Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Dont really see how WASD is more precise than Analog.

When you're playing an MMO or a FPS, WASD and mouse are more precise because you can turn on a dime, and it allows for faster gameplay, for example, if you're fighting a horde of enemies in an MMO or a game like League of Legends, you have more freedom when moving around and analog is simply slower and you can't react fast enough.

Similarly in a FPS. accuracy is important and you use the mouse for firing and turning the camera, and again, analog just isn't as fast when reacting to enemies, and you can't always defend yourself in time, and WASD allows for fast strafing in tune with the mouse so that you aren't turning two thumbsticks at the same time, which gets annoying sometimes and again, you can't react fast enough.

Trust me, if you play a FPS with a keyboard and mouse, you won't want to go back to a controller. Controllers are best for platformers and racers.

Edited by Celli

I actually think analog sticks are better than mice for FPS games. With an analog stick, it's much easier to turn around 180 degrees as quickly as possible--and you don't have to worry about going off the mouse pad.

With an analog stick, it's much easier to turn around 180 degrees as quickly as possible--and you don't have to worry about going off the mouse pad.

I dunno, I think turning is easier with a mouse, also, you can change the sensitivity so it doesn't slide off. 

I can't even touch a FPS unless I'm using a mouse.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 3

I dunno, I think turning is easier with a mouse, also, you can change the sensitivity so it doesn't slide off. 

I can't even touch a FPS unless I'm using a mouse.

Exactly.  I have my Steelseries Rival's sensitivity set up incredibly high because frankly, I can't stand aiming at the speed of a snail.

Also, it makes screen browsing quicker which I greatly appreciate (much more noticeable now since I have two monitors).

• Brohoof 1

I actually think analog sticks are better than mice for FPS games. With an analog stick, it's much easier to turn around 180 degrees as quickly as possible--and you don't have to worry about going off the mouse pad.

Using controller to play FPS games feels very sloppy to me. To be fair, I've always used mouse and keyboard for gaming... but then consider fact that FPS games on consoles often have aim assist and perhaps even larger hitboxes than PC counterparts.

I have not used a mouse pad in years so that's non-issue to me... though that wouldn't really be an issue with me even if I had one. I mean, lifting mouse off of desk to rotate in-game is normal.

I mean, lifting mouse off of desk to rotate in-game is normal.

Yeah, that's what I don't like. Having to pick up my mouse and move it back where it belongs is awkward, annoying, and cumbersome. I don't mind the sacrifice in precision with an analog stick, because quick 180 degree turns are so much easier, smoother, and less clunky.

For the record, I have adjusted my sensitivity settings, but it still doesn't feel nearly as graceful as the smooth gliding of an analog stick.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

Yeah, that's what I don't like. Having to pick up my mouse and move it back where it belongs is awkward, annoying, and cumbersome. I don't mind the sacrifice in precision with an analog stick, because quick 180 degree turns are so much easier, smoother, and less clunky.

I guess I'm very used to it then; I don't even think about it when I do it.

@,@@Admiral Regulus,  

I don't seem to be sharing your problem  :lol:

sig-4191408.IMG_20151102_135834.jpg

Unless I'm playing CS:GO and put low sense for dat accuracy.

If I'm playing for fun I just play at higher sense and never have to bother lifting the mouse, which is preferable for chilling  :pinkie:

Edit: I actually incidentally came across this on PCMR on reddit, and this is one of the main reasons I don't like shooters on consoles. Not only is is cumbersome to aim, when I actually get a kill, I don't feel like I deserved it.

Edited by Blaze Bronson
  • Brohoof 2

For the record, I have adjusted my sensitivity settings, but it still doesn't feel nearly as graceful as the smooth gliding of an analog stick.

Takes some time to get used to. After a few months PC gaming, it feels so much better than to use an analog stick.

I really don't pay attention to it anymore. Even adjusting your sensitivity for you mouse won't be so simple. It's taken me quite a while to find a perfect sensitivity for me when I play games. Not only that, but switching through different mice finding something that works perfectly for you. Can take some time I guess

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Had a new CPU and unfortunately, while it had potential, it was the incorrect shape for me to upgrade my PC. Here is the pic:

http://i.imgur.com/CXCwdey.jpg?1

Mine is the AMD FX series for the processor, but as I found out, it doesn't match with the one on my PC, so apparently, it was a lost cause. If anyone can tell me if there's a processor similar to the one I previously had that matches the shape for me to upgrade my processor, please let me know which. Amazon doesn't seem to show which of the correct processor that allows me to fit right in without having to scrape the bottom of a barrel for a new motherboard in order to get the new processor.

I'm spoiled to using my Xbox360 gamepad on everything that isn't point and click so I can just kick back and relax instead of hunching over the keyboard.

Edited by Shoboni

I made a case in Sketchup, as self-building one appeals to me and I may do so in the future...

67900.png

67901.png

Of course, the parts inside the case were downloaded from the sketchup warehouse. As you can see by the rather basic detail of the case, I don't have the skills to make complex objects like fans. :P

Oh yeah, and ssd's would be mounted behind the motherboard.

Edited by Mouse

Right now my pre-built computer is on the brink of retiring. Never thought it would happen that quickly. I'm gonna save some money for a new one, but this time I'll build one. Also one that plays new games and using fraps without problems.

I need some suggestions from you guys about components, that in a top 5/6 suggestions of each computer component like:

- motherboard

- processor

- CPU cooler

- graphics card

- harddrive and/or SSD

- RAM memory

- power supply (Europlug version)

- optical DVD drive (not sure if having a blu-ray drive could be usefull, still no BLu-Ray gaming on computer).

For the computer case I would probably use a classic style like this:

sig-4253107.sig-4253107.cscol8027a1400w.

I won't use the WIndows 10 OS since I'm still fine with Windows 7.

Edited by Limeblossom

^What are you looking at paying?

Something with a limit of (around) 600 Euros. It could get higher.

A $1000/1200 Euro graphics card is a bit too expensive for me, unless I won the lottery ;). I can't deny that the GeForce Titan X is pretty neat.

Edited by Limeblossom

This would be good for gaming and overclocking. http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Cloudyy/saved/z6Mkcf

Thanks. I shall keep that in my wish list.

Personally, I would bump the HDD to 2 TB. Just 1 can fill up pretty quick and it would be just a little more expensive.

My current 1TB HDD is still not full, more than half of the space available. But using a 2TB version is no problem for me, since the new games I'm looking out for take big amount of that.

How about the SSD? using that as an support tool or for running OS and others?

Here's a unique website that manufactures custom transparent cases. You got the cash and desire, that's the site you're looking for. 

http://clearpc.ca/store/products/grande-ii-pc-case/

I shall keep that as an option.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, since you already have a hard drive an SSD would be a good option. Putting your OS and most used programs on that will drastically improve boot times and make applications installed on the SSD boot quicker, adding to the overall responsiveness to your computer.

• Brohoof 1