Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about Russia?

ARagY

I don't have anything against the average Russian folks, the culture or the country in general, but all i'm gonna say is i'm never going to feel 100 % comfortable sharing over 800 kilometers of border and a violent, bloody past with a military superpower...

Edited by ThatFinnMetalhead
  • Brohoof 1

Russia seems like a pretty bawss country. Their government's attitude is pretty slick too. Not to mention Stalin, the guy who showed Hitler what the word Badass meant.

I don't thin neither Germany or Russia is proud to have those two dictators still being remembered til this day. They were awful people. But we can all agree that Mao Zedong was the worst. He killed twice the people the nazi killed, almost more than Hitler and Stalin combined.

I don't have anything against the average Russian folks, the culture or the country in general, but all i'm gonna say is i'm never going to feel 100 % comfortable sharing over 800 kilometers of border and a violent, bloody past with a military superpower...

To be fair, the USA has much more innocent blood in their hands than any other country, I believe. I mean, throughout WWII the Russians were more killing theirselves than other people. Either that or they were having a slap-fight with USA as always.

Or Germany, or China, or the UK, or heck, even Spain has innocent blood on their hands, and look how small my country is.

The reason why I'm supporting Russia is because they aren't entirely in wrong regarding the Ukraine crises. Also I'm just kinda frustrated how USA is always painted as a saint and that they never do bad things. The "Russia is evil" is kinda old and not true. USA has been doing far far far more bad then Russia has. I however am against the annexation of Crimea although it was really justified and they had a good reason to do so. But still I'm against it because of the manner in which it was done. 

^This. I agree with this.

I'm actually a fan of Germany  :wub:  (not the nazi one :okiedokielokie: ).

Why...would you bring the nazi term to Germany? They're very sorry for what happened, for choosing the wrong side in WWII. Germany has a lot of nice people. And just like with Russia, it's full of bad-asses.

• Brohoof 2

I don't thin neither Germany or Russia is proud to have those two dictators still being remembered til this day. They were awful people. But we can all agree that Mao Zedong was the worst. He killed twice the people the nazi killed, almost more than Hitler and Stalin combined.

your general knowledge never seizes to enlighten me. I guess they aren't proud of those leaders. But i have to admire stalin, hitler and Mao. Im not saying in any way that i support them or like them, but i have to say this for them. They had souls of steel... at my age, they werent sitting in daddy's house. I know for fact about hitler.. he was homeless and had odd jobs to keep him alive at my age. His parents were dead. Stalin too had a rough past. Idk about Mao, but i think its something similar.
  • Brohoof 1

your general knowledge never seizes to enlighten me. I guess they aren't proud of those leaders. But i have to admire stalin, hitler and Mao. Im not saying in any way that i support them or like them, but i have to say this for them. They had souls of steel... at my age, they werent sitting in daddy's house. I know for fact about hitler.. he was homeless and had odd jobs to keep him alive at my age. His parents were dead. Stalin too had a rough past. Idk about Mao, but i think its something similar.

Even though I have knowledge about Mao, it's not that much. I've heard rumors that he drank the blood of his victims, but I don't really believe that. I'll have to do more research about him, because he also killed his own people, like Stalin. And I think he lived longer than any other dictator previously mentioned. 

• Brohoof 1

Why...would you bring the nazi term to Germany? They're very sorry for what happened, for choosing the wrong side in WWII. Germany has a lot of nice people. And just like with Russia, it's full of bad-asses.

I brought that up because there were some talks about Hitler.  :blink:

I'm quite aware that they are sorry. 

I know that they are bad ass.  B)

I do have some German friends. I'm also learning German. I hope to move there some day. 

I hope I cleared things for you  :muffins:

P.S. I guess it runs in the family loving Germany. My uncle and grandfather love them as well :squee: . Although my father loves Britain  :please:

Even though I have knowledge about Mao, it's not that much. I've heard rumors that he drank the blood of his victims, but I don't really believe that. I'll have to do more research about him, because he also killed his own people, like Stalin. And I think he lived longer than any other dictator previously mentioned

Kim-Il Sung lived about as long as Mao although Mao died earlier since he was older then Kim then. They died at the same age. They were both 82 years old when they died  :blink:

• Brohoof 2

the Russians were more killing theirselves than other people. Either that or they were having a slap-fight with USA as always.

Russia used false flag to declare a war on us, killing over 200,000 of my people in a conscious effort to destroy my homeland because we didn't give in to their utterly insane demands. To me, that's quite a bit worse than Stalin killing some of his officers because of his paranoia.

