Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Just now, Shoboni said:

According to the Nvidia sub-reddit the next generation of cards might be another 700-to-900 series situation with tweaks over performance increases since they're targeting improving non-gaming features like stuff for media encoding and other productively uses.

So 1200 then?

4 minutes ago, Celli said:

So 1200 then?

I know they avoided 800 because of the old 8000 series cards but it would actually be sound sound if they continued and used a skipped number to indicate like an incremental upgrade and a single count up for designate an actual new generation of cards.

Like they did with 700-to-900 being a small boost and then the jump to the 1000 series being a new generation with a massive performance leap.  

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Shoboni said:

I know they avoided 800 because of the old 8000 series cards but it would actually be sound sound if they continued and used a skipped number to indicate like an incremental upgrade and a single count up for designate an actual new generation of cards.

Like they did with 700-to-900 being a small boost and then the jump to the 1000 series being a new generation with a massive performance leap.  

Unless AMD responds with something more interesting than Vega, not much they need to do...

Oh, and of course stealing what thunder they had left by dropping the 1070 Ti in response to the 56. :pout:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Azure Envy said:

Unless AMD responds with something more interesting than Vega, not much they need to do...

Oh, and of course stealing what thunder they had left by dropping the 1070 Ti in response to the 56. :pout:

I think the fact they can't seem to keep up the supply chain running and the shifty shit they did with the MSRP fixing hurt AMD bad with Vega.

Not to mention the fact they still only have blower-style reference cards on the market and only went high-end with the cheapest card having a $400 MSRP.

On 11/14/2017 at 0:12 AM, Shoboni said:

There was an 800M series, based on the Kepler architecture, and was only used for laptops.

It used to be that Nvidia would introduce a new architecture, and then refine it for a new series, going all the way back to Tesla 8 series. Maxwell was the only desktop GPUs that was only used for a single generation. Pascal looks to be the same way.

The jump to Pascal from Maxwell wasn't too far off the jump from Kepler 700 series to Maxwell. A 970 is roughly equal to a 780Ti, like how a 1070 is roughly equal to a 980Ti.

Edited by Vulon Bii

23 hours ago, Vulon Bii said:

There was an 800M series, based on the Kepler architecture, and was only used for laptops.

It used to be that Nvidia would introduce a new architecture, and then refine it for a new series, going all the way back to Tesla 8 series. Maxwell was the only desktop GPUs that was only used for a single generation. Pascal looks to be the same way.

The jump to Pascal from Maxwell wasn't too far off the jump from Kepler 700 series to Maxwell. A 970 is roughly equal to a 780Ti, like how a 1070 is roughly equal to a 980Ti.

Not all of the 700 line were Keplar, The GTX-750/750ti and GTX-745 (which seems to be an OEM only card) were both Maxwell.

1 minute ago, Vulon Bii said:

If people are still rocking Sandy Bridge CPUs, Devil's Canyon is still relevant. It stems from a lack of competition that Intel only had a ~5% increase from each successive generation.

That's what I have, a devil's canyon CPU. 4 cores, 8 threads.

Well, the reason I ask is that Ampere is rumored to succeed Pascal in the gaming market.

It does make sense if you consider that Volta's architecture seems heavily skewed towards machine intelligence & AI compute.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/13/2018 at 9:38 AM, Celli said:

That's a coincidence because I needed to make an emergency keyboard run after an incident and took it as a sign to pull the trigger on a more budget end Mechanical 

tumblr_p91lkm6dNj1u78h1go1_540.jpg 

UapuR2d.jpg

HIQyHIi.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I strongly disapprove regarding the nature of PC gaming are PC elitists that enjoy going all gung-ho on others just by bragging about because they claim to have better budget and money compared to other PC users who have a lousy income or are struggling to get a better pay, just for one PC part to upgrade. No offense, but the sight of those types of PC players sicken me to no end.

17 minutes ago, Jon the VGNerd said:

The one thing I strongly disapprove regarding the nature of PC gaming are PC elitists that enjoy going all gung-ho on others just by bragging about because they claim to have better budget and money compared to other PC users who have a lousy income or are struggling to get a better pay, just for one PC part to upgrade. No offense, but the sight of those types of PC players sicken me to no end.

They make up a small part of the PC community and we try to actively shun them.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your hardware. I see no reason to "actively shun" PC elitists from PC gaming communities. Why try to shame someone for being proud of something they (most likely) earned themselves? I certainly don't condone those PC elitists shaming those less fortunate either, but "tit-for-tat" is hardly a sensible solution here as far as I am concerned >.>

That being said, I don't even have a freaking graphics card xD Building a PC is something beyond my comprehension (main reason I stick to laptops for all my computational needs (\(^.^ )

Speaking of laptops...

