Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

1 minute ago, Celli said:

@K.Rool Addicthttps://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154497&cm_re=msi_gaming_laptop-_-34-154-497-_-Product

This is a much better laptop for the price. Good build quality, good specs, decent price.

^Have you lost your mind? xD A GTX 1050-1050 ti? Personally, even the 1060 in the Razer Blade 14 is cutting it too close for me >.> I intend to play games at native 4k resolution on my laptop >:T

(If I was gonna drop money on an MSI, I'd likely get something more like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154462 ) My old 2012 MSI laptop was far from what I'd consider "premium" build quality, so I would prefer to steer clear from their brand honestly lol

Also, MSI seems pretty obsessed with that atrocious off center keyboard + awkward tiny trackpad placement. D:

(edited)
22 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^Have you lost your mind? xD A GTX 1050-1050 ti? Personally, even the 1060 in the Razer Blade 14 is cutting it too close for me >.> I intend to play games at native 4k resolution on my laptop >:T

(If I was gonna drop money on an MSI, I'd likely get something more like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154462 ) My old 2012 MSI laptop was far from what I'd consider "premium" build quality, so I would prefer to steer clear from their brand honestly lol

Also, MSI seems pretty obsessed with that atrocious off center keyboard + awkward tiny trackpad placement. D:

You're really willing to drop $3000+ on a gaming laptop? Also, sorry, but Razer and Alienware aren't very good brands. You'll get more out of your money with MSI or ASUS.

Edited by Celli

Just now, Celli said:

Do you travel a lot?

Constantly lol

State-to-state, hotel to hotel, all the freaking time Q.Q 

Believe me, I have considered opting for a traditional desktop before. I know it's way better value; hell I could literally get Titan XP SLI on a desktop with damn good CPU and all other necessary components like monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound system.... and all of this for well under $5,000 xD

But I really need that portability (even if the laptop is like 8 lbs, it's still portable enough lol)

Another tidbit in relation to this whole travel issue. Even when I DO settle down for a few months in a single location, I really don't like sitting in one place to play games. Like, even in front of a big screen tv doesn't suit me. I like having a small device I can pick up and drop on the bed and play on my stomach for awhile, then take it into the kitchen with me as I prepare a meal, bring it down to the library, here there, every which where~ /)^3^(\

I could actually get both the Alienware 15 r3 and the Razer Blade 14 4k models for less than the top-tier Razer Blade Pro, now that I think about it :o Idk, which to opt for though, since I tend to like "wow factor" machines more than anything else. Maybe it would be a better idea to not put all my eggs in one basket? xD

On 5/25/2017 at 10:17 AM, K.Rool Addict said:

Constantly lol

State-to-state, hotel to hotel, all the freaking time Q.Q 

Believe me, I have considered opting for a traditional desktop before. I know it's way better value; hell I could literally get Titan XP SLI on a desktop with damn good CPU and all other necessary components like monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound system.... and all of this for well under $5,000 xD

But I really need that portability (even if the laptop is like 8 lbs, it's still portable enough lol)

Another tidbit in relation to this whole travel issue. Even when I DO settle down for a few months in a single location, I really don't like sitting in one place to play games. Like, even in front of a big screen tv doesn't suit me. I like having a small device I can pick up and drop on the bed and play on my stomach for awhile, then take it into the kitchen with me as I prepare a meal, bring it down to the library, here there, every which where~ /)^3^(\

I could actually get both the Alienware 15 r3 and the Razer Blade 14 4k models for less than the top-tier Razer Blade Pro, now that I think about it :o Idk, which to opt for though, since I tend to like "wow factor" machines more than anything else. Maybe it would be a better idea to not put all my eggs in one basket? xD

For wow factor, why not something like this? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predator21x

Absurdity aside, I have an Alienware 17 R3 myself and it's been great for me. Friend of mine who's obsessed with gaming laptops and seems to change it up every year recently picked up one of the new R4s. Build quality is super solid and he tore down the whole thing to Liquid Metal it and it barely cracks mid 60s full load with a 1080 under the hood.

Blade 14 is pretty sexy, seems like what a Macbook could've been if Apple gave a damn about anything other than making things thinner. Not completely convinced on Razer QA given what I've seen and heard about their peripherals but you're hard pressed to find more power in a thinner and lighter package.

2 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

That thing is MASSIVE. Far too large to fit on someone's lap. I think with something that size, we could put it on a desk. I call it the "desktop". 

BRB, going to the patent office.

To be honest with you I'm more impressed by the case it comes in.

http://www.unbox.ph/gadget/acer-predator-21-x-unboxing-initial-review-the-craziest-gaming-notebook-weve-ever-used/

In my opinion no matter which gaming laptop you get there's always going to be a flaw (or flaws). These companies always pre-install bloatware and unnecessary software that will cause your PC to perform less than what it's capable of, as well as heavy hardware bottlenecks, especially with gaming laptops that come with a 5,400 RPM hard drive. What i did with my MSI laptop is after the warranty expired, i upgraded the 5,400 RPM hard drive to an SSD, added one more stick of RAM and completely re-installed Windows 10. After all of those upgrades it's been amazing. It's alright to re-install Windows on newer gaming laptops because the product key for modern Windows 10 or 8.1 devices are integrated onto the UEFI BIOS, so less of a hassle there.   

