Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on the "canon" of Bonbon and Lyra?

Gustyvelvet

Why stop there? Why not ban all form of friendship in children shows. Children should be allowed to form their own opinion when the time comes instead of having reinforced into their minds that it's perfectly fine at a young age.

*facehoof*

Friendship isn't a big time political debate. They shouldn't be taught something with so much controversy behind it a young age.

LGBT really has no place in a show for children, They should be allowed to form their own opinions when the time comes instead of having it reinforced into their mind that it's perfectly fine at a young age. Whether you believe it's ok or morally wrong, you should at the very least agree brainwashing a child into accepting your views is wrong.

I'd say it's more like sexuality in general, straight or gay, has no place in a kid's show.

I'm not 100% sure the chapterbooks are considered canon, but I think one of the chapterbooks confirms that Bon Bon (though she's really called "Sweetie Drops") and Lyra are best friends, and there were no romantic implications in the book.  Nuzzling doesn't seem to necessarily imply romance in Equestria.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

*facehoof*

Friendship isn't a big time political debate. They shouldn't be taught something with so much controversy behind it a young age.

I'm assuming you aren't going to teach your kids why racism and sexism is bad than. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids that it's okay to love someone who just happens to have the same gender as them. 

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 2

LGBT really has no place in a show for children, They should be allowed to form their own opinions when the time comes instead of having it reinforced into their mind that it's perfectly fine at a young age. Whether you believe it's ok or morally wrong, you should at the very least agree brainwashing a child into accepting your views is wrong.

How can they form their own opinions about it when they aren't exposed to it?

And showing children that lesbians exists is hardly brainwashing them.

How can they form their own opinions about it when they aren't exposed to it?

And showing children that lesbians exists is hardly brainwashing them.

You can expose them just fine when they are older. Young children should not have it forced on them.

You can expose them just fine when they are older. Young children should not have it forced on them.

So showing  young children that lesbians exists is forcing it on them? I'm calling bullshit.

By this logic children shouldn't go to church, or read books.

• Brohoof 5

don't care for them, in all honesty. Not a fan of the ponies individually, or paired in any way, shape, or form- whether it's as friends, roommates, or lovers. Because fans have ruined them for me, again- both as whatever sort of ship (relationship or friendship), and as individual ponies.

• Brohoof 3

It's hard to tell. Officially  (said by them and director Jim Miller) they are just friends. But they also made obvious implications toward them being lovers. So i guess it's in the same limbo as FlutterCord. As "best" and "closest" friends. Those who shipt them, got their nods toward it. And those who do not ship them may still carry on with other ships and headcanons.

So showing  young children that lesbians exists is forcing it on them? I'm calling bullshit.

By this logic children shouldn't go to church, or read books.

Cheers mate, I agree totally

Mmmm I've never shipped them that hard but liked the idea, and you never know, friendship can become romance and even romantic partners call each other their best friends all the time. (And they tend to last, just ask my parents!)

Plus Lyra sounded more than a little flirtatious in their first scene to my ears. I confess, I've never heard "agent Sweetie Drops" to be fanon before but, hey, I buy it. I also like how it actually caused some rift between them and how they resolved it.

It is canon, watch the 100th episode. They gave each other very questionable glances.

and then they literally said "WE'RE JUST FRIENDS" about a hundred damn times.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I never really had much of an opinion on those two recycled background assets. That is, until I saw the 100th episode, which I thought their scene was the best part of the episode.

Edited by SpaceOnion

The reason I'm pretty adamant that LyraBon is an intentional shiptease is because the characters are literally dependent on each other. Their entire characters revolve around their "friendship" with the other pony/girl. Which begs the question, what do they even add to the show? You can argue that they only make appearances because of their popularity as background ponies, but all of the other background ponies that have been starting to trickle into the show more all have their own distinct personalities and quirks that make them stand out. If LyraBon is just a friendship, then they're not contributing anything unique because our Mane characters already do the friendship stuff in a much more interesting way. And besides, Lyra and Bon Bon both became popular in part because they appeared on screen together numerous times, and it's the fanon created LyraBon ship that's always sort of been there as part of their fandom-made identities.

And besides, the things they say and do speaks for itself. In Slice of Life, they argued like a married couple. In Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? they were all too excited at the prospect of sharing their bodies with one another (can't get truer love than that), their face press in Rainbow Rocks whilst singing a duet on the piano, all the borderline intimate hugs and "bedroom eyes" looks, the heart shape at the end of their Friendship Games short, and the fact that they just can't shut up about being "best friends" is really quite a laundry list of ship fuel. Heck, Ashleigh and Andrea made a few jokes about it at the recent SDCC and admitted to shipping it. It's not exactly canon in an explicit sense, but it's pretty obviously implied if even the voice actors are lapping it up.

• Brohoof 1

Really, its just a free thread to discuss this concept. Can these two ACTUALLY be put together by Hasbro?

Is cheek to cheek, lips a meer inch apart, enough to warrent a relationship?

Is Hasbro listening to the community, or drinking there own Cool-aid?

Are we seeing what we want to see?

And omg! Derpy is her own band lead!!!!....wait..

These are the questions people!

Hi, as this topic has expanded to include all instances of Lyra and Bonbon shipping in both universes, this thread has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.