Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

takai's Guide to a Successful Season 5

takai

Season 5 is coming! And with that comes expectations. But let's take a second to think about it. We've had FOUR whole seasons already! That's crazy! But after four seasons, the successful formula that has worked for so long starts to become stale and mundane. Which is why I'm going to come up with a definitive.guide for a successful new season!

1. Season Opener/Closer not based around Twilight, only the Mane 5.

This is one of the bigger points I'd like to make. While I think Twilight is a great character with a lot of great qualities, it's time for her to take a backseat. Seeing Twilight save Equestria again and again while everyone sits in the corner until Twilight needs them for the elements is getting too old. It's time for something to happen that Twilight herself that she literally cannot handle. This is where the Mane 5 come in and take center stage. This would be a great way to start off a new season, with a fresh take on saving Equestria.

2. Episode based around one of the Princesses, specifically Luna.

While it's obvious the writers do their very best trying to keep episodes unique by making episodes character specific, like only having 3 of the Mane 6 present in an episode, or a Spike episode, or a CMC episode. But I think it's high time to get another character involved. I think one of the Princesses would be a great addition to the show in terms of specific episodes based around them. The two obvious main candidates would be Luna or Cadence. In my opinion, Luna's character is easily the most interesting Princess. Episodes revolving around her getting used to Equestrian culture, or gaining favor of ponies would be genuinely entertaining. That quality is a very interesting dynamic for characters that are sort of idolized in the show as perfection, or not really having any "bad" qualities. Plus, Luna has a huge following, so I believe this would be widely accepted by the fan base.

3. Give Twilight more of a personality.

Now I know as well as anyone that this is a controversial topic.But I believe Twilight lost a lot of her charm after becoming a Princess. She comes off as someone who's trying to be perfect, and therein lies the problem. Characters with no shortcomings become boring and uninteresting. Luckily last season she showed some of the old Twilight when she was

, which was good! But... That was about it. Where's psychotic Twilight? Where's spazzy Twilight? We know she's going to have a few episodes based around her, so let's make them as memorable as Lesson Zero.

4. Bring back Chrysalis.

Clearly this point has been brought up for years by a lot of people. But the time is right to bring back one of the most diabolical villains this show has seen. Seeing a comeback from her would be insanely cool. I won't go any further due to everyone probably seeing this point a thousand times before. But it's true,  and I think it's something that needs to finally happen.

5. Side characters/Expanding side characters

I would say Season 4 had some of the best side characters we've seen in a long time. Side characters make episodes both interesting and memorable. I think I speak for everyone when I say we want to see another Cheese Sandwich episode, and definitely more Maud Pie. I'd also like to see an expansion on side characters. And what I mean by that is, for example, more something along the lines of Maud. Seeing more of the Mane 6's family *cough* Rainbow Dash's family and Fluttershy's family *cough*. This is another point a lot of fans have expressed a lot of interest in in the past.  I did hear a rumor about an episode around Pinkie's OTHER sister, but we'll see what happens.

Well that's my two cents... For now. I may add more later if I can think of any solid points.

So what do you think? Am I right? Wrong? A giant pile of suck? Let me know what you think. To keep this different from from just predictions and hopes, try to only focus on the 5 points I made.

Note for Mods: If this doesn't merit its own thread, then by all means move it to its appropriate location

• Brohoof 3

Personally I'd rather have a Celestia episode than a Cadence or Luna episode. They could always be explored more, but if we had to choose one it's important to remember that both Luna and Cadence have had episodes either dedicated to them or where they played a very important part; so far, Celestia hasn't.

Also, I don't think Twilight needs to "take a back seat" in the opener considering the end of the 4th season, but I would like a closer where she's otherwise unavailable and the rest of the Mane 6 have to figure out what needs to be done to save the day. It all depends on the context the rest of the season establishes before that, though.

• Brohoof 3

Personally I'd rather have a Celestia episode than a Cadence or Luna episode. They could always be explored more, but if we had to choose one it's important to remember that both Luna and Cadence have had episodes either dedicated to them or where they played a very important part; so far, Celestia hasn't.

Also, I don't think Twilight needs to "take a back seat" in the opener considering the end of the 4th season, but I would like a closer where she's otherwise unavailable and the rest of the Mane 6 have to figure out what needs to be done to save the day. It all depends on the context the rest of the season establishes before that, though.

I'd actually love to see a Celestia episode myself, just to show that she isn't the perfect princess we all think she is. She has everyday problems just like everyone else. I could see that actually being really funny.

