Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Hmm, since you already have a hard drive an SSD would be a good option. Putting your OS and most used programs on that will drastically improve boot times and make applications installed on the SSD boot quicker, adding to the overall responsiveness to your computer.

Sounds good to me.

Is a SSD like this one good enough?

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/samsung-850-evo-ssd-250gb/9200000035651857/

well i dont have a photo but my tower specs

Name= black beauty (currently used as a ftp and tekkit server)

- rosewill extended atx case all black (customized)

- 3 1tb hdd

- 6 standard red 120mm fans

- 2 coolermaster top of the line preformance fans

- 1 280mm side fan

- gtx 960 evga ssc (overclocked)

- rog maximus vii hero mobo

- intell i5 (1 level lower than devils canon cpu, dont remember #) overclocked

- hyper 212 evo cooler

- corsair psu 800w

- touch screen fan controller

- disk drive

- red interior lighting

- cpu temps dont ever go over 35c while at full load, gpu generaly at 45-50

- i use a 16.5 inch 720p for primary screen and a 81" 1080P projector screen as secondary (for gaming and movies)

for a laptop i got a rog g751j

- i7 ultra 8core

- 965m

-125ssd

-1tb hdd

Edited by Shadow_Dash

Any memory will work, just look for the cheapest 8gb kit. :)

Also, I changed the original build up a bit to include an intel i5. While it has a lower core count and lower clock speed, it's a more "efficient" platform, so essentially each GHz gives more performance per core when compared to the AMD processor, even when the latter is overclocked. This makes it much better for gaming, and not that much more expensive because you can stick with the stock cooler because the processor is not overclockable. (which isn't really a problem, because again the i5 will win against AMD processor even if you overclock the heck out of it.) So it might be a better choice, I have realized.

It is worth noting, however, that the AMD processor will excel at certain tasks due to its higher core count. However, if you're only gaming the extra cores won't provide a benefit, as pretty much every game uses only 4 cores (what the i5 has), so the two extra cores won't be of much use in that situation.

the revised build: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Cloudyy/saved/P3RWGX

EDIT: Also, I took out the hard drive because you already have one... And come to think of it, the i5 is a lot more expensive than I thought because I forgot to account for that fact. So the i5 is realistically like 70 euro more than the AMD processor and the motherboard/ram. Personally I think it's worth it, but it's up to you.

And I forgot to mention. It's important to choose the right RAM and motherboard for your processor. The i5 needs a completely different type of motherboard than the AMD processor, and the i5 uses ddr4 ram while the AMD uses ddr3. Luckily, pcpartpicker accounts for these issues, and it will tell you if the motherboard or ram is compatible with your processor.

Edited by Mouse

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Man, this thread has been dead, huh? Time to change that!

So, Steam Sale is coming up soon. Anyone got any plans for games? I'm gonna be getting Dark Souls II, and probably Saint's Row IV.

Also, obviously the new 1080 and 1070 have released from Nvidia, and gonna be saving for a 1080 sometime. I plan to get into 1440p gaming.

Also, obviously the new 1080 and 1070 have released from Nvidia, and gonna be saving for a 1080 sometime. I plan to get into 1440p gaming.

Don't buy a 1080, at least not now. There aren't that many of them, and retailers are scalping the hell out of them. 

I think the 1070 will be a decent card, but benchmarks I've seen so far shows that it doesn't quite live up to Nvidia's claims that it outperforms the Titan X, it only matches the 980 Ti. I think if you can find one, I would buy that. 

@@Vulon Bii,Actually, the 1080 is supposed to be as Powerful as 2 980s in SLI.

And the 980 ti is only somewhat beefier than the 980, and the 1080 costs less, so, I'm gonna get that. I have a 970 atm, but I'm gonna save up for an ACX 1080.

And you sure the benchmarks aren't for the founder's edition?

And you sure the benchmarks aren't for the founder's edition?

They'd have to be, that's the only one available right now.

And the 980 Ti isn't just a "beefier" 980. It has the GM200 core, like the Titan X. It just has half the VRAM.

(edited)

The 1080 has the other versions coming soon, and the non-founder's editions are supposedly faster than the titan X and 980 ti

iirc the FE cards are simply NVIDIA reference boards/coolers with jacked up price points to lure in early adopters who can't wait for aftermarket boards.

@@Vulon Bii

M.2 SATA or NVMe? I've got a SATA 850 EVO M.2 and it's been working well, but a friend of mine with the NVMe 950 PRO has some weird issues between the SSD and his system's BIOS. Price you pay for being a relatively early adopter I suppose. Blazing performance. Not that he really notices, though.

Edited by Lunatic Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Good to see this thread again. I'm surprised I didn't post here after building my PC and getting my dual monitors, but oh well. It's still decent timing, since I'm glad to say my brother got a new mouse and keyboard today, and he gave me use his old gaming mouse:

5U6tbDx.jpg

Man, this thread has been dead, huh? Time to change that!

So, Steam Sale is coming up soon. Anyone got any plans for games? I'm gonna be getting Dark Souls II, and probably Saint's Row IV.

It sort of depends on what's for sale and how much. My mom said she'll let me have $25 just for the sale and at the moment I'm looking at Sonic Lost World and Final Fantasy VII myself, although if anything else interesting goes onsale I'll probably put some of my birthday money on my Steam account as well. Gotta sacrifice my wallet to Gaben, after all.

• Brohoof 1

M.2 SATA or NVMe? I've got a SATA 850 EVO M.2 and it's been working well, but a friend of mine with the NVMe 950 PRO has some weird issues between the SSD and his system's BIOS. Price you pay for being a relatively early adopter I suppose. Blazing performance, though. Not that he really notices, though.

I have a 128 GB M.2 SSD as my boot drive. I do want to get an 2.5 inch SSD to replace both M.2 and 3.5 inch HDD. The trouble is that I found one by Mushkin that is 1 TB for $250. I get would get two, but that obviously would be $500.

@,This thread sort of slowed down without people like Daring here, to be fair, and not sure of other people, though.

• Brohoof 1

I still play Vice City on a Windows XP computer with a cathode ray tube monitor.  My laptop can run GTA IV on 10 frames per second.

I wish I had a Windows XP. Looks and sounds nostalgic. I'm not big on PC gaming, so why not go with it? Though, I used to game on PC all the time, but all I would really do is play MCSG on Mineplex, These days, I'd wake up and play Smash Bros or PAC-MAN if I don't feel like it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I had a run in a couple of weeks ago which I thought was a Graphics card issue.  But as it turns out was a Power Supply issue.  So not only do I have a new Power Supply(XFX TS 750W Gold Standard), but I now sport a new Graphics Card(AMD Radeon R7 370 at 4GB.)

But in the near future, my computer's MOBO will be completely outdated and I will have to get a new rig.  :(

That being said, why aren't 2-3TB Hard Drives the new standard?

Edited by SaburoDaimando

I meant: Why are they not standard in new computers?

Good question.

Most laptops I see still use less than 1 TB.

Especially considering TB HDDs are super cheap these days.

Good question.

Most laptops I see still use less than 1 TB.

Especially considering TB HDDs are super cheap these days.

Still waiting on those 3TB 2.5" drives. Would be nice to pack some serious storage in a desktop too.

• Brohoof 1