ARagY

What do you think about Russia?

I don't, in all honesty. There's a British travel YouTuber I watch called Bald and Bankrupt that makes a lot of videos of him travelling through Russia, and it seems like a very interesting country with a great history behind it. But as a destination, either to visit or to live permanently, it doesn't massively appeal to me.

Badges

Really really large country. Probably has a lot of beautiful places. Has a lot of scary stuff too!

Who doesn't love this:

Moscow_05-2012_StBasilCathedral.jpg

And Tetris!

Yea, Russia is pretty interesting, but probably too large for me to visit.

Badges

I think there's way too much anti-Russia sentiment here in America, but nonetheless my opinions of them are far from positive. Apparently it's acceptable to kill people there if they're LGBT simply because they're LGBT. Also, Putin is a fascistic @$$hole.

Sounds too cold for me but I'd still visit. 

They are a pretty cool country and people with an administration that I widely agree with on many geopolitical fronts. But I also disagree on many geopolitical fronts as well, so they are the USA of Europe in my eyes. 

The people of the place are pretty cool, very old fashioned. The culture is also pretty cool, but not one that I would wish to be a neighbor of. I would love to visit, but I am kinda paranoid that I might be kidnapped while there, so I sadly would give Russia a pass. Would still love to visit Petersburg~

Badges

4 hours ago, AngelDustlicious said:

I think there's way too much anti-Russia sentiment here in America, but nonetheless my opinions of them are far from positive. Apparently it's acceptable to kill people there if they're LGBT simply because they're LGBT. Also, Putin is a fascistic @$$hole.

LGBT is only killed in Caucases regions of Russia, they'd kill for not being muslim anyway,

Although in many areas of Russia LGBT may not be accepted, you should be fine as long as you dont go with a bf, and if you do, try to stay in Saint-Petersburg or Moscow.

For only legalising the act of being gay in 1993, been doing well, 

The younger generation is nearly clear of homophobes from what I hear anyway.

Well moat of that advice is parroted from russian friends. Sadly cant afford to go to Russia.

1 hour ago, Alastor said:

They are a pretty cool country and people with an administration that I widely agree with on many geopolitical fronts. But I also disagree on many geopolitical fronts as well, so they are the USA of Europe in my eyes. 

The people of the place are pretty cool, very old fashioned. The culture is also pretty cool, but not one that I would wish to be a neighbor of. I would love to visit, but I am kinda paranoid that I might be kidnapped while there, so I sadly would give Russia a pass. Would still love to visit Petersburg~

Are you one of the richest kings of Saudi Arabia? Then you dont need to worry about being kidnapped unless you're in chechnija or one of the caucases provence

13 minutes ago, AngelDust said:

Are you one of the richest kings of Saudi Arabia? Then you dont need to worry about being kidnapped unless you're in chechnija or one of the caucases provence

You understand that it is more difficult to kidnap high profile people than low profile people? Welcome to the world, where it has a lot of nastiness and there is a high chance of getting kidnapped in Russia. Not saying it would necessarily happen, but I am not taking any chances~

Badges

39 minutes ago, Alastor said:

You understand that it is more difficult to kidnap high profile people than low profile people? Welcome to the world, where it has a lot of nastiness and there is a high chance of getting kidnapped in Russia. Not saying it would necessarily happen, but I am not taking any chances~

I'm saying you have the same chance by population than your homeland

5 minutes ago, AngelDust said:

I'm saying you have the same chance by population than your homeland

I have the same what of what? Could you perhaps word that differently, for I did not understand this English. Am I to understand that there is the same chance of being kidnapped in Russia as there is in Iceland

Badges

(edited)
1 hour ago, AngelDust said:

LGBT is only killed in Caucases regions of Russia, they'd kill for not being muslim anyway,

Although in many areas of Russia LGBT may not be accepted, you should be fine as long as you dont go with a bf, and if you do, try to stay in Saint-Petersburg or Moscow.

For only legalising the act of being gay in 1993, been doing well, 

The younger generation is nearly clear of homophobes from what I hear anyway.

Well, I've heard it beyond there...

Gay Marriage was actually legal in the Russian SSR and the Ukrainian SSR interesting enough. :huh: So, Russia has actually went BACKWARDS on the issue.

From what I hear, not really, but it's been getting better. I mean we're not even clear of them here in the US and gay marriage has been legal in the entire country for about 5 years.

Edited by AngelDustlicious

It’s been 5 years since I last posted here, and I’ll say that my opinion has changed and I do plan on visiting Russia someday, St. Petersburg and maybe Moscow. 

Certainly most people anywhere don’t care about their government and so I don’t think it’s fair to judge a whole country by its government.

Russia has had some great composers (by my tastes, especially Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky), and I'm sure many neat aspects of the culture otherwise, but I look at the treatment of LGBT people and I also look at Putin, and it certainly has too many problems. It seems like Russia has been under different kinds of trouble for so long now. It just does not look like a pleasant, peaceful place to live.

Russia, like the US, has some gorgeous locations and nice people but a deplorable government. Most Russians I've met have been fairly chill. I'd love to visit Moscow but not for a long time. They really don't dig trans people. Kind of a big sad...

Badges

On the one hand, russia gave the world stalin, one of the most evil tyrants of modern times. On the other, they gave us Nicolai Fechin, one of the greatest artists who's ever lived. Russia is a place of extremes. 

Badges