Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Ocarina of Time of Majora's Mask?

Ardhacandra

29 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Ocarina of Time
    • Majora's Mask

Oh, yeah, 'course you can! I just meant trying to go through it without a shield, optionally. It's maddening I tell you.

I can't really remember if I had a shield or not. But,the final battle was intense,either way!

That music,and using your sword to attract lightning to shock him. That was awesome!

• Brohoof 1

Yep, I think if they just made the owl statues function better the game would be a lot more accessible, especially since the remake would most likely be for 3DS. Plus more people need to play in general. :)

Yes! You've totally read my mind! :D

• Brohoof 1

Majora's Mask, hands down. OoT ain't got shit on it at all. The darker theme, the added mechanics, and the overall look just make it that much better (the dark theme being my all time favorite part about it). OoT usually gets its points from those with nostalgia goggles on, which shouldn't be a fair thing to go off of alone. I honestly don't see why its praised like it is.~

• Brohoof 2

Majora's Mask, hands down. OoT ain't got shit on it at all. The darker theme, the added mechanics, and the overall look just make it that much better (the dark theme being my all time favorite part about it). OoT usually gets its points from those with nostalgia goggles on, which shouldn't be a fair thing to go off of alone. I honestly don't see why its praised like it is.~

Honestly? I've played the hell out of the pair of them for the past 13 years, and whilst nostalgia is an undeniably HUGE factor in my enjoyment of the pair of them I don't think it's entirely fair to say that OoT's continued positive reception among the gaming community is purely down to that alone.

Plus, would OoT have been anywhere near as big as it was back during it's first ever release in 1998 if all the clamour surrounding it where down to, at the time, non-existent nostalgia?

Honestly? I've played the hell out of the pair of them for the past 13 years, and whilst nostalgia is an undeniably HUGE factor in my enjoyment of the pair of them I don't think it's entirely fair to say that OoT's continued positive reception among the gaming community is purely down to that alone.

Plus, would OoT have been anywhere near as big as it was back during it's first ever release in 1998 if all the clamour surrounding it where down to, at the time, non-existent nostalgia?

Im going off of what i usually see, which, is usually something nostalgia filled.

How can anything be popular from something that doesn't even exist at the time? I can't see where you're even trying to go with that last bit.

Im going off of what i usually see, which, is usually something nostalgia filled.

How can anything be popular from something that doesn't even exist at the time? I can't see where you're even trying to go with that last bit.

I'm implying that the game's success couldn't have stemmed from nostalgia because it was the game's first release. That's the point I was trying to make, that its success came from elsewhere.

I'm implying that the game's success couldn't have stemmed from nostalgia because it was the game's first release. That's the point I was trying to make, that its success came from elsewhere.

Aah, well I wasn't on its initial success, but fair enough.

Neither. Twilight Princess all the way. :lol:

The overall gameplay and atmosphere in TP feels like what both of those games were going for in the first place and actually achieving it. The midnight run with Midna is one of my favorite moments in the series. Kinda spoilery so I was vague but if you've played the game you know what I'm talking about. <.< >.>

• Brohoof 1

Neither. Twilight Princess all the way. :lol:

The overall gameplay and atmosphere in TP feels like what both of those games were going for in the first place and actually achieving it. The midnight run with Midna is one of my favorite moments in the series. Kinda spoilery so I was vague but if you've played the game you know what I'm talking about. <.< >.>

Twilight Princess is ironically my 3rd fave under those two for those exact reasons you just mentioned XD

• Brohoof 1

Well I like Majora's Mask more. Yes, everyone likes it for it's darker content but I like it for it's much deeper meanings. I am going for fore warn you, there are spoilers in these coming up. Well the things is, it's official in Majora that Link is dead. The reason why? Let me get to that. There are four major corners in Majora's Mask, each representing Hyrule locations, but the bigger meaning is what they represent.