Edited by ThatFinnMetalhead

Even though I have knowledge about Mao, it's not that much. I've heard rumors that he drank the blood of his victims, but I don't really believe that. I'll have to do more research about him, because he also killed his own people, like Stalin. And I think he lived longer than any other dictator previously mentioned.

i think that might be being confused with Mr. Genghis... but who am i to talk, i dont know much about Mao either. I wasn't paying much attention in class during the chinese revolution. Stalin however was one of those few men i know who was into such things but died a natural death. He was very paranoid, which is apparent by how he got Trotsky killed. He is notorious for killing his own officers for fear of treason. And hitler also killed one of his officers in a rather gruesome manner because he had command over a part of the army.

Btw i think we are waaay off topic by now..

• Brohoof 1

Stalin used false flag to declare a war on us, killing over 200,000 of my people in a conscious effort to destroy my homeland because we didn't give in to his utterly insane demands. To me, that's quite a bit worse than Stalin killing some of his officers because of his paranoia.

Wait, where are you from?

Btw i think we are waaay off topic by now..

Indeed. :P

• Brohoof 2

Wait, where are you from?

Finland. Sorry, i should have mentioned that i guess. I guess most know that Winter war is a thing that happened but not many people know of the details of our wars with Russia, i don't always remember that 'cause it's such a big part of our history

• Brohoof 2

Finland. Sorry, i should have mentioned that i guess. I guess most know that Winter war is a thing that happened but not many people know of the details of our wars with Russia, i don't always remember that 'cause it's such a big part of our history

It's OK. I feel you. Here in Spain we had another dictator, Franco, and we had him with us from the 40s to the 70s. The bastard lived more than his pals Hitler, Moussolini and Stalin.

• Brohoof 1

It's OK. I feel you. Here in Spain we had another dictator, Franco, and we had him with us from the 40s to the 70s. The bastard lived more than his pals Hitler, Moussolini and Stalin.

I wouldn't call Franco and Stalin pals... unless you mean fellow dictator. Stalin did support Franco's enemies plus Stalin was communist.

Finland was very brave. You managed to give the Russians a hard time during the Winter War. Sadly the Allies couldn't reach you to help out.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't get the tension between Russia and the US.

They're both democratic superpowers and we've never been in a full out war against each other.

Shouldn't they be like one of our closest allies?

They are an 'ally', I believe that their cooperation with the US to run a space thing or something..

Plus, US does a lot of dealings with them and countries that interact with Russia.

Typically Russia does whatever the hell it wants and the US chastises it for that, and the US does whatever the hell it wants and Putin winks snidely.

Edited by ARagY

I'm not sure about Russia's current government, but I do know that they have a kickass national anthem:

Plus they gave me plenty of opportunities to make communist jokes in a highly cartoony russian accent.

Edited by A goat
  • Brohoof 1

I have russian ancestry, which I'm proud of, and I have several family members who live or have lived in Russia. The architecture is probably what amazes me most about the country :squee:

post-26672-0-42102700-1412537173_thumb.jpg

post-26672-0-19437200-1412537180_thumb.jpg

post-26672-0-66779600-1412537197_thumb.jpg

However, I'm not too fond of their government right now, I think what Putin is doing is utter nonsense. I think the Medvedev guy is much better. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t1wQXeRCfk

jk....had to post it

I am not too keen on the government and the governments involvement in Russia's modern/post-modern history. But I love what Russian flag is meant to stand for. I remember reading that they built statues of blacksmiths and farmers. The People's Republic at its core really appeals to me...the twisted take that was implemented does not. 

I also know the vastly different cultures that are encompassed in Russia and nearby ex-soviet countries. The cultures are so rich and diverse, I would love to travel there just to meet the different peoples. I would love to meet the Sami and the Tuvans. I would also love to experience the Siberian winter. My old high school had a foreign exchange student from Siberia, and she hated the winter here in the Midwest. She said it was too extreme compared to Siberian winters, which shocked me...She said the winters where she lives are predictable....

Ok, I live 200km of Russian border i was born in Soviet Union. Russia is beutiful land, russians are good people...

But almost 100 years rules that country NKVD/KGB/FSB maffia... If in future appear true, then may be crimes of nazies like childern play near the crimes, what are done by Stalin, Beria and Dzerzinski.

Ukrainans fight for libery of Europe. If they broke, then next is Moldova, next may be Baltic Countries and next... Like Hitler gets country by country like wolf slaughter lamb by lamb.

I hope that Ukraina are brave and Putin broke itself and in Moskva coming their own Maidan and rulers of Russia replaced.

If that fail and Putin gets stronger then you must collect grain, potatoes and salt and run to the hills - very bad and deep sht (may be nuclear) are coming.

