Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Thanks for all the suggestions. Only reason why I'm afraid to get a cheap mouse is that it won't be that durable. :c

To be on the safe side, anker mouse, it's fair at 30 on amazon, one has lasted me for around a year and doesn't appear to be degrading on anything and it has among the highest reviews on there. This coming from me of course as I don't like cheapo mouses either.

• Brohoof 1

And that, my friend, is why you wait until the big sales on GoG and Steam laugh.png

lel

Meh. I didn't really mind shoveling out the money, to be honest. I earned it by mowing my tremendous lawn and eating up my whole afternoon on Sunday just to pick it up Monday :please: I was excited, I guess. I'm totally addicted to that series at the moment :D 

BUT THEY DON'T HAVE CURSE ON STEAM iowerhujrhw

• Brohoof 2

Probably most of the reason why the Steelseries Rival is priced at $60 is because of the 6400CPI sensor. If it had a lower-res sensor, it'd probably be $45 or lower. Doesn't really have a whole lot in the way of gaming-centric features other than adjustable CPI (I usually leave it at 1050 - 1300CPI, because I am never gonna need the full 6400), acceleration (bleh...) and polling rates.

• Brohoof 1

Yay PC Gaming :yay:

I'v been a PC gamer for...hm...can't remember. Though, I humbly remember playing Quake 4 Online. I loved that game. Rail gun FTW. I built my first PC gaming rig back in 2007. I have since built a 2nd one. :squee:

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II  X6 1055T(Hexacore)

MoBo: Gigabyte Something...

RAM: G-SKill Ripjaw 1600mhz (8Gb)

GPU: ATI Radeon 6770 HD

CPU:  Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Fans: Cooler Master 8'' x 3, Cooler Master 140mm x 1

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

HDDs: Western Digital Green 1TB and 500GB

Yea, It's outdated...but I can still run Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Fallout 3 on Ultra. Though a new MoBo and GPU would be sweet. ;)

Yea about monkey island, I've managed to get it DRM free on gog on their summer sale for less than 4 dollars, the whole 5 chapters ;)

That's the awesome thing about places like gog, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle and Bundle Stars. $120 worth of games for like $7.

I bought a few games recently like Euro Truck Simulator and Antichamber. I paid $5 for Euro Truck. and my last Humble Bundle, I got GOTY Edition of Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City for less than $1

Those sites are worse than the Steam Summer sale sometimes.... :blush:

• Brohoof 2

Yay PC Gaming :yay:

I'v been a PC gamer for...hm...can't remember. Though, I humbly remember playing Quake 4 Online. I loved that game. Rail gun FTW. I built my first PC gaming rig back in 2007. I have since built a 2nd one. :squee:

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II  X6 1055T(Hexacore)

MoBo: Gigabyte Something...

RAM: G-SKill Ripjaw 1600mhz (8Gb)

GPU: ATI Radeon 6770 HD

CPU:  Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Fans: Cooler Master 8'' x 3, Cooler Master 140mm x 1

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

HDDs: Western Digital Green 1TB and 500GB

Yea, It's outdated...but I can still run Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Fallout 3 on Ultra. Though a new MoBo and GPU would be sweet. ;)

That's the awesome thing about places like gog, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle and Bundle Stars. $120 worth of games for like $7.

I bought a few games recently like Euro Truck Simulator and Antichamber. I paid $5 for Euro Truck. and my last Humble Bundle, I got GOTY Edition of Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City for less than $1

Those sites are worse than the Steam Summer sale sometimes.... :blush:

Now it's time for me to sulk at how my ten dollar deal for both of them was beaten by...1 dollar.

Now it's time for me to sulk at how my ten dollar deal for both of them was beaten by...1 dollar.

Zyznonm.png

...and here I thought $17.47 for those games was a good deal.

I technically paid $6 for the entire bundle, but it included about 7 games. I forget what other games.

• Brohoof 2

So Jay (JayzTwoCents) posted this on Twitter.

By1lt42CMAAEilx.jpg

Skunkworks truly is a beautiful machine.

All hail this masterpiece! Bow before it and do not question how rediculous for only nonbelievers would even think so!

All hail this masterpiece! Bow before it and do not question how rediculous for only nonbelievers would even think so!

It has an overclocked i7-5960X, three 780s with hacked BIOSes in 3-way SLI, quad-channel DDR4 RAM (only 16GB it seems), and two custom water loops (one for the CPU and one for the GPUs), it's definitely ridiculous tongue.png On Twitter, he said it rendered a 1080p, 15Mbps, 16-minute-long video in just five minutes and over 170FPS in Battlefield 4, maxed out, across three 1080p monitors. That's insane.

For those of you interested, here's the full specs of Skunkworks.

• Brohoof 2

One of the things I think is so great about PC gaming is the digital aspect of it, assuming you use Steam.

Here I am, playing games that I won't be able to break. Really good, since I broke enough CDs by scratching them up in my day that I could probably cover the state of Rhode Island from head to toe in them :please:

Console games have been moved to the option of getting them digitally at the launch time as well. Can't really see how this is an advantage for PC gaming in of itself. Sure, consoles have a lot of issues in this area, but they do give the option for digital.

Oh, and the cost. Games are so much less expensive :D I picked up "Tales of Monkey Island" yesterday for 35 bucks. Since it's about 5 games, I ended up paying about 7 bucks a game. Wonderful games, too :D Spent 9 hours playing Ch. 2 today :proud:

I usually see console games going for about 60 bucks a pop at 'ol Wally World.

