Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reminder: global rules, roleplaying, and sexual interaction

SCS

I have no idea what clause SCS is talking about because I read the rules albeit not recently and I don't remember that

It's in the Global Rules. Honestly, if someone doesn't see it or remember it, that's their responsibility, not the staff's. It's the responsibility of the staff to write the rules and make them readily accessible, and we have done both of those things. Beyond that, it is each individual user's responsibility to read the rules and stay up to date with them.

I just do not want he worry of all of our conversations potentially being monitored

I can assure you that will never happen. Even if we wanted to do that (and we don't) the sheer amount of time and manpower required to do something like that would make it impossible.

As it stands, messages are completely private until someone in the conversation reports it, or if a staff member notices strong/obvious external signs of a serious problem taking place in messages. In either scenario, a rigorous process of discussion among multiple staff members must occur before any action can be carried out.

• Brohoof 5

It's in the Global Rules. Honestly, if someone doesn't see it or remember it, that's their responsibility, not the staff's. It's the responsibility of the staff to write the rules and make them readily accessible, and we have done both of those things. Beyond that, it is each individual user's responsibility to read the rules and stay up to date with them.

I can assure you that will never happen. Even if we wanted to do that (and we don't) the sheer amount of time and manpower required to do something like that would make it impossible.

As it stands, messages are completely private until someone in the conversation reports it, or if a staff member notices strong/obvious external signs of a serious problem taking place in messages. In either scenario, a rigorous process of discussion among multiple staff members must occur before any action can be carried out.

Well, okay, I will take your word on that and trust you then. That's really I can do honestly. That's all I have to say now, I suppose my concern has been answered.

• Brohoof 5

This is very good announcement. I was once offended and threatened in private messages (not this site) there were no report buttons or anything like that. No one were there for me. I can tell you it wasn't very funny at the police station after that. I had no evidence that anything happened. Trust me guys this is great news. It's very important to know that these things are taken seriously.

Good job!

And to add tto that earlier message I was too afraid to tell anyone abot the threats and no one still knows that I was threatened. That's why its really important that the staff will take action even when there are no reports made. I didnt realize at the time that he was threatening me I paniced so much

I realized the truth when I had already cracked under his threats.

This isnt about the privacy its more about peples safety

• Brohoof 6

This isnt about the privacy its more about peples safety

Situationally, sure

And what if the people in one situation don't NEED safety?

What if it's fully consenting, of-age parties that are involved?

Do they get permabanned, warning points, whatever punishment mods deem fit to throw on this victimless crime?

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 2

This is great to know. It makes me glad that we have the report button in PMs as well as a staff that's willing to listen. No one should ever be sexually harassed by anyone.

I remember being in this situation before in another forum. I managed to report the guy and while it was for the better, not many members were happy to see that user get banned, even though what he did is very alarming. Looks can be deceiving, huh?

• Brohoof 4

Concerning inappropriate interaction, I really don't see what the problem is. If two or more people want to spice things up but the MLP Forums doesn't allow it then why not take it somewhere else? It's that simple. That way you can do whatever it is you wanted to somewhere else where it's allowed and the forums are then safe from harm of the things it would have been harmed by had you participated in such ways on this site. The forum is safe and all you had to do was take your chat somewhere else. In that sense, everyone is happy.

As for the privacy, since that seems to be the most of what people are uncomfortable over, well I don't really have anything to say about that. It's the way it is. It has been for a very long time even before the MLP Forums. Heck, the staff continues to say they really have no need to look at your PM unless you've really made a loud issue. The only time they break your privacy is for safety and even legal reasons. If anything what the staff does is the lowest possible end of invasion of privacy. Seriously, you want to know what it's really like to have your privacy intruded on? Because there's a lot of things that a group of people we call the government do that, unlike the staff here, don't even mention. The staff at least came out and told everyone "Yes, we have some control and power to read the things you say 'privately'" but the government does the complete opposite. They have the power to know everything about everyone at any given moment. Have you ever seen the government come out and admit it though? No. So, honestly, the privacy the staff invades is hardly anything to worry about because it could be much worse. Again, anytime they read our PMs it's for safety reasons, but the government reads anything they want about us wether they suspect something or not.

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 5

Victimless ....

A few good saucy RP's in and trust is further developed. PII/PID is exchanged ... Witness the birth of a statistic.

• Brohoof 9

Victimless ....

A few good saucy RP's in and trust is further developed. PII/PID is exchanged ... Witness the birth of a statistic.

Oh, you want to play "crazy worst possible scenarios"?

I can dig.

Person eats breakfast

Chokes on cereal

Dies

Witness the birth of a statistic

Basically, you're assuming the complete absolute worst of members here.