@@ARagY,

My father's father is by now retired, but yes, he was a sort-of "shady" businessman and actually still lives quite wealthy with his wife close to the Kremlin.

The Russian Government did not shoot down MH17, Rebels using a BUK-M1 shot it down thinking it was a Ukrainian Air Force Aircraft.

The BUK-M1 system has a guidance radar system, that's about it, you can only do so much to determine the kind of aircraft. Furthermore rebels operating the equipment would have minimal knowledge in such anyways. No I am not justifying it, I am merely saying it was an accident, Unfortunately such happens in conflict and innocent people suffer.  

I'd also like to add that Ukraine too was partially responsible for that. Why on earth would anyone allow civil aircrafts in the middle of warzone? It just screams for such accidents. 

Russia is... difficult matter. I know some people from there. Very few, but still. In case if Crimea I'd only like to say that even my Ukrainian friends are not suprised by that "incident", because, as one of them said "it had more Russians than Moscow itself" - in other words majority of people living there since forever were Russians. Also current Ukrainian government calls a person responsible for Wolyn Massacre (an incident, where Ukrainians slaughtered many polish people including kids and women) a hero and of that I cannot approve. Nobody who does such thing should ever be called a hero. About separatist movement - only thing I wish for is people there stopping to shoot at each other. Let's face it. Both sides of conflict screw it up. Both refuse to stop firing at each other. Both are guilty of what is happening there. Like always - there is no black and white side of conflict. Only two armies shooting at each other and using a city full of civilians as their playground. 

But enough of politics.

Russians themselves, at least the ones I've met are really nice people who are not much different from people You'd meet in other parts of the world. Sure, they have their fair share of "weird people" but there are same even in Poland. They have some really interesting bands and from what I know they are not barbarians like media say and they too would prefer peaceful solution even if majority of them supports Putin. One of them I can call my good friend. Other one is a member here and he is yet another great person and friend. The rest (3-4 people) are bunch of nice guys I've met during my existance on the internet. Nothing bad to say about them. Well, one of them has deep hatred for muslims, but nobody is perfect, right?

Country though.... I don't know much, but I heard that it suffers greatly from corruption. If that's true then that is not a place for me to move to for good :c

• Brohoof 1

I'd also like to add that Ukraine too was partially responsible for that. Why on earth would anyone allow civil aircrafts in the middle of warzone? It just screams for such accidents.

Same thing happened during WW1. Ships were sailing in war territories  and got sunk by German U-boats. Like when Lusitania got sunk.  :wat:

Edited by JonasDarkmane

I have been to Russian before, it is quite a progressive and traditional nation, it is not a land to be underestimated. The people are very welcoming and sincere, plus they are tough as nails, it is a proud country and rightly so, they are not the brutish thugs, that western media likes to assign Russia, given the reputation we have given ourselves in Iraq and Afghanistan, to say the least, but the thing I respect about Russia, is that the people admire intelligence, not the simple, venomous comedic, TV personalities we watch at prime time, live from New York or Los Angeles, or some Red Necks from Louisiana with a reality TV show, the Russians have some smart people, and smart comedians too, all in all they are a curious people, that just want to be treated equally to other nationalities, like those in the west. Now the oligarchs, are a rotten sort, that's for sure, and the Russians are quite brave to stand up to their power, which is more than I can say in the west, sure we protest, but in Russia, average people take care of their own, then stand up to the powers that be, so Russia is a nation that should be treated equally to America. This is not a poor, middle eastern country that could be rolled over at the U.N., nor pitted against direct military action, anyone who has ever underestimated Russia experience defeat, like the Tartars in the middle ages, the Swedes at Poltava, the French at Moscow or Nazi Germany in the eastern front, the Russian military has defeated better militarises, with larger budgets, it is the ability of the Russian people to band together during a national crisis to fight an aggressor, Russia is a majestic country, it is a place the Russians will protect, Washington and Brussels are making a grave mistake, treating Russia like an enemy, we have gotten too complacent, too comfortable using military power to bully weaker countries, it would behove us to make peace, not war, if it comes to blows, Russia and its industrial capacity could humble our pride, in a very ghastly manner, I have respect for Russia, not fear, so try to distinguish the Duma from the people, Napoleon said "It is not enough to kill a Russian soldier, but you have to go over and knock him down."       

Only get back russian troops and tanks from Abhasia, Ossetia, Lugansk, Donetsk and Crimea. And respeckt the international contracts, what goverments are signed. If Russia drops her troops onto neighbour countries "for protect russian minority" as unknown green terrorists etc then those countries see Russia like distrusted enemy.