Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Saltwater Crocodile VS Great White Shark [Read before choosing]

Darker

Crocodile VS Shark  

12 users have voted

1. 1. Favourite apex predator?

• Croc
    • Shark

Where are these statistics form? I have never heard of them. I checked it out on Google and only got some google searches. There were a few sources saying that the nile crocodile had 5000 psi, but they also said the T-Rex has a measly 8000 psi

Yup. The Saltwater croc is know for having a bite similar to the T-Rex. And obviously, the Nile croc has a weaker bite.

Yup. The Saltwater croc is know for having a bite similar to the T-Rex. And obviously, the Nile croc has a weaker bite.

There's no reason for me to think that's even remotely possible. The nile crocodile is smaller than the saltie, but not that much smaller. Also, the T-Rex's jaws are over 3 times as large as the crocodile's, for this argument to to work, you'd have to make the T-Rex's bite ludicrously weak for its size, which makes no sense since unlike the shark, the T-Rex's teeth aren't made to cut, they're made to crush

There's no reason for me to think that's even remotely possible. The nile crocodile is smaller than the saltie, but not that much smaller. Also, the T-Rex's jaws are over 3 times as large as the crocodile's, for this argument to to work, you'd have to make the T-Rex's bite ludicrously weak for its size, which makes no sense since unlike the shark, the T-Rex's teeth aren't made to cut, they're made to crush

Reports say it, not me. Also, both croc's and T-Rex's bites are made to crush.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/120315-crocodiles-bite-force-erickson-science-plos-one-strongest/

Reports say it, not me. Also, both croc's and T-Rex's bites are made to crush.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/120315-crocodiles-bite-force-erickson-science-plos-one-strongest/

This article is 2 years old, 2 years ago, Spinosaurs was still bipedal and not a giant duck monster. 

And the article says "lower end" of T-Rex bites. 

Regardless, I made a mistake in my analysis. The T-rex's mouth is larger, even if it was the same bite force, it has more area to do damage across. 

This doesn't really matter in the debate though, as the shark's bite is weak for its size due to its ability to cut things. If either can get a good bite, they win. However, while the shark has a better chance of this in deep water(much faster and able to get the croc's belly), with the scenarios you set up, a max size great white has 5 feet of space to dive, it can't hunt like that. The crocodile can then just brawl it into submission(losing a limb or two in the process, but they're survived worse)

This article is 2 years old, 2 years ago, Spinosaurs was still bipedal and not a giant duck monster. 

Ugh... I hate that theory. It's even worse than the "standing up fat Rex".

Ugh... I hate that theory. It's even worse than the "standing up fat Rex".

I actually like it, he looks so adorable and chubby

afp-73a7f600cf65e37c6374c55025dae2b705e5

Admittedly, this will put an end to the T-Rex vs Spino debate. With that posture, it can't do shit and its arms can't be brought to bear. Meanwhile, the sail is in perfect position to be torn off, a bad thing considering its full of blood vessels

i saw a video of that a long time ago the shark lost a fin but he screwed the crocodile

The show called Animal Face-Off. This show is cheesy and pretty well done, but the execution in the fights is horrible, and sometimes very predictible. In the very first episode, Lion VS Tiger, the Lion won. That's BS, we all know tigers kill lions very easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7nLZWyinI

The way the fight was done was terrible. A shark wouldn't turn around to attack, sharks aren't fighters. without a fin the shark wouldn't have been able to even move, especially when it was upwards. Sharks are absolutely weak in that position, even for a human. The way the croc bit the shark was more than enough to put him to sleep. A normal human punch can incapacitate a great white, imagine what a 4 ton bite can do.

As an Australian, I've gotta say I've heard a lot more news about crocodiles taking people, than any other animal. Hell, where I live, you're more likely to be critically stung by a jellyfish than encounter a shark.

@@Darker,

Easily the best Apex Predator since near nothing could kill a adult Megalodon.

It is likely it actual is the best apex predator in history in my opinion.  

Not exactly versatile though, considering its marine limits.

• Brohoof 1

Not exactly versatile though, considering its marine limits.

And the size. Good god. 60 tons at max, that's 20 times more than a normal big female great white.