Season 5 is coming! And with that comes expectations. But let's take a second to think about it. We've had FOUR whole seasons already! That's crazy! But after four seasons, the successful formula that has worked for so long starts to become stale and mundane. Which is why I'm going to come up with a definitive.guide for a successful new season!

1. Season Opener/Closer not based around Twilight, only the Mane 5.

This is one of the bigger points I'd like to make. While I think Twilight is a great character with a lot of great qualities, it's time for her to take a backseat. Seeing Twilight save Equestria again and again while everyone sits in the corner until Twilight needs them for the elements is getting too old. It's time for something to happen that Twilight herself that she literally cannot handle. This is where the Mane 5 come in and take center stage. This would be a great way to start off a new season, with a fresh take on saving Equestria.

If Rainbow Rocks was any indication, it looks the staff is starting to catch on this as well, since they let Sunset Shimmer save the day instead of Twilight. I agree that this time it's the Mane 5's turn to save the day

2. Episode based around one of the Princesses, specifically Luna.

While it's obvious the writers do their very best trying to keep episodes unique by making episodes character specific, like only having 3 of the Mane 6 present in an episode, or a Spike episode, or a CMC episode. But I think it's high time to get another character involved. I think one of the Princesses would be a great addition to the show in terms of specific episodes based around them. The two obvious main candidates would be Luna or Cadence. In my opinion, Luna's character is easily the most interesting Princess. Episodes revolving around her getting used to Equestrian culture, or gaining favor of ponies would be genuinely entertaining. That quality is a very interesting dynamic for characters that are sort of idolized in the show as perfection, or not really having any "bad" qualities. Plus, Luna has a huge following, so I believe this would be widely accepted by the fan base.

I heavily disagree. If anything Luna has enough episodes for now. If any of the princess truly need some episodes, it's Celestia

3. Give Twilight more of a personality.

Now I know as well as anyone that this is a controversial topic.But I believe Twilight lost a lot of her charm after becoming a Princess. She comes off as someone who's trying to be perfect, and therein lies the problem. Characters with no shortcomings become boring and uninteresting. Luckily last season she showed some of the old Twilight when she was 

, which was good! But... That was about it. Where's psychotic Twilight? Where's spazzy Twilight? We know she's going to have a few episodes based around her, so let's make them as memorable as Lesson Zero.

There was also Testing, which showed Twilight in the light we all know and love. I'd love to see more of that

4. Bring back Chrysalis.

Clearly this point has been brought up for years by a lot of people. But the time is right to bring back one of the most diabolical villains this show has seen. Seeing a comeback from her would be insanely cool. I won't go any further due to everyone probably seeing this point a thousand times before. But it's true,  and I think it's something that needs to finally happen.

Honestly, there's really no reason to bring her back, especially with the comics. That said, I do think it would be a good idea to bring back some antagonists/characters from the past*coughgildaandlightningdustcough*

5. Side characters/Expanding side characters

I would say Season 4 had some of the best side characters we've seen in a long time. Side characters make episodes both interesting and memorable. I think I speak for everyone when I say we want to see another Cheese Sandwich episode, and definitely more Maud Pie. I'd also like to see an expansion on side characters. And what I mean by that is, for example, more something along the lines of Maud. Seeing more of the Mane 6's family *cough* Rainbow Dash's family and Fluttershy's family *cough*. This is another point a lot of fans have expressed a lot of interest in in the past.  I did hear a rumor about an episode around Pinkie's OTHER sister, but we'll see what happens.

I guess my point above could apply to this as well. Also I'd like to point out that there might be a chance we'll Rainbow Blaze(the Stallion with RD in Games Ponies Play) this season, if the TCG have any merit

• Brohoof 2

If any of the princess truly need some episodes, it's Celestia

So, in a way you do agree with me? I'd like to have a princess episode, regardless. I would just prefer it to be Luna. Like I said in my post above, I think a Celestia episode would be a fun one at the very least.

Hm, good points, I like them. Instead of a Luna episode, I really want either a Celestia Episode or a Cadence Episode, probably just Celestia. Maybe bringing back Chrysalis is a good idea, but they'll need to add a good reason to add her back. And giving Twilight more Personality would be a good idea to :)

• Brohoof 1

1. Better story arc. Season four had a great finally,, but it was obvious. I want a story arc with a plot twist.

2. Cmc get there cutie marks. It's about time they should. Episodes like somepony to watch over me, flight to the finish, and for whom the sweetie bell toils, mean nothing for their character development if they still have no cutie mark.

