Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When somebody becomes a brony?

Lemon Slices

Personally I'd define a brony as anyone who watches the show, but I only use the term to refer to myself if I know the person I'm talking to has the same definition. Oftentimes people who don't know that a brony is just someone who watches a TV show will attach a lot of bad reputation to the term.

Edited by StarBP

You have to be a fan of the show. Just watching it is not enough. Parents will watch it with their children even though they may not enjoy it. You have to enjoy it. 

You also have to consider yourself a brony. I don't consider myself a brony at all. The fan base is stupid. 

I didn't start considering myself a brony until I started getting in to the fandom. It's kind of for that reason that I don't consider myself a Trekkie. I like Star Trek, I watch it often. I don't really interact with it's fanbases in anyway, though. Never thought about going to a convention, never followed any Star Trek news. I just don't get into it the same way I get into MLP.

Its probably different for everyone, though. I've always held that the only criteria for being a brony was considering yourself one.

• 6 years later...

Well, I think you really need to like or even fall in love with this series before you would call yourself a Brony. This is definitely a process and can be fast or slower for each person. But I really think one would at least feel a connection with this series. Just by watching a couple of episode and not really carrying for anything seems hardly enough from my where I sit. On the other hand I don't think one needs to joint the fandom for becoming a Brony. Actually I'm convinced there are many people out there who love this series and never came close to any Brony community.