Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Well, the cooler shroud has extra creases on it compared to the previous reference design, so yes, this is the Titan XP.

Ah, I see.

Well, the 1070 would be a more sensible option.

Ah, I see.

Well, the 1070 would be a more sensible option.

I was only joking about the Titan. I would not recommend a $1200 graphics card unless someone wanted to max out every game at 4K and have the graphics card not even sweat.

• Brohoof 1

I was only joking about the Titan. I would not recommend a $1200 graphics card unless someone wanted to max out every game at 4K and have the graphics card not even sweat.

Doesn't the 1070 perform similar to a Maxwell Titian, or at least pretty close.

Got some goodies (finally switched to SSD and did fresh install, my old boot HDD is now a dedicated game drive)

o9vsRXB.jpg

With the new cooler I managed to do some overclocking (still getting good CPU temps maxing out at 56 degrees during torture test, to)

bsMKLcj.png

Doesn't the 1070 perform similar to a Maxwell Titian, or at least pretty close.

The 1070 does outperform the old Titan X by a very small margin. It beats out the 980 Ti by a slightly larger margin, and that was basically the Titan X with half the VRAM.

Edited by Vulon Bii

I have a full PC setup that I got for only $1400 in 2013 that was a special Dell customer offer as we already had a existing Dell dimension 4600 series from 2003 that ran windows XP. Now here are the specs for both PCs:

Dell demention 4600 series

CPU: Intel Pentium 4

Hard drive space: 85GB

GPU: unknown possibly a dell base GPU

RAM: around 2GB

CASE: dell demention production case 2001-2003

Dell XYS

CPU Intel I7-8core (5th generation)

HARD DRIVE SPACE: 2TB

GPU: Nivda GTX GE-FORCE 660

RAM: 8GB

CASE: WAVES XYS

My new computer originally ran windows 8 but now has windows 10.

It is one of the best molty use PCs for 2013 :)

And I don't know what motherboard is in both PCs.

My new computer is OK because all I use it for is browsing the internet and playing minecraft.

Edited by Techno Universal

• 3 months later...

My glorious rig:
2x GTX 1070

Intel i7 4.0GHz 6700k

Corsair Hydro H110i CPU water cooler

Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz

Corsair HX850 PSU

Asus BD-rom.

240+60GB SSD

500GB HDD (+2TB external).
CM Storm Trooper case.

Thrustmaster T500RS steering wheel w/TH-8A 8-way shifter.

HTC Vive.

And a generic joystick.

post-40375-0-00809400-1485871470_thumb.jpg

My glorious rig:

2x GTX 1070

Intel i7 4.0GHz 6700k

Corsair Hydro H110i CPU water cooler

Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz

Corsair HX850 PSU

Asus BD-rom.

240+60GB SSD

500GB HDD (+2TB external).

CM Storm Trooper case.

Thrustmaster T500RS steering wheel w/TH-8A 8-way shifter.

HTC Vive.

And a generic joystick.

Dammit, it's better than mine...

Lately, I have been burning through my Steam collection, having plowed through a number of video games, such as

Batman: Arkham Origin

Castle of Illusions

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

DooM 2016

Batman: Arkham City

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Lume

Fairy Bloom Freesia

Freedom Planet

LEGO Batman

Beyond the Echo

Hard Reset

Shank

IT always feels good to get some games off my list. So far, I have 63 games(Out of 600+ titles) completed off my Steam list, and I'm going to go for what may be my 64th title beatened on my Steam account.

• 3 months later...

I recently upgraded by PSU and went Intel, so I'm rocking a i5-6600k OC'd to 4.2Ghz. It works beautiful got Gamecube emulation and even stabilized my performance in some games that are more CPU hungry.

Next big upgrade I have my eye on is a new case, new MOBO (this one was defective to where a SATA port fell off with barely any any accidental stress while adjusting wires but I couldn't RMA because I was using it for school) and either a 1070 or 1080 depending on what prices do with the release of the 1080ti. Also new fans and stuff because I'm going purple lighting and dubbing the new build that transitions into NICOLE.

Also finished the new Doom recently (working on clean-up duty 100%ing the maps now) and loved it

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have a modest but modern build.

CPU - i5 6600

MoBo - Gigabyte z170

RAM - 16GB DDR4 @ 2133

GPU - Gigabyte RX 480 8GB

HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

PSU - Corsair RM650X

Monitor - Asus 27in 1080p 60hz IPS

Edited by DayShadow

5 minutes ago, Jonny Music said:

If any of you here are looking to get a great <$20-ish gaming mouse, I'd suggest you check this out :) :

I have a wireless one from the company in a similar design and I really like it. The side buttons are great.

NP7Lwzw.jpg

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

I think I'll keep my G900.

No problem. Just wanted to mention it. :)

6 minutes ago, Shoboni said:

I have a wireless one from the company in a similar design and I really like it. The side buttons are great.

NP7Lwzw.jpg

I'm starting to become a loyal customer of their mice (since I still have mine and love it). :)

• Brohoof 1

Dang what happened to this thread lol

4 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Yo, I need some assistance: https://mlpforums.com/topic/166243-razer-vs-alienware/

^Needs to be a laptop one of those three: Razer Blade 2017 refresh UHD, Alienware 15 r3 2016, or Razer Blade Pro 2017

Neither.

If you want a good gaming laptop, go MSI or ASUS.