3. Better episodes. I love all of the ones we got so far, but the mlp staff say that they want to do better, and I was to see that happen.

4. Background characters. I want to see more derpy, and the others (mostly derpy) in center stage. We already know the mane six, and getting to know somepony who may not make a huge impact on the show may be interesting.

5. Songs. Rainbow Rocks gave us great singing of great songs. I want to see more of this, and I hope for a rainbow dash solo.

6. Seeing bond's between the mane six and other ponys would be cool.

7. SOMETHING OTHER THAN BLASTING THE BAD GUY WITH THE RAINBOW/ELEMENTS THIG!!!! WHEN THEY GAVE THEM TO THE TREE, I HOPED THIS WOULD HAPPEN! ITS OLD, MOVE ON HASBRO!! Really an episode where they face something, lose, get in a horrible situation, and then got saved by somepony we don't see to offend would be the best!!!!!(preferably the cmc or DERPY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!):D

• Brohoof 1

One more to add

- RariDash episode. Please

5. Songs. Rainbow Rocks gave us great singing of great songs. I want to see more of this, and I hope for a rainbow dash solo.

Already confirmed thankfully ;)

• Brohoof 2

as long as they don't live with twilight (or we still get to see their jobs) i'll be happy. oh and big mac. I wanna see him too

Edited by ggg-2

There is a way to give Twilight some new air, have her find a way to stop the villain without resorting to the standard friendship magical blast.

So one way would be to do an episode where Celestia punishes an innocent by mistake or she mistaken this character's actions as evil when they were actually noble. This character's motive is revenge on Celestia for the imprisonment and has nothing left in life. Also the elements of harmony refuse to be used on this character. 

Echhhh. No Luna episode. Celestia, Cadance and Shining Armor, or even Discord...but no Luna. We see enough of her.

I think Luna's character dynamic is brilliant, so I think her episodes would be top quality. And I really don't think we've seen enough of her honestly. I would say Discord and Cadence have had enough air time. Especially Discord. He's become an annoyance more than anything. 

I think Luna's character dynamic is brilliant, so I think her episodes would be top quality. And I really don't think we've seen enough of her honestly. I would say Discord and Cadence have had enough air time. Especially Discord. He's become an annoyance more than anything. 

Luna is a character who will grow stale if you overuse her. Works best in sporadic appearances.

Kinda like Boba Fett from Star Wars - commands respect just by presence alone. Part of the attraction is the mystique and dark aura. That doesn't apply for the other 3 characters I mentioned, which is why I think giving Luna another episode to herself would be detrimental to her character. She got "Luna Eclipsed" which gave her excellent development. She would work best in sporadic appearances from her eon out because she still maintains that dark aura of mystique that would be tainted by too much limelight.

Furthermore, if they screw up - which the writing staff from the show has had their fair share of failures - then the entire fandom would implode. Giving a character like Luna - who's popularity was built off of secondary appearances - a lot of spotlight would also increase the chances of messing up her character. Can you imagine the hell the staff would be paying if they got her character wrong? How do you think the fandom would react to a mischaracterization of her?

Wouldn't be good for business, that's for sure. If the fans aren't happy, well...that's usually a very, very bad thing, and they're already driving it home with one headlight after the Twilicorn fiasco. Even still, if it's bad for business, it's bad for the whole show...I don't think we will ever need Luna in a starring role in the show again. Good in secondary roles or as a sage of advice, not in the limelight.

• Brohoof 2

Of all the points you make, I'd have to say Celestia needs an episode. She's barely had much screen time in the entirety of the series, which is kind of disappointing to me.

2. Cmc get there cutie marks. It's about time they should. Episodes like somepony to watch over me, flight to the finish, and for whom the sweetie bell toils, mean nothing for their character development if they still have no cutie mark.

Also, this.

4. Bring back Chrysalis.

Clearly this point has been brought up for years by a lot of people. But the time is right to bring back one of the most diabolical villains this show has seen. Seeing a comeback from her would be insanely cool. I won't go any further due to everyone probably seeing this point a thousand times before. But it's true,  and I think it's something that needs to finally happen.

Well in the first three issues of IDWs MLP: FiM Chrysalis did come back but I know what you mean, I would love to see it in the actual show because I think she should deserve more show time.