First let's hit the big glaring one where you start off. Now where you start off when you get into the meat of the game is Clock Town, the hub world and the location you end up when you rewind time with the Song of Time. Clock Town represents Denial. The residents of Clock Town, more specifically the Carnival of Time's Building Crew not believing the Moon will fall even though it's clearly going to.

Deku Palace is the representation of Anger. The Deku King is angry that his daughter and princess is kidnapped and will think that anyone stole her.

SnowHead is the representation of Bargaining. The great war hero Darmani past and in his spirit form tries to bargain with Link to revive him.

Great Bay is the representation of Depression as Lulu the singer of a band is depressed that her children are stolen.

Ikana Canyon is the representation of Acceptance. As we all know, Ikana is the land where the dead roam. They do not fear a thing. They all have accepted their fate.

These meanings are by far blatantly the most obvious. The Happy Mask Salesman is a mystery but there are suggestions that he maybe actually a deity or all knowing being that sees you returning his mask. He does seem to know more than he lets on. In anycase this is in some way on of the major reasons I love Majora's Mask.

• Brohoof 2

Well I like Majora's Mask more. Yes, everyone likes it for it's darker content but I like it for it's much deeper meanings. I am going for fore warn you, there are spoilers in these coming up. Well the things is, it's official in Majora that Link is dead. The reason why? Let me get to that. There are four major corners in Majora's Mask, each representing Hyrule locations, but the bigger meaning is what they represent.

First let's hit the big glaring one where you start off. Now where you start off when you get into the meat of the game is Clock Town, the hub world and the location you end up when you rewind time with the Song of Time. Clock Town represents Denial. The residents of Clock Town, more specifically the Carnival of Time's Building Crew not believing the Moon will fall even though it's clearly going to.

Deku Palace is the representation of Anger. The Deku King is angry that his daughter and princess is kidnapped and will think that anyone stole her.

SnowHead is the representation of Bargaining. The great war hero Darmani past and in his spirit form tries to bargain with Link to revive him.

Great Bay is the representation of Depression as Lulu the singer of a band is depressed that her children are stolen.

Ikana Canyon is the representation of Acceptance. As we all know, Ikana is the land where the dead roam. They do not fear a thing. They all have accepted their fate.

These meanings are by far blatantly the most obvious. The Happy Mask Salesman is a mystery but there are suggestions that he maybe actually a deity or all knowing being that sees you returning his mask. He does seem to know more than he lets on. In anycase this is in some way on of the major reasons I love Majora's Mask.

I quite like the thinking behind that theory. Heck, there're a ton of them that I like, here's another one concerning the true purpose of Termina's Stone Tower which I think whilst a little odd is actually quite brilliant: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2006/11/03/the-stone-tower-why-termina-was-doomed/

• Brohoof 1

Majora's Mask, by far. It was less afraid to push the boundaries of what was acceptable in an E-rated game (Ocarina of Time had blood but that was ultimately removed, Majora's Mask was like a grimdark fanfic in game form and the more mature content was never removed), the mechanics work much better than Ocarina of Time, and the story is, in my opinion, one of the deepest and most well-written stories in a video game to date. Hiding the Kübler-Ross Model of Grief in the game's story? Clever, Nintendo. Very clever. I also find the soundtrack to be much better, with many more memorable songs than Ocarina of Time that complement the feel of the game very well. For example, the boss theme. While Ocarina of Time's sounded more lighthearted (unless you're fighting King Dodongo or Volvagia), Majora's Mask's tells you that this is a serious situation and it's do or die. Oh, and the story isn't another "Save Hyrule!" story.

Ocarina of Time is a pretty good game, but I just find Majora's Mask to be better on a story, mechanical and musical level.