Or just go the full mile and build yourself a good gaming rig. You'll save more money in the long run and unless you travel a lot, gaming laptops aren't very good for longevity.

• Brohoof 3

Hi there. I'm not back, just thought I'd poke my head in for a bit, chat for a bit, then vanish again.

Some things have changed since my last post here!

• EVGA ACX GTX 760 > Asus Strix GTX 1070
  • ARRRRRRGEEEEBEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • I picked up a Lenovo ThinkPad T420 on eBay shortly after my departure, to help me make it through college. It has since been replaced with a Gigabyte Aero 14.
  • I got an R7 240. Sue me. Don't worry, it's in an old PC that wouldn't be bottlenecked by it much.

oh yeah, this is completely irrelevant, but I'm a furry now.

5 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Yo, I need some assistance: https://mlpforums.com/topic/166243-razer-vs-alienware/

^Needs to be a laptop one of those three: Razer Blade 2017 refresh UHD, Alienware 15 r3 2016, or Razer Blade Pro 2017

I'd honestly suggest none of those. If you're gonna get a gaming laptop, you'd want something more dependable than Alienware or Razer. MSI, Asus or Gigabyte would fit that bill better. I'd recommend the Gigabyte Aero 14 or 15 personally, but I may be biased since I picked one up recently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Brohoof 1

I think as a whole gaming laptops are just a terrible waste of money. Extremely over priced and no longevity. I personally would get a good $600 - 700 laptop for on the go if you like to do some light gaming along with browsing the web and watching videos and then take the extra money and build a fantastic gaming desktop. Desktop gaming is a far more enjoyable experience and easier to maintain not to mention economical. 

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, DayShadow said:

I think as a whole gaming laptops are just a terrible waste of money. Extremely over priced and no longevity. I personally would get a good $600 - 700 laptop for on the go if you like to do some light gaming along with browsing the web and watching videos and then take the extra money and build a fantastic gaming desktop. Desktop gaming is a far more enjoyable experience and easier to maintain not to mention economical. 

Why not go for $800 for the laptop? You can get a laptop with decent build quality, a low-end IPS panel and a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti for that money now. But yes, building a desktop is always better, especially if you spend a lot of time at home, by your desk or TV.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, Shoboni said:

I've heard some bad things about Alienware so I'd choose the Razor, myself.

9 hours ago, Celli said:

Dang what happened to this thread lol. Neither. If you want a good gaming laptop, go MSI or ASUS.

Or just go the full mile and build yourself a good gaming rig. You'll save more money in the long run and unless you travel a lot, gaming laptops aren't very good for longevity.

8 hours ago, DayShadow said:

8 hours ago, Dahing said:

Why not go for $800 for the laptop? You can get a laptop with decent build quality, a low-end IPS panel and a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti for that money now. But yes, building a desktop is always better, especially if you spend a lot of time at home, by your desk or TV.

8 hours ago, Dahing said:

I'd honestly suggest none of those. If you're gonna get a gaming laptop, you'd want something more dependable than Alienware or Razer. MSI, Asus or Gigabyte would fit that bill better. I'd recommend the Gigabyte Aero 14 or 15 personally, but I may be biased since I picked one up recently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Money is not really an issue lol. 

I value a few things those 3 laptops provide.

#1 They ARE laptops (I tend to like the portable aspect in general; and I am the type of person to lug it around pretty much everywhere; hell i used to have a 10 lb MSI laptop and that thing was practically glued to me at all times no matter where I went lol)

#2 The Razer Blade 14'' and the Alienware 15 r3 both have centered keyboards. Something I cannot stand is when a laptop insists on having its keyboard shifted over to the left in order to make space for the numberpad (which I never, ever use). It tends to make for a very uncomfortable typing/ gaming experience, at least for me. I say this having experience with this type of keyboard on my old MSI "gaming" laptop from 2012.

#3 The Razer Blade Pro DOES have one of those shifted keyboards. However, the trackpad placement, combined with its size and multi-touch buttonless design, makes it the perfect accompaniment to the shifted keyboard, as resting your hands in the neutral positions for both the WASD keys and the center of the trackpad WOULD indeed keep your general arm/ hand position CENTERED with the screen. (and yes I know this whole "centering" thing sounds very petty, but it is inconceivably annoying to play games for extended periods of time unless the general positioning meets my requirements lol)

#4 I value build quality quite alot. I don't particularly like when my laptop just feels "cheap", you know? Like, when the plastic creaks, or the keyboard flexes too much as you type, etc. All the above laptops have quite stellar build quality from what I have researched (and believe you me, I have done a hella lot of research xD)

#5 Speaker sound quality must at least be good. Don't want tinny, or overly bass heavy speakers, or anything that crackles at higher volumes.

#6 Generally, I would like the screen to be extremely beautiful. 100% sRGB, 80-95+% adobeRGB, good NTSC coverage if possible; the whole shebang. Lower response time is a  plus but not too important to me as long as its not obscenely high. Screens that dim via PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) are ABSOLUTELY prohibited. I can very clearly see that screen flickering (even at above 300 hz) and oh God is it an eyesore. Also, Glossy is a MUST (but I "might" be willing to break that one requirement for the Alienware 15 r3; that is the only laptop I've found good enough to get me to potentially make a compromise)

#7 Lastly, the wifi-card must be good. Good connection, etc.

Edited by K.Rool Addict