Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

I kind of want to go AT LEAST quad-core(preferably six-core if I can) because even some now last-gen games like GTA4 can make use of four-cores.
 If you overclock it, it can compete with quad-cores.

I kind of want to go AT LEAST quad-core(preferably six-core if I can) because even some now last-gen games like GTA4 can make use of four-cores.

Don't feel bad, here's mine:

Lenovo C540

Intel Pentium G2020(Dual Core, 2.9Ghz)

Intel HD Graphics, running in dual-channel mode(650Mhz-1GHz)

8GB RAM(2x4GB, 1600MHz)

Windows 8 

I'd recommend that cpu if you want a retro pc as many older games are more dependent with how fast your cores are running rather than the number as is today and especially with Emulation, that cpu would be suitable. Course that's if you're a fan of overclocking.

Edited by Nuke87654

I'd recommend that cpu if you want a retro pc as many older games are more dependent with how fast your cores are running rather than the number as is today and especially with Emulation, that cpu would be suitable. Course that's if you're a fan of overclocking.

It's also great for PC gaming on a budget and HTPCs!

• Brohoof 1

If you overclock it, it can compete with quad-cores.

I really want to avoid OCing if I can because I don't want to risk frying something or burning it up prematurely. 

Yeah, this one IS nice for older games and emulation on up to PS1 and N64.

The core thing is why I was considering one of the quad or hex cores that run at 3.4GHz+ because I plan to use for normal gaming AND emulation 

• Brohoof 1

I really want to avoid OCing if I can because I don't want to risk frying something or burning it up prematurely. 
 If you have adequate cooling, then there isn't much risk involved with overclocking aside from instability if you do it wrong.
  • Brohoof 1

If you have adequate cooling, then there isn't much risk involved with overclocking aside from instability if you do it wrong.

I really can't afford cooling any more intense than what's built in to the parts, and extra fans if I can find a cheap case that allows it.

• Brohoof 1

I bought a 27" Imac for videoediting, programming, web design, and development mature stuff basically. ButI upgraded it so my specs are i7 3.5ghz (overclock to 3.9ghz) Quad Core CPU, gtx 780 dual GPU 4gb, 32gb ram, 3TB Fusion drive (What mac calls an SSHD ie a mix of SSD and HD). So I can easily max anything out at 60fps+ no drops. I'm going to keep playing PS3 JRPG's till they stop releasing them in say a year from now. In the meantime I'll do some gaming on computer, but Japan does not release RPG's on computer so I'll probably get a PS4. If you play Japanese games you need Sony's consoles. Sorry there just isn't the games I want on computer that's why it is not master race to me. (Pc gamer for nearly 15 years).

• Brohoof 2

Maybe, I think I'll still try to get parts that do the job without OCing though(but can be) and do further down the road when they get to be to slow.

All right, suit yourself.

I think that when I finally get my desktop built, I'm gonna install a custom water loop for the CPU in there. Case certainly is designed for it.

• Brohoof 2

What is everyone's opinion on Windows 8? I still use 7 personally so I haven't had a whole lot of exposure, everyone I know who uses it either loves it or hates it.

• Brohoof 1

What is everyone's opinion on Windows 8? I still use 7 personally so I haven't had a whole lot of exposure, everyone I know who uses it either loves it or hates it.

Windows 8 has a better optimization. However, the Metro Interface is not good. With 8.1, there was some sort of Start Menu but it was not the "normal" Start Menu. I finished downloading Windows 10 and I am planning on installing it tomorrow (can't be bothered, tonight, lol). Hopefully, it is what Windows 8 should have been.

At least, the " normal" Start Menu is back with a few improvements.  

Edited by boiteporte

Install Windows 8, update to 8.1, install Classic Shell. Enjoy.

Justaquestion.JPEG

how in the name of gabeN do you have two 780's in an iMAC???????

Also Uprgades? They hardly let you change the ram and if you do the warranty is voided.

You can request apple to upgrade the base specs when they build it. Go to the apple store pick the most expensive options that's basically what I built.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

There you go. Be aware that you need a pretty wide case to install it in.

I can vouch for this. It's a very tall cooler. My case (Cooler Master HAF 922) is 8'' deep roughly, and the top of that Cooler clears my side panel by about 3/4'' - 1'' inch. And my case is huge.(it's got a 8'' fan on the top of the case pulling air out and an 8'' fan on the front pulling air in)

Also fan wise, the bigger they are, the quieter they are, usually. Since they don't need to spin as fast as a smaller fan, to move the same amount (or more) amount of air.

Edited by :Flutterdash:

You can request apple to upgrade the base specs when they build it. Go to the apple store pick the most expensive options that's basically what I built.

You sure about that? The iMac tops out with a single GTX 780M. Unless you're talking dual eGPUs, you should consider getting some of your money back.

Combined with the insane prices to acquire a PC that can run such games at high settings and with little or no lag/problems

Okay, let me get one thing straight.

PC gaming doesn't have to be expensive. Here's an example budget build. Now then, why am I recommending a budget build, won't it not deliver the best graphics and all the fancy bells and whistles? Yes, but guess what? PC gaming isn't about that, nor is it about having the best hardware. It's about having the best experience, and that PC right there will deliver a better experience than any console can. Why? Because it's an open platform, there is no controlling body governing what can and can't go on it (aside from the community, which is very vocal towards issues going on in gaming because we legitimately care about gaming.)

I'm a PC gamer not because I want the best hardware or graphics, I'm a PC gamer because I want the best experience. I don't want to deal with shitty devs telling me "Oh you can't tell the difference between X and Y" or that 30FPS provides a "cinematic experience", or that all the microtransactions in a game are a good thing, or push pre-orders, or a middle-man charging me for something that isn't a premium anymore (multiplayer) and try to tempt me to shell out my money with the promise of "free" games, or trying to look for new ways to screw me over. I care about gaming. I really do. And consoles are destroying what gaming is about. Rather than pushing things forward, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo took the finish line back a few years and stick to where they're lazily sitting, spitting on the hard work of companies that achieved greatness before them. And yeah, I'm a Nintendo fan, but I will admit that they are not without faults. I am not some blind fool.

• Brohoof 3

Oh boy. In a few months I will be building my first rig. Here are the parts I'll be using. Feel free to comment if it's good or if I should swap anything or add anything.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-3757-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 FTW w/ ACX Cooling Video Card

PSU: CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

Also, I'm adding these in:

LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12NS30 - OEM

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2

Will probably add an SSD later, as well as an OCable CPU and an intercooler(Probably a liquid cooler.
  • Brohoof 1

Oh boy. In a few months I will be building my first rig. Here are the parts I'll be using. Feel free to comment if it's good or if I should swap anything or add anything.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-3757-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 FTW w/ ACX Cooling Video Card

PSU: CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

Also, I'm adding these in:

LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12NS30 - OEM

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2

Will probably add an SSD later, as well as an OCable CPU and an intercooler(Probably a liquid cooler.

Why not the unlocked i5-4690K for only $15 more?

• Brohoof 1