Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

1 minute ago, Celli said:

@Vulon Bii It requires an entirely new motherboard?

Yep. Z370 is a new chipset, and Coffee Lake will not run on Z270 motherboards.

Seriously, I hope Intel starts to actually give a crap now that AMD is competitive from the lower end all the way to HEDT. I don't think I'd be giving up my 1600X even if Coffee Lake turns out to actually being better.

• Brohoof 1

This case was pretty hyped during Computex this year. I actually liked the way it looked, and still do. But the title and thumbnail of this particular review pretty much sums it up.

Dammit Cooler Master, you have good ideas, but fall waaaay short of what is presented. I quite like the Mastercase series, but all the pricy accessories is like having DLC for a case.

On 10/2/2017 at 7:20 PM, Vulon Bii said:

Yep. Z370 is a new chipset, and Coffee Lake will not run on Z270 motherboards.

Seriously, I hope Intel starts to actually give a crap now that AMD is competitive from the lower end all the way to HEDT. I don't think I'd be giving up my 1600X even if Coffee Lake turns out to actually being better.

Based on what I've seen so far, I still don't think they give a crap. They still own nearly 80% of the market and unless Epyc starts picking up major design wins in HPC, I'm not sure how much of a dent Zen is making.

I'm hoping they do, and I'm wrong and we'll start to see some real innovation and actual MOVEMENT in IPC.

It seems like the differences in Z370 are some extra pins to support the higher power demands of Coffee Lake (hot coffee? hahaha ha... fuck it, not sorry)

Does anyone else want to kick a vendor in the balls when they pass off some Pentium or Athlon II computer equipped with some variant of those shoddy Radeon HD 7000s video cards as a gaming rig for 600+ dollars?

Sometimes it will be even more expensive and it would be a PC with integrated graphics and/or some crap APU.

4 hours ago, Windseeker said:

Does anyone else want to kick a vendor in the balls when they pass off some Pentium or Athlon II computer equipped with some variant of those shoddy Radeon HD 7000s video cards as a gaming rig for 600+ dollars?

Sometimes it will be even more expensive and it would be a PC with integrated graphics and/or some crap APU.

Who the hell is selling an Athlon II PC for $600 in 2017? :ooh:

2 hours ago, Azure Envy said:

Who the hell is selling an Athlon II PC for $600 in 2017? :ooh:

Desperate peeps in eBay, apparently. Surprisingly, the Athlon II was manufactured for AM3 sockets and DDR3 compatibility. Even to this very day for the FM2 and AM4, just with the 'II' dropped. Even the Pentium is still manufactured for PCs today lol

It's just neither of them are worth a grain of salt for even DX9 AAA gaming and somehow they are common processors for overly expensive gaming PCs.

20 hours ago, Windseeker said:

Desperate peeps in eBay, apparently. Surprisingly, the Athlon II was manufactured for AM3 sockets and DDR3 compatibility. Even to this very day for the FM2 and AM4, just with the 'II' dropped. Even the Pentium is still manufactured for PCs today lol

It's just neither of them are worth a grain of salt for even DX9 AAA gaming and somehow they are common processors for overly expensive gaming PCs.

Better yet, once they're over 10 years old, you can start calling them "vintage" and then charge $399 for a VINTAGE gaming PC (i.e. dime a dozen Dell Dimensions that litter school closets)

20 minutes ago, Celli said:

Cuphead sold more copies on PC than Xbore one. And console peasants say PC gaming is irrelevant.

This right here is why I view PC gaming as a cesspool of toxicity and elitism. So with that, I'll take my leave from this thread. Never cared to post here before, but I saw this comment and wanted to say something about it. Of course, no offense to anyone that enjoys PC gaming and doesn't say this kind of stuff.

21 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

This right here is why I view PC gaming as a cesspool of toxicity and elitism. So with that, I'll take my leave from this thread. Never cared to post here before, but I saw this comment and wanted to say something about it. Of course, no offense to anyone that enjoys PC gaming and doesn't say this kind of stuff.

Lol okay dude, the"Xbore" term was unnecessary, and I'm sorry.  But "console peasant" is used to describe console gamers who defend shitty practices used by Activision and EA. If you're a console gamer and don't defend that, even call out that kind of shit, and just want to game on consoles because that's your preference then you are not a console peasant. Which i guess means you in particular are not a console peasant.

Edited by Celli

4 minutes ago, Celli said:

Lol okay dude, the"Xbore" term was unnecessary, and I'm sorry.  But "console peasant" is used to describe console gamers who defend shitty practices used by Activision and EA. If you're a console gamer and don't defend that, even call out that kind of shit, and just want to game on consoles because that's your preference then you are not a console peasant. Which i guess means you in particular are not a console peasant.

