Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Celli said:

I just wanna say for anyone with pascal, don't bother with the 20 series, it is not worth the upgrade.

Without apples-to-apples benchmarks, we don't know for sure... but you're probably right.

Missed out on that $300 GTX 1080 today... sold out before I could even get to the link. :(

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Azure Envy said:

Without apples-to-apples benchmarks, we don't know for sure... but you're probably right.

Pre-release benchmarks are apparently only 10% increase over the 10 series, And really the only thing noteworthy about Turing is Ray tracing, which won't be supported by more than 50 games, and even then you'd need two RTX 2080 Tis to hope for 1080p 60fps.

3 minutes ago, Azure Envy said:

Missed out on that $300 GTX 1080 today... sold out before I could even get to the link

Damn, that sucks :c

2 minutes ago, Celli said:

Pre-release benchmarks are apparently only 10% increase over the 10 series, And really the only thing noteworthy about Turing is Ray tracing, which won't be supported by more than 50 games, and even then you'd need two RTX 2080 Tis to hope for 1080p 60fps.

Damn, that sucks :c

I'm not surprised in the least. If RT really is the future -- it does looks awesome in action, so I hope it turns out to be more than just a curiosity. Given NVIDIA's push, it might be?

That said, it's still a bit early for that. For $1200, dropping below 60fps at only 1080p is pretty weak. That's the early adopter tax along with the "our only competition is Pascal" tax.

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, Azure Envy said:

That said, it's still a bit early for that. For $1200, dropping below 60fps at only 1080p is pretty weak. That's the early adopter tax along with the "our only competition is Pascal" tax

Too bad Vega wasn't very successful...

But, there's hope for good competition with Intel's upcoming dGPU.

• Brohoof 1

How did I never hear of this thread before?! :blink:

Anyway, I've been wanting to build myself a new PC for gaming, graphics design, video editing and animation as my main computer. 

So, have you got any tips, parts recommendations or advice? 

• Brohoof 1

I think Nvidia's whole business with ray tracing is them trying to push Hairworks 2.0. What Nvidia would also like no one to realize is that ray tracing isn't new.

Here is a video from Computex all the way from 2008 showing ray tracing:

Meanwhile, I'll still be waiting for real world benchmarks of the new cards. It'll be stupid for Nvidia to develop a new architecture and not have it be better than it's predecessor.

I'm also don't think Intel's GPU will be aimed at gaming. I think it'll be like a Titan or a Quadro.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, LegsKolles said:

I think Nvidia's whole business with ray tracing is them trying to push Hairworks 2.0. What Nvidia would also like no one to realize is that ray tracing isn't new.

Here is a video from Computex all the way from 2008 showing ray tracing:

Meanwhile, I'll still be waiting for real world benchmarks of the new cards. It'll be stupid for Nvidia to develop a new architecture and not have it be better than it's predecessor.

I'm also don't think Intel's GPU will be aimed at gaming. I think it'll be like a Titan or a Quadro.

Granted the most expensive of the line is $1200 which is a bit insane but I guess not to insane since there are people willing to pay that money with previous generations due to the bitcoin mining fad. I see this as a way to get people who don't know much about computer hardware to buy into it more.

Also, this

13 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Granted the most expensive of the line is $1200 which is a bit insane but I guess not to insane since there are people willing to pay that money with previous generations due to the bitcoin mining fad. I see this as a way to get people who don't know much about computer hardware to buy into it more.

It's also possible Nvidia forgot that the GPU mining fad has pretty much died. You can actually buy cards for what they were before it all started. Hell, even the few Vega cards out there are at a reasonable price.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, LegsKolles said:

We'll see, we know nothing about it, Intel could be doing a whole line of cards.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3299456/components-graphics/custom-geforce-rtx-2080-and-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-card-preorders.html

I think unless the Founder's edition cooler ends up being meh, I'd probably go with the smaller EVGA card, even if it does look questionable.

Also, the number of 2+ slot and 3 fans cards is getting ridiculous. EVGA even has a full 3 slot card.

Edited by LegsKolles

1 minute ago, LegsKolles said:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3299456/components-graphics/custom-geforce-rtx-2080-and-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-card-preorders.html

I think unless the Founder's edition cooler ends up being meh, I'd probably go with the smaller EVGA card, even if it does look questionable.