It's very true that PC gaming has much better price drops and more occasional (and better) sales. No denying that. However, I think it must be noted that saving all of that money requires a lot of patience, which a lot of us don't have. Big name PC games start out at the very same price as console games, or even more (The Sims 4 is like $70. >.>). Combined with the insane prices to acquire a PC that can run such games at high settings and with little or no lag/problems, I think of these price drops and sales to be less of a sheer advantage, and more of a requirement to keep one sane with PC gaming.

• Brohoof 1

It has an overclocked i7-5960X, three 780s with hacked BIOSes in 3-way SLI, quad-channel DDR4 RAM (only 16GB it seems), and two custom water loops (one for the CPU and one for the GPUs), it's definitely ridiculous img-3129254-1-tongue.png On Twitter, he said it rendered a 1080p, 15Mbps, 16-minute-long video in just five minutes and over 170FPS in Battlefield 4, maxed out, across three 1080p monitors. That's insane.

For those of you interested, here's the full specs of Skunkworks.

Saved that whole list on my account thank you very much.

For those of you interested, here's the full specs of Skunkworks

Thank you for giving me THE idea for my next Christmas present. I am going to start saving up, now. 

EDIT : It's funny how I got the strange feeling that I quoted the wrong person, lol

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 1

I never thought I would become self-conscious over my gaming setup. All I have is a crappy Dell laptop and a $15 mouse from CVS Pharmacy, the highlight of my collection is Blue Snowball mic that I only use when recording. 

• Brohoof 3

I never thought I would become self-conscious over my gaming setup. All I have is a crappy Dell laptop and a $15 mouse from CVS Pharmacy, the highlight of my collection is Blue Snowball mic that I only use when recording. 

You think you have a sad setup...I have a 7 year old Toshiba satellite laptop....a wireless mouse from Walmart, no mic....My most powerful PC is a ASUS-EEPc 1015 PN...that's a 10.1" netbook! My Toshiba is a 16" one!  I do have a desktop, but it's so slow (cobbled together with old high school parts) that the mouse on the screen is laggy!

• Brohoof 1

You think you have a sad setup...I have a 7 year old Toshiba satellite laptop....a wireless mouse from Walmart, no mic....My most powerful PC is a ASUS-EEPc 1015 PN...that's a 10.1" netbook! My Toshiba is a 16" one! I do have a desktop, but it's so slow (cobbled together with old high school parts) that the mouse on the screen is laggy!

Is the toshiba a p100, treble bolt?

Edited by Nuke87654

It's an L305...nothing too special. Was the cheapest at Best Buy.

Oh how miss my poor p100 :( had to have two motherboards burning out on it!

Edited by Nuke87654

Oh how miss my poor p100 :( had to have two motherboards burning out on it!

I name my computers...My Toshiba is ZombieCompy....because A two-year threw a temper tantrum and dropped it out the 2nd STORY WINDOW! of my foster home!....this computer has been through so much, and IT JUST WON'T DIE! I had to upgrade the RAM, and replace the HDD last summer because it died (I went from 160GB to 250GB, totally worth it)...and replace the battery and cable...but otherwise this thing I'm typing on right now is a beast!

I'll have a formal funeral when it does die.

My Asus on the other hand...got it in 2012, brand new...already have a new screen, new fan, new battery and cable, and it can't handle certain Linux's...I have Xubuntu on it now and it works fine, but I wanted Fedora on it....I call it Babycompy (cuz it's a netbook)

My desktop...yea...that thing has been in storage since I put it together...no place for it and no use for it (we have no internet at home). (this one is DeskyCompy)

• Brohoof 1

I name my computers...My Toshiba is ZombieCompy....because A two-year threw a temper tantrum and dropped it out the 2nd STORY WINDOW! of my foster home!....this computer has been through so much, and IT JUST WON'T DIE! I had to upgrade the RAM, and replace the HDD last summer because it died (I went from 160GB to 250GB, totally worth it)...and replace the battery and cable...but otherwise this thing I'm typing on right now is a beast!

I'll have a formal funeral when it does die.

My Asus on the other hand...got it in 2012, brand new...already have a new screen, new fan, new battery and cable, and it can't handle certain Linux's...I have Xubuntu on it now and it works fine, but I wanted Fedora on it....I call it Babycompy (cuz it's a netbook)

My desktop...yea...that thing has been in storage since I put it together...no place for it and no use for it (we have no internet at home). (this one is DeskyCompy)

Aye, give respect to the machine for soldiering such abuse and make sure the two year old's body is never found.

Need to get a linux os one of these days as well.

• Brohoof 1

I did not know there were still people out there without Internet at home. 

Heard about this CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374 Heard how Linus talked about how much of a overclocking beast this thing was. This could make an awesome emulating CPU considering it needs real powerful cores to work.

I kind of want to go AT LEAST quad-core(preferably six-core if I can) because even some now last-gen games like GTA4 can make use of four-cores.

Don't feel bad, here's mine:

Lenovo C540

Intel Pentium G2020(Dual Core, 2.9Ghz)

Intel HD Graphics, running in dual-channel mode(650Mhz-1GHz)

8GB RAM(2x4GB, 1600MHz)

Windows 8 

• Brohoof 3