I should mention that I have recently acquired an AMD Ryzen 5 1600X, a Gigabyte GA-B350M Gaming 3, and 32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM, along with an AM4 bracket for my H100i V2. I've wanted to do a Ryzen build since Ryzen's launch back in March. I got the 1600X since the 1700X is a bit out of my price range. But still, 6 cores and 12 threads are going to be much more handy than 4 cores and 4 threads.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Altscar said:

In my opinion no matter which gaming laptop you get there's always going to be a flaw (or flaws). These companies always pre-install bloatware and unnecessary software that will cause your PC to perform less than what it's capable of, as well as heavy hardware bottlenecks, especially with gaming laptops that come with a 5,400 RPM hard drive. What i did with my MSI laptop is after the warranty expired, i upgraded the 5,400 RPM hard drive to an SSD, added one more stick of RAM and completely re-installed Windows 10. After all of those upgrades it's been amazing. It's alright to re-install Windows on newer gaming laptops because the product key for modern Windows 10 or 8.1 devices are integrated onto the UEFI BIOS, so less of a hassle there.   

Lol, these laptops come with 512 GB- 2 TB (PCIe) SSD's. xD

9 hours ago, Azure Envy said:

For wow factor, why not something like this? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predator21x

It's funny you link that: 

66b0706f49d47380f7117c63e64e504cc1d5d1f6

$9,000 is a bit excessive. Especially for a laptop with only a matte-finished 1080p display -.- If this thing was super slim and had a beautiful 4k display, like the Razer Blade Pro, but still had a 21 inch curved screen, I would prolly be way more interested.

It just looks way too clunky and "bleh"  

Now this thing looks pretty cool, as long as we are on the subject of Acer:

Edited by K.Rool Addict

I can't wait for Quake champions to release.

Also, look at this

cccc59eacd3e44e5832463556cc5bf56.png

This is reason for me to hope it never releases on consoles. Ever.

Just now, Vulon Bii said:

I know a good slipgate to shove that guy in.

Same. How have you enjoyed the Beta?

3 minutes ago, Celli said:

Same. How have you enjoyed the Beta?

Haven't played it all that much, but it seems to run incredibly well, looks very good, controls are top-notch, and it is very badass. After Doom last year, I'm confident id knows their doing. Can't say I like the special abilities, (or whatever they called them) but hopefully, classic mode will fix that.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Vulon Bii said:

Haven't played it all that much, but it seems to run incredibly well, looks very good, controls are top-notch, and it is very badass. After Doom last year, I'm confident id knows their doing. Can't say I like the special abilities, (or whatever they called them) but hopefully, classic mode will fix that.

I hope to see a sequel to DOOM myself. I am willing to wait as long as I need to.

2 minutes ago, Celli said:

I hope to see a sequel to DOOM myself. I am willing to wait as long as I need to.

If there is, I hope to see John Romero's head is on a pike, just like in the old one.

• Brohoof 1

30082433852l-713x740.png

I used to think LGA-2011 was a big socket. I was wrong.

This is AMD's 4,094-pin Socket TR4. You actually need a screwdriver to open the lid, that's how badass it is. It is believed (or at least Linus thinks so) that it's actually two CPUs on a single die given the two 8-pin connectors to needed power it. On the right side of the right hand side of the board, you see a what ASUS is calling a "DIMM.2" slot. It's essentially a PCI-E M.2 slot that has a special mounting. 

It's also fucking huge.

A shame this particular AMD board is named after the TV in the shady motel where prostitution, drug deals, and shootings are more common than actual customers.

(edited)

Since I posted here last (which was almost a year ago damn), my brother gave me a newer PC that he previously built.

Specs are as follows:

AMD FX-6300 (3.5 GHz (OC'd to 4.3), 6-core)

Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB Windforce

8GB (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3

Intel 40GB SSD, Western Digital 500GB HDD, Western Digital 1TB HDD

Corsair Builder 600W PSU

All inside a Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Case

NriPzoQ.jpg

Appropriately nicknamed the "Gamecube 2"

Edited by SuperMEIBrony
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, SuperMEIBrony said:

Since I posted here last (which was almost a year ago damn), my brother gave me a newer PC that he previously built.

Specs are as follows:

AMD FX-6300 (3.5 GHz (OC'd to 4.3), 6-core)

Gigabyte GTX 970 3.5GB Windforce

8GB (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3

Intel 40GB SSD, Western Digital 500GB HDD, Western Digital 1TB HDD

Corsair Builder 600W PSU

All inside a Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Case

NriPzoQ.jpg

Appropriately nicknamed the "Gamecube 2"

Fixed that for you.

• Brohoof 2

Take Two sent openiv a cease and desist, stating that pc mods are illegal. 

http://openiv.com/?p=1324

Really scummy, take two. Even when rockstar has said single player mods are okay, and have even promoted a few mods.

• Brohoof 1