"Clop RP--->identity theft"? That's utterly absurd. I'm disappointed you'd draw such insane conclusions about the people you protect.

Ah...Or is it only those darned clop people that are capable of doing such a thing?

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 3

As someone who actually had their PM's viewed by an admin before I was on staff, I'll share the story, because I think it demonstrates a bit how much the admins here value privacy.

On one occasion there was an incident involving a member sending me a PM when I was still a member which I reported... the details aren't important, but the staff needed to view the conversation to figure out what was going on.  Unfortunately the member who sent it had deleted the PM's so they couldn't view it through his account, so they had to check my PM box instead to view the PM.  While most sites would simply check my PM box to view it without hesitation, I was instead contacted by the staff to ask for my permission to go in and view the PM's I reported.  They assured me they would not look at any of my other messages besides the ones from that member and that they would be kept private.

For me personally, the way this incident was handled really demonstrated how much the admins actually care about people's privacy. And I know that the admins would not abuse their authority.

I'll also say as a member of the staff that any moderation decision isn't taken lightly.  Before someone's PM's are viewed, or for that matter before any moderation decision such as a warning or ban being given, there is extensive discussion among the staff. Someone's PM's aren't viewed until several staff members have commented on the matter and there is an agreement that it is necessary.

Put briefly, the admins truly care about your privacy and as long as you aren't violating the rules in PM's you have nothing to worry about.

• Brohoof 10

Just a question. You mean that if i engage in a sexual roleplay with an adult over a pm here, and we have no problem with it, and you never learn about it... there won't be any problem but you will still oppose it if you find out?

Just a question. You mean that if i engage in a sexual roleplay with an adult over a pm here, and we have no problem with it, and you never learn about it... there won't be any problem but you will still oppose it if you find out?

While personal message rule violations are, given the nature of the system, impossible to enforce proactively, the staff can't turn a blind eye to any violations that come to their attention. If you're reported, or if someone involved admits to breaking the rules, you'll have to answer for your actions.

Point is, if you must do it, go ahead. But do it at your risk.

As an aside, we'll generally be far more lenient to those who confess. No guarantees on immunity, of course, but the outcome is much better than if you were caught another way. We want our members to feel safe here, and that means we want to encourage all of you to report anything that makes you uncomfortable.

• Brohoof 3

Some people apperantly have very short perspective on certain matters so I will roleplay a wikipedia today.

1. By making account here this is what You accepted. If You did not want moderation checking messages in such serious cases like sexual harassment then You should've not created an account here in the first place. If You go in someone else's house You don't set rules inside. You follow rules of owner.

2. There are hundreds of websites for that kind of activity, why not using them instead of forum, where it is not allowed? It would reduce lots of drama and nobody here would have a problem with that.

3. Freedom is an ability to set limits of behaviour to Yourself. So don't go with "freedom/privacy violation" thing. This is a forum about My Little Pony, not a NSFW website. It has its rules that every one of us accepted when joining it. 

4. If someone thinks any person in the world has 100% privacy then those people are fools. Governments can get all the access they want to Your personal data, they can take Your phones as evidence during investigation same with Your PC. You can even have Your bank account checked and blocked if You have high debts to pay or have done serious money related crimes. They can get length of Your hair and list of last 20 people You've met irl if they desired. So don't go with "privacy violation". It is "violated" daily and when someone is a bully or does serious crimes - I see no reason why should we give a damn about such person's privacy. Moderation is not checking messangers just because they are bored and want to gossip. They do it to protect younger members from dangerous people who are committing serious crimes like even pedophilia. Are You willing to protect privacy to the point, where pedophiles can do that kind of mess? And don't go here with "hit report button lol" - sometimes it is much harder than You think to do that. 

5. No, teens can't perform NSFW roleplays here. As someone pointed out - mlpforums would be responsible for that at a court and I doubt staff here is interested in answering for a boy unable to keep his d... in check. Would You want to be guilty of another person's crimes? I don't think so. And please, don't go with "nobody would report that". Parents would if they saw what their child is doing. I would if I saw some random adult trying to make my daughter go into that kind of activity on the internet (if I had a daughter that is xD).

Rant over. 

• Brohoof 8

While personal message rule violations are, given the nature of the system, impossible to enforce proactively, the staff can't turn a blind eye to any violations that come to their attention. If you're reported, or if someone involved admits to breaking the rules, you'll have to answer for your actions.

Point is, if you must do it, go ahead. But do it at your risk.

As an aside, we'll generally be far more lenient to those who confess. No guarantees on immunity, of course, but the outcome is much better than if you were caught another way. We want our members to feel safe here, and that means we want to encourage all of you to report anything that makes you uncomfortable.