Maybe bringing back Chrysalis is a good idea, but they'll need to add a good reason to add her back.

well it would not be too hard considering her whole motive for taking over canterlot was for power and when someone like twilight steps in front of some like Chrysalsises "Iife goal" as explained in the second episodes song, would up rise some serious vengeance thirst! Like I said though IDW did bring her back, which was AMAZING, but I would love to see some actual on screen appearance.

Regarding the points made:

1.) Yes, the others should be more involved in the outcoime of these plots than they are, but we shouldn't downplay Twilight to do so.

2.) Luna has had plenty of development. We need way more explorations of Celestia's character. Maybe an episode that develops Cadence, but Celestia is the top priority.

3.) Twilight already has oodles of personality. They just need to show it off more.

4.) Buck yes.

5.) Yes.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Luna is a character who will grow stale if you overuse her. Works best in sporadic appearances.

Fantastic, she's only had one episode based around her, so no problem there.

Kinda like Boba Fett from Star Wars - commands respect just by presence alone. Part of the attraction is the mystique and dark aura. That doesn't apply for the other 3 characters I mentioned, which is why I think giving Luna another episode to herself would be detrimental to her character. She got "Luna Eclipsed" which gave her excellent development. She would work best in sporadic appearances from her eon out because she still maintains that dark aura of mystique that would be tainted by too much limelight.

Part of her attraction is her genuine charm and interesting character dynamic. Plus her whole issue of "fitting in" is an extremely relatable topic to men and women everywhere, at any age. Hence her popularity. Are we missing the fact she's had only one episode about herself over 2 years ago? Or is that considered being "overused"? Because if so, that's beyond ridiculous.

Furthermore, if they screw up - which the writing staff from the show has had their fair share of failures - then the entire fandom would implode. Giving a character like Luna - who's popularity was built off of secondary appearances - a lot of spotlight would also increase the chances of messing up her character. Can you imagine the hell the staff would be paying if they got her character wrong? How do you think the fandom would react to a mischaracterization of her? Wouldn't be good for business, that's for sure. If the fans aren't happy, well...that's usually a very, very bad thing, and they're already driving it home with one headlight after the Twilicorn fiasco. Even still, if it's bad for business, it's bad for the whole show...I don't think we will ever need Luna in a starring role in the show again. Good in secondary roles or as a sage of advice, not in the limelight.

That's... Sort of a terrible excuse. I mean, you said it yourself. She received excellent character development in Luna Eclipsed. So who's to say that don't continue this excellency in another episode? In fact, this would be excellent for business. Fans seeing a character they genuinely love and care about? That's gold for Hasbro. Especially one with both a dedicated, passionate following and an entire fandom who's wanted to see more of her "fitting in" issue which many can relate to, which goes back to my main point of her excellent and interesting dynamic, that not many characters in this show have. Luna wouldn't all of a sudden turn into a main character because she was able to get her own episode, that would be ridiculous. But would it be good for the show in general? Absolutely. Same if Celestia had her own episode. It would bring a unique and fresh take to the episodic formula we've seen with the rest of the cast.

Edited by takai

1. Yes! It would be awesome, also i'd like a non two parter season premiere, even though Lesson Zero wasn't exactly the premiere, The Return Of Harmony was originally planned to be the season 1 finale, and it makes more sense, Lesson Zero is a better season opener because it changed the structure of the series.

2. Yes and no, We've already had one episode about Luna, i think we need more an episode about Celestia, or an episode of them both coexisting.

Where's psychotic Twilight? Where's spazzy Twilight? We know she's going to have a few episodes based around her, so let's make them as memorable as Lesson Zero.

Well, Twilight can't come back to how she was in season 2 (as memorable as she was back then), that would destroy all her character development, but there are still some interesting things to explore about her.

4. Yes please, i've said before that i would like a season with no villains at all (in the two parters), but i'd make an exception for Crysalis.

5. I agree, those characters deserve more development.

Edited by Fawkes The Phoenix

I agree with takai's ideas, tho it should be Celestia episode, not Luna

Some additional ideas

-We should have Sunset Shimmer visiting Equestria, and for bonus, make it chapter 11 (S4 we got Cadence visiting, so we should make ep 11 visitor episode)

-AJ parents, it's about time we know what happened to them

-This is quite impossible, but can we get a Diamond Tiara - Silver Spoon is redeemed episode?

-More impossibility! Big Mac gets married with Cherilee!

-Cadence - Shining Armor have a baby!

Also, can someone fill me in one on something? I was wondering, what do we know about episode 100?