^This thing looks heavenly~ <3 

• 15.6'' 4k display w/ >85% AdobeRGB gamut.... and it's GLOSSY (\(^o^)/) (yay!)
  • GTX 1070 Max-Q  (roughly 12k Fire Strike overall score - more than enough for locked 4k/60fps on the games I'm into)
  • i7-8750H hexa-core  (min improvements for gaming but hefty gains in multitasking)
  • Centered Keyboard (thank God I simply cannot stand off-center keyboards that saturate 95% of the gaming laptop market >.<)
  • Large centered Trackpad with integrated buttons (^ditto)
  • Fairly light weight (4.5 - 4.8 lbs)
  • 80 Wh battery (decent but could be better)

It's only about $3,000 at max specs too. Just not sure if I should jump on this one for instant gratification, or wait til the inevitable 1100 card refresh...

4 minutes ago, Kai-rouken said:

Why try to shame someone for being proud of something they (most likely) earned themselves?

Because they go about it the wrong way.

5 minutes ago, Kai-rouken said:

Building a PC is something beyond my comprehension

It's really not that hard :P

Because they go about it the wrong way.

No argument there, but I feel like most people who do try to "shun" these type of elitists usually resort to personal attacks to bring their "inflated egos" down. In my experience, alot of these elitists actually have quite low self-esteem and they use their superior PC hardware as a way to give themselves something to be proud of. So while the elitists are most definitely going about boasting in "the wrong way", the detractors are also going about confronting these individuals in the "wrong way" too. o,o 

At least that's how I see it lol

8 minutes ago, Celli said:

It's really not that hard :P

When I found out that you need to ground yourself with some weird ass bracelet thingy in order to prevent static electricity from frying your hardware, I was like "nope" -.-

And then there's stuff like handling the CPU, making sure to not touch the contacts, etc. It just makes me nervous af >.< I like to de-stress when engaging in recreational activities, so PC building is like my kryptonite lol. I'm also very fond of the versatility of a gaming laptop. The idea that you can just throw it into a backpack and play for hours at a library or coffee shop or classmate's dorm, etc. And hell, sometimes it's simply the ease of taking it off your desk and plopping down on your bed so you can play under the covers. Just so convenient and portable <3

1 minute ago, Kai-rouken said:

And then there's stuff like handling the CPU, making sure to not touch the contacts, etc. It just makes me nervous af >.< I like to de-stress when engaging in recreational activities, so PC building is like my kryptonite lol. I'm also very fond of the versatility of a gaming laptop. The idea that you can just throw it into a backpack and play for hours at a library or coffee shop or classmate's dorm, etc. And hell, sometimes it's simply the ease of taking it off your desk and plopping down on your bed so you can play under the covers. Just so convenient and portable <3

You don't need a strap, when you're building it you can touch the inside of the case to let off static, and then put parts in. Also, everything is labelled and it's impossible to put things in the wrong spot. Just have patience and it's really not hard.

Also, gaming laptops may be versatile it comes at the cost of longevity. In 4 or 5 years you'll need to spend a grand on another one to be able to play the newest games. With a desktop you just upgrade what you need.

Also, gaming laptops may be versatile it comes at the cost of longevity. In 4 or 5 years you'll need to spend a grand on another one to be able to play the newest games. With a desktop you just upgrade what you need.

Maybe in 8-10 years, but I'm sure 4-5 years all that would be necessary is turning settings from "Ultra" to maybe around "High". At least with a 1070 Max-Q (read: factory under-clocked 1070). Hell, even a 1060 would be enough for most games at "High" 5 years down the road. I mean, maybe not Star Citizen or anything super crazy like that, but you know, the stereotypical Triple A titles.

That being said, I actually am generally more interested in less graphically demanding games; most of which are Korean MMOs (unfortunately, many of those games are also badly optimized >.<) Only game that would pose a problem for me on a 1070mq would be Black Desert Online which is a total freaking pig at max settings.

13 hours ago, Celli said:

You don't need a strap, when you're building it you can touch the inside of the case to let off static, and then put parts in. Also, everything is labelled and it's impossible to put things in the wrong spot. Just have patience and it's really not hard.

4 to 5 years is a pretty good run imo. 20 years ago, you'd be upgrading your desktop every other year just to keep up. In 4-5 years I'd have gone through two graphics cards anyway so as far as a laptop that lasts that long is concerned, a grand every 5 ain't so bad for something you can carry around.