Trust me, I hate Activision with a passion, EA isn't too far behind. So I guess we can agree on that at least.

I meant no offense with my post. I guess I read that with harsh eyes.

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Trust me, I hate Activision with a passion, EA isn't too far behind. So I guess we can agree on that at least.

I meant no offense with my post. I guess I read that with harsh eyes.

Also, that applies to console gamers who go out of their way to spread lies and misinformation about PC gaming, usually to make their platform seem superior, and they generally don't research anything. But again, I've only ever seen you do anything but say you prefer your platform. And PC gamers like me will try to call out PC elitists who actively insult console gamers just because they play on a different platform.

But the Truth is that most of us are more than willing to help if you are ever interested in giving it a try. If you're confused we can answer any questions you have. Trouble with a build, ask us, and there are countless videos about how to put a PC together.

• Brohoof 1

I think Cuphead actually sold because we (the gamers) wanted to prove once again that videogame "journalists" on all the big sites are just sacks of shit these days.

Or, maybe because it's good. Could be either one.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Celli said:

@Shoboni Good choice. I have a 1070 personally, but 1060 is also good. I'm planning on getting a 1440p monitor next year myself.

I thought about a 1070, but then I decided I couldn't really justify the $125+ price premium for 40% more performance when I'm targeting 1080p and the 1060 is already such a beast at that resolution. 

I'm happy so far though, I'm getting 50FPS minimums in the problematic areas in Fallout 4 with only the concessions below ultra of tweaking the dynamic shadow distance in the .ini file and turning Godrays to low. Which is impressive with how much of a trainwreck the optimization in that game is.

Rise of the Tomb Raider runs beautiful with frame dips only in a couple weird spots at the Very High preset with the one setting that defaults to normal with it turned to high.

Doom and it's awesome optimization are a locked 60FPS at only 70% GPU usage with Ultra and the Nightmare options on the two settings that go that far enabled, of course.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Shoboni said:

I thought about a 1070, but then I decided I couldn't really justify the $125+ price premium for 40% more performance when I'm targeting 1080p and the 1060 is already such a beast at that resolution. 

I'm happy so far though, I'm getting 50FPS minimums in the problematic areas in Fallout 4 with only the concessions below ultra of tweaking the dynamic shadow distance in the .ini file and turning Godrays to low. Which is impressive with how much of a trainwreck the optimization in that game is.

Rise of the Tomb Raider runs beautiful with frame dips only in a couple weird spots at the Very High preset with the one setting that defaults to normal with it turned to high.

Doom and it's awesome optimization are a locked 60FPS at only 70% GPU usage with Ultra and the Nightmare options on the two settings that go that far enabled, of course.

I get close to 200 frames in Doom and no lower than really about 120-140 with unlocked framerate and vulkan enabled.

Edited by Celli

7 hours ago, Shoboni said:

I ascended from Maxwell to Pascal and damn is it a huge upgrade.

Nice to see that GPU pricing is leveling off and actually in stock. Last time I checked, miners were still having a field day on everything between a 1050 and a Titan/Ti.

Think I'll hold off until the 2080 or whatever they decide to call it. This space heater 980Ti should keep me warm through the winter months.

16 minutes ago, Celli said:

I get close to 200 frames in Doom and no lower than really about 120-140 with unlocked framerate and vulkan enabled.

Not sure my max because I have no reason to turn Vsync off.

I'd imagine maybe 100-140 since I have so much GPU overhead with the 60FPS lock.

Just now, Azure Envy said:

Nice to see that GPU pricing is leveling off and actually in stock. Last time I checked, miners were still having a field day on everything between a 1050 and a Titan/Ti.

Think I'll hold off until the 2080 or whatever they decide to call it. This space heater 980Ti should keep me warm through the winter months.

Yeah, I nabbed a 6GB model for $300 with rush shipping off Newegg and that was because I paid a bit of a premium for a decent double-fan cooler. There was single-fan cards for far cheaper and a Zotac on flash sale right now so you can get them for not much about the $260 MSRP.

2017-11-13 (4).png

7 minutes ago, Azure Envy said:

I think the next line will be the 1100 series.

12 minutes ago, Celli said:

I think the next line will be the 1100 series.

According to the Nvidia sub-reddit the next generation of cards might be another 700-to-900 series situation with tweaks over performance increases since they're targeting improving non-gaming features like stuff for media encoding and other productively uses.