Also, the number of 2+ slot and 3 fans cards is getting ridiculous. EVGA even has a full 3 slot card.

What do you have now?

3 minutes ago, Celli said:

What do you have now?

I've still got my 1080. A purchase of a 20 series GPU, likely a 2080, still depends on actual real world benchmarks, but I couldn't help but notice the coolers for these things are getting bigger and bigger. I also say I would consider a smaller card since I want to do an ITX build at some point, and one of these bigass cards will not fit. Hell, they probably won't fit in my Meshify Mini C.

Just now, LegsKolles said:

I've still got my 1080. A purchase of a 20 series GPU, likely a 2080, still depends on actual real world benchmarks, but I couldn't help but notice the coolers for these things are getting bigger and bigger. I also say I would consider a smaller card since I want to do an ITX build at some point, and one of these bigass cards will not fit. Hell, they probably won't fit in my Meshify Mini C.

Mate, if you've got a 1080 don't get one of the new cards. Ray tracing is not worth shelling out $800 for a 2080. I've not heard good things about benchmarks over the 10 series.

1 minute ago, Celli said:

Mate, if you've got a 1080 don't get one of the new cards. Ray tracing is not worth shelling out $800 for a 2080. I've not heard good things about benchmarks over the 10 series.

I said I'm waiting for real world benchmarks. All this ray tracing and deep learning super sampling stuff isn't really doing anything for me.

2 minutes ago, LegsKolles said:

I said I'm waiting for real world benchmarks. All this ray tracing and deep learning super sampling stuff isn't really doing anything for me.

Even if the 2070 is 30% better than my 1070 I don't see a reason to upgrade to it tbh.

1 minute ago, Celli said:

Even if the 2070 is 30% better than my 1070 I don't see a reason to upgrade to it tbh.

I also plan to get a higher refresh monitor at some point. While the 1080 is capable of getting to the 120Hz I'm aiming for, it still depends on what is going on in-game, so I will need more GPU performance to do that. At the very least, I could get a 1080Ti.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, LegsKolles said:

I also plan to get a higher refresh monitor at some point. While the 1080 is capable of getting to the 120Hz I'm aiming for, it still depends on what is going on in-game, so I will need more GPU performance to do that. At the very least, I could get a 1080Ti.

That would be perfect if I could find a deal on a 1080Ti. Hitting those high refresh rates is tough even with what I got.

Shame I can't pick up an tensor/RT board and drop it in alongside. $800/1200 is steep af but for half that I might go in on RT since I already have a GPU.

Then again, I always wanted one of those PhysX boards way back when. Fun times.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:08 PM, Celli said:

I just wanna say for anyone with pascal, don't bother with the 20 series, it is not worth the upgrade.

This is almost always true. We're getting to the point where each generation is only a slight improvement over the last. It doesn't make sense to be upgrading a GPU every year.

It's best to buy a high end card, and then keep it for several generations. If you're running a 980ti, you still have roughly 70% of the performance of a 1080ti, and the 980ti is more than three years old. With the 2000 series being what it is, a 980ti is going to be close enough in performance for a few more years still.

• Brohoof 1

I’ll never bow to the PC Master Race. The can keep their tech. I’d rather be slumped over in my recliner in the living room or laying my bed rather than at a desk in front of a computer. XD

Actually I wouldn’t mind having a gaming computer as well, since that’s the only way you can access some games. But I don’t know how you people afford these machines.

13 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Actually I wouldn’t mind having a gaming computer as well, since that’s the only way you can access some games. But I don’t know how you people afford these machines.

It's not that expensive :P

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

I’ll never bow to the PC Master Race. The can keep their tech. I’d rather be slumped over in my recliner in the living room or laying my bed rather than at a desk in front of a computer. XD

What if I told you that you don't have to have a desk, and that If you can afford a console, the pointless online subscription, and $60 games, you can afford a PC.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, LegsKolles said:

What if I told you that you don't have to have a desk, and that If you can afford a console, the pointless online subscription, and $60 games, you can afford a PC.

Can’t afford any of those things my dood.

I never use online subscriptions and I can’t afford consoles (they’ve always been gifted to me by family members). And I usually have to wait till a game’s gone down about $20 before I can justify the purchase to myself. Or buy used or bargain bin games.

EDIT: However, I am still interested in this no desk PC setup. Tell me more. I want to see how I can be a couch potato on a PC.

Edited by ShadOBabe