Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Success vs. happiness

RainbowMau

Success is pretty subjective term.  When most people say "successful," they're referring to financial success.  There are many other ways to succeed.  My mom has always been a stay-at-home mom.  She's not "financially successful," but I'd consider her pretty damn successful.  Technically, if you're happy, then you've succeeded at something.  You've succeeded in finding a way to be happy.  Spliting hairs, I guess.  The point is, with regard to financial success, I'd rather be happy than successful any day.  In fact, I'd rather be happy for a short while and die young than to live a long time, be wildly successful, but miserable in my job and life.

Our lives are over in the blink of an eye.  Humans will be extinct in the blink of eye.  The earth will crumble into dust and be lost to the sea of stars in the blink of eye.  Nothing ultimately matters.  All that matters is the joy we bring to each other here and now.  That's the meaning of life, and nothing more.  And that's how I live my life--I try to find joy, and bring joy to others.  When my time is done, I hope I can say I did that without regret.

How can you truly say you are successful if you aren't even happy? If you are not happy with your own life than it dosen't matter how "successful" you are.

• 5 years later...

This says enough 

“I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless but not for long
The future is coming on”

• Brohoof 1

I'd much rather be happy than successful. But I think in today's very capitalistic economy, a degree of success is REQUIRED to be happy...

"To be successful and to be happy aren't mutually exclusive" What are you on?

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

I think happiness is more important than success but success can help with your happiness even more because it's hard to be happy when you worry about not being able to afford food or rent next month.  But understand that everyone has bad days, everyone will go through difficulties throughout their life, it's important to understand that bad days are just days that are bad.  I'm not saying that you need to force yourself to be happy all the time because that can be very difficult and it's an impossible task to ask of someone in the first place.  Being successful and happy are both important things and they can interact with each other in different ways depending on the person.  I don't really think the two can be separated sometimes.

On 10/14/2014 at 1:26 PM, ghostfacekiller39 said:

Success often leads to happiness, so I'd rather be successful.

I'm gonna have to agree with this one. If you hit your goals in life, that right there is success and wouldn't reaching your goals make you happy? :twi:

Happiness IS success, but I’m not so sure I can definitively say Success IS happiness. If you’re happy that’s all the success you need. Some people think having an impressive diploma or a job with a fancy corner office and name plaque on their desk is success. Not me. And I’m not so sure a lot of these people are all that happy once the accolades die down anyway. It doesn’t have to be big and loud; sometimes it’s the little things that matter.  

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...