• Brohoof 1

I quite like the thinking behind that theory. Heck, there're a ton of them that I like, here's another one concerning the true purpose of Termina's Stone Tower which I think whilst a little odd is actually quite brilliant: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2006/11/03/the-stone-tower-why-termina-was-doomed/

Yeah. That's the thing. There is no clear cut answer to why Stone Tower Temple exists aside from it's purpose for creating and breaking the curse. There are stone carvings of a face liking the Triforce as a possible insult to the three goddesses. It's possible the Terminians spat on the beliefs of the Triforce and the four giants a the gods of the world of Terminia.

• Brohoof 2

Nostalgia? Not really. I played Ocarina of Time about 11 years after its release, and absolutely loved it. Immediately after playing it, I went and got Majora's Mask and holy good god did the time mechanics piss me off...

Edited by Blueman15

Nostalgia? Not really. I played Ocarina of Time about 11 years after its release, and absolutely loved it. Immediately after playing it, I went and got Majora's Mask and holy good god did the time mechanics piss me off...

You are not the only one pissed off by the time mechanics. Practically everyone who played Majora's Mask had some kind of quarrel with some part of the time mechanics. The Song of Time is your best friend for the time mechanics. The Inverted Song of Time making allot of quests much more doable because of the time being slowed to about 2/4ths the normal speed (I maybe wrong on the slow down speed), unlike with normal time flow. The only stupid Song of Time feature was the Song of Double Time. Part of it was how badly it was advertised. It's skips you a whole 6 hour time span which passes over quests that maybe mandatory for the game, especially if you plan to finish the Bomber's Notebook. Do Not Ever use the Song of Double Time if you plan to fill up the entire Bomber's Notebook.

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer

You are not the only one pissed off by the time mechanics. Practically everyone who played Majora's Mask had some kind of quarrel with some part of the time mechanics. The Song of Time is your best friend for the time mechanics. The Inverted Song of Time making allot of quests much more doable because of the time being slowed to about 2/4ths the normal speed (I maybe wrong on the slow down speed), unlike with normal time flow. The only stupid Song of Time feature was the Song of Double Time. Part of it was how badly it was advertised. It's skips you a whole 6 hour time span which passes over quests that maybe mandatory for the game, especially if you plan to finish the Bomber's Notebook. Do Not Ever use the Song of Double Time if you plan to fill up the entire Bomber's Notebook.

The Song of double time was great as it allowed me to skip waiting a certain amount of time time so I can go onto those quests I needed to faster. You won't be able to fulfill all of the sidequests in the bomber's notebook on one sitting as there are sidequests that required you to sacrifice another sidequest in order to achieve your goal

The Song of double time was great as it allowed me to skip waiting a certain amount of time time so I can go onto those quests I needed to faster. You won't be able to fulfill all of the sidequests in the bomber's notebook on one sitting as there are sidequests that required you to sacrifice another sidequest in order to achieve your goal

I didn't say you could do the Bomber's Notebook in one go but I know what you mean. The Song of Double Time can still fuck you over on certain time elements if you're not perfect on your timing in when you play that song of time feature. In General, the Song of Double Time is a tricky feature to use and normally isn't often recommended. You could pass up critical story elements at times and to be able to do them, you'd literally would need to reset time entirely. It's really more of a hassle than it's worth. I do understand there are some benefits to the Song of Double Time, but the cons, more often then not, outshine the pros to the feature.

I didn't say you could do the Bomber's Notebook in one go but I know what you mean. The Song of Double Time can still fuck you over on certain time elements if you're not perfect on your timing in when you play that song of time feature. In General, the Song of Double Time is a tricky feature to use and normally isn't often recommended. You could pass up critical story elements at times and to be able to do them, you'd literally would need to reset time entirely. It's really more of a hassle than it's worth. I do understand there are some benefits to the Song of Double Time, but the cons, more often then not, outshine the pros to the feature.

I understand what you're saying and it can definitely screw you over more time if you're not careful, you are correct in that regard.

