Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When somebody becomes a brony?

Lemon Slices

It can be silly, but, personally, when I've watched the first episodes, I didn't considered myself brony. I was afraid of being called "gay" or something. But it was just a viewpoint. Now I consider myself a brony, no matter what.

However, in yours' opinion, do you think someone is brony if just watch the cartoon, or it needs something else? I want your opinions.

• Brohoof 1

You can call yourself a brony whenever really. The only requirement being liking MLP; rather it only be fanwork or only the show (and both of course). Like I've said before; I don't consider myself a brony but by definition I am.

• Brohoof 2

To contribute to the topic, I believe someone truly becomes a brony when they consider themselves a brony. Personally, I actually started watching the show so I could join the fandom, but I could hardly get through the first two episodes. After a few days, I stopped watching it, deeming it too much afford to put into being popular. (No, seriously. At the time, all of my friends watched MLP, and most of them were teen girls.) However, I just couldn't pull myself away from the show. For it was only only when I stopped trying to obsess that I really could obsess. I dropped all pretense of becoming popular, and just enjoyed the show and its fandom. That's when my self image upgraded into a full-fledged pegasister.

• Brohoof 3

I think it takes a little more than just watching the show to be considered a 'brony'. At least initially. After a said amount of time, things get incorporated into your very being. After which, the result is you become a part of the whole. 

Of course if you don't consider yourself a brony, then I suppose you're not. It's all how you define it. 

• Brohoof 3

When they feel the need to call themselves one? I don't think you need any sort of requirement to become a brony. Either you are, or you aren't.

I think I know how you felt I never considered myself as a Brony until I actually watched MLP..... I knew a lot about the show before I watched it so yeah

also my friend he is a half brony so I'm pretty sure he can relate as well

The short answer is, when you decide you're a fan, since the technical definition of the word is an adult fan of MLP. By that definition, that could apply to anyone who enjoys previous shows and/or the pony toys themselves. However, it is usually used to refer to someone who is a fan of FiM. Still, if you declare yourself a fan of FiM, you still fit the more restrictive criteria not found in the technical definition.

It's also worth taking other factors into consideration. At what point do you consider yourself a Brony, or for the likely small minority who don't know the term Brony, at what point do you consider yourself a fan? It could be different for everyone. That may not seem like a relevant factor, but it might be to some. What kind of Brony are you? There are different types, from closet Bronies, to those who attend as many cons as they can and cosplay whenever possible. This particular fanbase doesn't seem to have a problem with elitism, but declaring oneself a Brony can mean different things, and as much as Bronies are made out to be a homogenous group that fits an unflattering and generally frowned upon stereotype, that notion couldn't be further from the truth.

Well, really a person becomes a Brony when they decide to call themselves a Brony. In my case, I didn't really call myself one at first because of the fact that I wasn't that into the show.... but then I got into fan-music... then fan-art... then fan-fiction... and it got to the point where not calling myself a Brony seemed kind of silly.

I've watched nearly all the episodes of the show, and I don't find it that great. I like it, and I respect its fandom, but it has nothing near impressive, but maybe because I'm one of those kids who had an awesome childhood with 80s and 90s cartoons.

I think someone's a brony whenever they want to be called a brony.  Or, by generalized standards if you want to call any pony fan a 'brony', I'd say it's by the time they start watching and enjoying the show, such that it seems they're gonna like it for awhile and not immediately flake out on it in a few days.

Just a question. Are there reasons to not being considered a brony even if watch the show, forums and stuff?

The reason I don't call myself one is because I just don't see myself as a "brony". If MLP gets cancelled I'll be like "well, damn" and not totally destroyed. I use to worry about that and would think how I'd be lost without the show. And while I don't think calling yourself a brony is bad, I think it's bad if I refer to myself as a brony...well not bad, just, not very good. I use to be way too consumed by this show and the fandom and I don't want to get too deep into it.

And also it separates me from the stereotype, albeit less effective when over the internet. I don't take the show too seriously. I look back and think how stupid I was. I legitimately got a bit upset when I watched MAS because they picked on fluttershy, who was my favorite pony. But now it's probably one of my most favorite youtube series. Same with FiW, I go and watch that and think its funny when people get upset over their snowdrop parody.

As for a reason not to consider yourself a brony, was a bit covered in that wall of text above. Maybe they like the show, but don't want to be/consider themselves a part of the fandom. Or like someone said, they were worried of being called gay. Those are all I can really think of.

Depends. I mean, it's totally okay to watch MLPFiM and not call yourself a brony if you don't think you'll be a hardcore about it(ie: just casually watching sometimes or perhaps being a parent who just enjoys it with their kids), so it all comes down to whether you want to put that label on yourself or not. That said, if you're the least bit nerdy about teh poniez, it's probably a safe bet to consider yourself a brony at that point. ;)

When they like the show, and are ok calling themselves bronies. 

I've watched nearly all the episodes of the show, and I don't find it that great. I like it, and I respect its fandom, but it has nothing near impressive, but maybe because I'm one of those kids who had an awesome childhood with 80s and 90s cartoons.

Well, it's ok if you don't find the show impressive, but a lot people who love the show had an awesome childhood with those cartoons too, so i don't see the point of that argument, you only like 80s and 90s cartoons or what?

Edited by Fawkes The Phoenix

Well, it's ok if you don't find the show impressive, but a lot people who love the show had an awesome childhood with those cartoons too, so i don't see the point of that argument, you only like 80s and 90s cartoons or what?

It's difficult for me to find a few good cartoons nowadays. The Simpsons are still alive, but the show is crap now. I don't watch them anymore, and I don't even have time to watch them. My point is, since old cartoons had that impressive amount of goodness all over it, I can't see anything spectacular from a show that is restricted in so many levels.