unit with 2 Seagate 2TB Nas Storage devices for backup.

In the name of our Lord Gaban, we thank he for providing all of us with such glorious computers that continue to provide us with the best gaming possible.

Your computer makes me drool, that's one heck of a beast computer you got, not only in specs, but that case is freaking sweet.

• Brohoof 1

"Beast"

Motherboard: MSI LGA 1156 Motherboard (need to check it a bit later, will edit)

That is one PC worthy of the Lord. GabeN bless.

gabe_newell_portrait_by_freddre-d4rnffi.

• Brohoof 1

I wanna get a new mouse. What should I get/be looking for?

My recommendation is to see if you can try them out at a store first. Don't get caught up in all the numbers, DPI, sensors and the like. If it's not comfortable, skip it.

A lot of affordable gaming mice have been popping on Amazon of late, one of which is Nuke87654's Anker 8200. They get great reviews and I've been meaning to check one out myself to replace my aging (yet still awesome) G9x. Even if you're not a gamer they have features like button macros and the such that you might find useful.

• Brohoof 2

One of the things I think is so great about PC gaming is the digital aspect of it, assuming you use Steam.

Here I am, playing games that I won't be able to break. Really good, since I broke enough CDs by scratching them up in my day that I could probably cover the state of Rhode Island from head to toe in them :please:

Oh, and the cost. Games are so much less expensive :D I picked up "Tales of Monkey Island" yesterday for 35 bucks. Since it's about 5 games, I ended up paying about 7 bucks a game. Wonderful games, too :D Spent 9 hours playing Ch. 2 today :proud:

I usually see console games going for about 60 bucks a pop at 'ol Wally World.

• Brohoof 3

I fogot to mention I'm not actually a gamer lol. Sorry >.< Should I pick a gaming mouse anyways?

You can get something cheaper like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Mouse-Black/dp/B005EJH6RW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412137699&sr=1-1&keywords=Mouse

Or if you want spen a little more for a glowy mouse, then here's what my Anker mouse looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Programmable-Buttons-Cartridges-Switches/dp/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412137797&sr=1-3&keywords=Mouse

My recommendation is to see if you can try them out at a store first. Don't get caught up in all the numbers, DPI, sensors and the like. If it's not comfortable, skip it.

A lot of affordable gaming mice have been popping on Amazon of late, one of which is Nuke87654's Anker 8200. They get great reviews and I've been meaning to check one out myself to replace my aging (yet still awesome) G9x. Even if you're not a gamer they have features like button macros and the such that you might find useful.

Get it if you're interested as it beats my old sidewinder mouse by a longshot. Also can record crap on it at the touch of a button. Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 4

I fogot to mention I'm not actually a gamer lol. Sorry >.< Should I pick a gaming mouse anyways?

I'd say just get a cheapo mouse offa Amazon or Newegg if ya aren't looking for something fancy.

Personally, I have a Steelseries Rival, and it's a pretty great mouse, but it's oriented at gamers. Doesn't have any fancy shit like 13 buttons or a super-sensitive sensor though, appearance-wise it's just a basic optical mouse with right/left-click buttons, a scrollwheel, a DPI switching button, back/forward buttons and some LED lighting. Really, though, for a $60 mouse it ain't bad. So, if you want to spend a bit more and want some extra features like adjustable CPI and LED lighting (which can be disabled!) I'd say go for that.

• Brohoof 3

One of the things I think is so great about PC gaming is the digital aspect of it, assuming you use Steam.

Here I am, playing games that I won't be able to break. Really good, since I broke enough CDs by scratching them up in my day that I could probably cover the state of Rhode Island from head to toe in them :please:

Oh, and the cost. Games are so much less expensive :D I picked up "Tales of Monkey Island" yesterday for 35 bucks. Since it's about 5 games, I ended up paying about 7 bucks a game. Wonderful games, too :D Spent 9 hours playing Ch. 2 today :proud:

I usually see console games going for about 60 bucks a pop at 'ol Wally World.

Yea about monkey island, I've managed to get it DRM free on gog on their summer sale for less than 4 dollars, the whole 5 chapters ;) Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

You can get something cheaper like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Mouse-Black/dp/B005EJH6RW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412137699&sr=1-1&keywords=Mouse

Or if you want spen a little more for a glowy mouse, then here's what my Anker mouse looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Programmable-Buttons-Cartridges-Switches/dp/B00AAQRNQ8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412137797&sr=1-3&keywords=Mouse

Get it if you're interested as it beats my old sidewinder mouse by a longshot. Also can record crap on it at the touch of a button.

I'd say just get a cheapo mouse offa Amazon or Newegg.

Personally, I have a Steelseries Rival, and it's a pretty great mouse, but it's oriented at gamers. Doesn't have any fancy shit like 13 buttons or a super-sensitive sensor though, appearance-wise it's just a basic optical mouse with right/left-click buttons, a scrollwheel, a DPI switching button, back/forward buttons and some LED lighting. Really, though, for a $60 mouse it ain't bad. So, if you want to spend a bit more and want some extra features like adjustable CPI and LED lighting (which can be disabled!) I'd say go for that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Only reason why I'm afraid to get a cheap mouse is that it won't be that durable. :c

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Only reason why I'm afraid to get a cheap mouse is that it won't be that durable. :c

Well, make sure you read reviews then so you can be sure you're making the right purchase. I recently had a cheap Bluetooth mouse (as a side mouse) die on me after just a few months of ownership, so I know where you're coming from with being afraid that it won't be as durable as a more expensive one.

• Brohoof 3