• Brohoof 2

@,

It didn't need to be able to access land to be a great apex predator you know, it was after all only an apex predator of it's environment. If it could somehow be able to breath on land then... Well lets just say I doubt sharks will still be marine only today. :P 

@,

It didn't need to be able to access land to be a great apex predator you know, it was after all only an apex predator of it's environment. If it could somehow be able to breath on land then... Well lets just say I doubt sharks will still be marine only today. :P

Just imagine Land Sharks... Shark's jaws but in a legged creature similar to a dinosaur. Now THAT would be an apex predator!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Darker,

Mother of God... Now land Megalodon with Dinosaur legs would be the best apex predator ever. The size and jaw power would Rival that of creatures like Titanaboa. :lol:

The jaw power of a Titanoboa wasn't that much impressive... The constrictive force was the best thing about this predator. No wonder it ate crocodiles, that thing can easily crush them.

But yeah, a Megalodon Rex is something we don't want in our timeline.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/4040224/Shark+t+rex+awesome

Edited by Darker
  • Brohoof 1

In either 30 or 10 ft of water the croc is going to win simply because the Great White is an ambush predator who relies on deep water to attack. In 150 ft of water, the croc won't be able to sense the Great White as it torpedoes up to the surface from the bottom.

• Brohoof 2

Ah jeez... Another "Who Would Win?" thread  :unsure:

I am just going to put it this way:

Both animals have strengths in this case.

- The shark has sheer power, heightened senses, and does not need to surface.

- While the crocodile has agility, the ability to go in-and-out of water, and has exceptionally fast reflexes.

(Yes, I know both animals have powerful jaws).

But, both animals have weaknesses.

- Sharks have poor eyesight and can't make sharp turns.

- Crocodiles just don't size up against sharks (unless we're talking about a crocodile that has gotten to be pretty big) and cannot make leaps out of the water like sharks, whales, and dolphins can.

(Also, both animals have sensitive eyes and will probably retreat if hit there hard enough).

Even though crocodiles and alligators are one of my all time favorite animals, I can accept the fact that they have flaws and could lose. (Unlike some people who get elitist or extremley bias)  :confused:

Edited by Royal Samurott

In either 30 or 10 ft of water the croc is going to win simply because the Great White is an ambush predator who relies on deep water to attack. In 150 ft of water, the croc won't be able to sense the Great White as it torpedoes up to the surface from the bottom.

Point mentioned in previous comments.

Ah jeez... Another "Who Would Win?" thread  :unsure:

I am just going to put it this way:

Both animals have strengths in this case.

- The shark has sheer power, heightened senses, and does not need to surface.

- While the crocodile has agility, the ability to go in-and-out of water, and has exceptionally fast reflexes.

(Yes, I know both animals have powerful jaws).

But, both animals have weaknesses.

- Sharks have poor eyesight and can't make sharp turns.

- Crocodiles just don't size up against sharks (unless we're talking about a crocodile that has gotten to be pretty big) and cannot make leaps out of the water like sharks, whales, and dolphins can.

(Also, both animals have sensitive eyes and will probably retreat if hit there hard enough).

Even though crocodiles and alligators are one of my all time favorite animals, I can accept the fact that they have flaws and could lose. (Unlike some people who get elitist or extremley bias)  :confused:

Well, what animal doesn't have flaws? That's why I depicted them in several rounds and settings in the OP.

Point mentioned in previous comments.

Well, what animal doesn't have flaws? That's why I depicted them in several rounds and settings in the OP.

Right. Thats's why I wrote that last sentence. It's saying that I can, without a problem, accept that my favorite animals cannot always out-do. 

(Showing that I understand that all animals have cons).

Edited by Royal Samurott
  • Brohoof 1

As an Australian, I've gotta say I've heard a lot more news about crocodiles taking people, than any other animal. Hell, where I live, you're more likely to be critically stung by a jellyfish than encounter a shark.

To be fair Nile crocs are more dangerous than Salties, so the ones there in Australia are slightly less agressive. Bigger and more powerful, but less agressive overall. Then again, you're right, crocodiles in general has the second biggest animal kill count, only behind the mosquito.

• Brohoof 1

@@Darker,

Mother of God... Now land Megalodon with Dinosaur legs would be the best apex predator ever. The size and jaw power would Rival that of creatures like Titanaboa. :lol:

Land Megalodon hmm?

Can i buy one at Pet Smart?

• Brohoof 1

There was a pretty funny trading card series in which humans were the ultimate, super rare, awesome card in terms of danger. The effect was something like

"Every turn, look at your opponent's hand and destroy one card they control and in their hand. This card is indestructible except from an attack from Mosquito"

There was a pretty funny trading card series in which humans were the ultimate, super rare, awesome card in terms of danger. The effect was something like

"Every turn, look at your opponent's hand and destroy one card they control and in their hand. This card is indestructible except from an attack from Mosquito"

HA! Tell me that it was Yu-Gi-Oh! that did such thing. 

• Brohoof 1