I do prefer Ocarina of Time overall simply for the less stressful gameplay. I feel like Ocarina has a more grander scope and a better feel in terms of the equipment and the world itself. Majora's Mask, I actually really enjoyed its atmosphere and tone, but I did not enjoy the gameplay as much. The masks were neat but I preferred OOT's items more. Plus, OOT is just a pure nostalgia bomb for me. I did not play MM until much later after playing OOT many times over. Plus, I think OOT sets up the game and builds up everything more carefully. MM kinda thrusts you into everything.

So I have to go with Ocarina for my preference, but Majora's Mask is definitely really good in its own unique and dark way.

• Brohoof 2

I do prefer Ocarina of Time overall simply for the less stressful gameplay. I feel like Ocarina has a more grander scope and a better feel in terms of the equipment and the world itself. Majora's Mask, I actually really enjoyed its atmosphere and tone, but I did not enjoy the gameplay as much. The masks were neat but I preferred OOT's items more. Plus, OOT is just a pure nostalgia bomb for me. I did not play MM until much later after playing OOT many times over. Plus, I think OOT sets up the game and builds up everything more carefully. MM kinda thrusts you into everything.

So I have to go with Ocarina for my preference, but Majora's Mask is definitely really good in its own unique and dark way.

I'll agree that Majora's Mask has a bit of a faulty inventory system but it's because they were using the OOT investory system but ended up taking out the Equips section in favor of the Masks section which proved to cause a few problems, namely with the Great Fairy Sword.

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh zelda games..

Im fan of zelda and I prefer Majora's mask. Dark setting, creepy story, and so emotional. 

There is a allot of emotion due to how well conveyed and expressed it is by the characters. Allot of the emotion in it plays along the line of the Kübler-Ross Model of Grief, which was genusly and subtlety embedded into the game.

Edited by Sadist the Wanderer

I'll agree that Majora's Mask has a bit of a faulty inventory system but it's because they were using the OOT investory system but ended up taking out the Equips section in favor of the Masks section which proved to cause a few problems, namely with the Great Fairy Sword.

There is a allot of emotion due to how well conveyed and expressed it is by the characters. Allot of the emotion in it plays along the line of the Kübler-Ross Model of Grief, which was genusly and subtlety embedded into the game.

They must remake this into 3ds 

As much as I love and play Ocarina of Time many times, Majora's Mask is my all-time favorite for several reasons:

3-day cycle means you can self-imposed a challenge like You must restart to Day 1 after learning the Dungeon Song/you must not slow down time/ This cycle: focus only on the ranch people and their troubles/etc.. In Ocarina of time, you're still mostly railroad into going through the game in a spificic way, but with all the possible ways you can spend 3 days in Termina, the replay value can be arguably higher! :)

Most people complain the smaller number of dungeons and "over-reliance of sidequests" but at least (almost) every character was used and not overlooked like in OoT.  I actually know these NPCs as their Terminan selves rather than their Hyrulean selves. Examples: Who actually gave the Begger who wants a C item anything/They got a major role as the banker who keeps your money from vanishing in the time vortex. I know the chicken lady in OoT better as the forgetful innkeeper who's to be wed to the mayor's son. These side-quests ACTUALLY got me to bond with the NPC's so that by the time the ultimate threat is gone, I'll say to them you deserve this happy ending every one. :squee: 

The masks. While some of them have very little purpose, collecting all of them, making people happy and mending their troubles, makes the player actually feel like a hero. Plus, transforming into a Zora is sweet and no iron boots that force you to pause the game to use. B)

When Majora's Mask first came out, I was a kid. When I first played it, I was scared of it and only got as far as reaching the Southern Swamp because of the frightening titular Majora's Mask and the idea of the moon crashing into the Earth. But as I got older, I went back to the game facing that creepy demon mask and succeed! As a kid, I thought Nightmares was all this game had, but with the sidequests I've mentioned and that simple "Friends are a nice thing to have" message at the end, I saw that this game is just as heartwarming as it is scary! You can't judge a game by its cover ;)

• Brohoof 1