I never said i would do it. But i don't get why i have to create a dozen of accounts to clog my computer's ram by opening Skype. In any case this is a small problem but still... if there isn't any true legal, or consensual problem i don't seem much of a harm. But still it should be kept private/hidden.

I never said i would do it. But i don't get why i have to create a dozen of accounts to clog my computer's ram by opening Skype. In any case this is a small problem but still... if there isn't any true legal, or consensual problem i don't seem much of a harm. But still it should be kept private/hidden.

How do you know someone's a consenting adult? That they are who they say they are? How would we know? We're a 13+ site, so all of our services must be provided with 13-year-olds in mind. We operate under the assumption that a randomly-picked member is underage, and that means there can be no exceptions to our global rules.

• Brohoof 4

How do you know someone's a consenting adult? That they are who they say they are? How would we know? We're a 13+ site, so all of our services must be provided with 13-year-olds in mind. We operate under the assumption that a randomly-picked member is underage, and that means there can be no exceptions to our global rules.

Look... i get it. Truly i do. I just generally feel like there is more fuss about it than there should be. I think that reporting cases that fall under the punishment category is welcome. But... should i really be looking out for such people and snitch them out on purpose if there is no trouble coming out of this? I mean the way i see it this is more to keep the image of this site than anything else.

I get the safety and all, and that it isn't welcome, but i don't think we should start a manhunt for these people.

Edited by NioniosTheSilent

Ok, assume that two people are engaged in unwanted activities through PMs, They both agree to do it and there are no other people involved in the conversation.

How would the Administrators find that out if the PM is not reported ?

The only way to do so would be to randomly select people and check their PMs but that would not be very effective due to the size of this community...

For example, I am a well-behaved member (of course) but, I could be doing some REALLY crazy stuff by PMs. But, how would you know that without checking my PMs first ?

Or maybe a mysterious voice tells you that I am doing something seriously wrong, and so you know there is something seriously wrong with me BEFORE checking my PMs which then gives you a motive to check my PMs.

or maybe, I am just missing the point here.

Explanations, please ?

EDIT : I actually read through the 5 pages of posts, but since my memory is not great, by the time I reach the end, I forget the beginning. So, if my question has already been answered, then I apologize for being such a pain.

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 1

Ok, assume that two people are engaged in unwanted activities through PMs, They both agree to do it and there are no other people involved in the conversation.

How would the Administrators find that out if the PM is not reported ?

The only way to do so would be to randomly select people and check their PMs but that would not be very effective due to the size of this community...

For example, I am a well-behaved member (of course) but, I could be doing some REALLY crazy stuff by PMs. But, how would you know that without checking my PMs first ?

Or maybe a mysterious voice tells you that I am doing something seriously wrong, and so you know there is something seriously wrong with me BEFORE checking my PMs which then gives you a motive to check my PMs.

or maybe, I am just missing the point here.

Explanations, please ?

You are missing a point here. Administration already told that they check messages ONLY after discussing the matter with the rest of staff and only if there are serious factors pointing out that someone might be doing something very wrong in private. They don't go on random witch hunting if that's what You're aiming at. 

• Brohoof 3

if there are serious factors pointing out that someone might be doing something very wrong in private

That is what I mean, how would they know that ? I mean, if people are smart, they keep their PMs private.

So, how would they know that someone is doing something wrong in private ?

Using this example again, someone could be a very well behaved member and still do crazy stuff via PMs. 

• Brohoof 1

That is what I mean, how would they know that ? I mean, if people are smart, they keep their PMs private.

So, how would they know that someone is doing something wrong in private ?

Using this example again, someone could be a very well behaved member and still do crazy stuff via PMs. 

You're right, someone might hide grim things under cloak of good attitude. Sadly such people will never be found exactly because there is no evidence against them (unless person they talk with reports them). 

But then, where can I begin... gossips (Scootalove's case), sentences with double meaning (Skylar's case), passive agressive attitude. Of course smart people will be able to hide from administration's eyes. But some people can't. Those are the people SCS was referring to. Once again - they don't do that if no good reason is given.

Also another thing - SCS is administrator for extremely long time here. He told it himself there were only 4-5 cases when someone's PMs were checked. Not so many for hundreds of users, hm? 

• Brohoof 3

You're right, someone might hide grim things under cloak of good attitude. Sadly such people will never be found exactly because there is no evidence against them (unless person they talk with reports them).    But then, where can I begin... gossips (Scootalove's case), sentences with double meaning (Skylar's case), passive agressive attitude. Of course smart people will be able to hide from administration's eyes. But some people can't. Those are the people SCS was referring to. Once again - they don't do that if no good reason is given.   Also another thing - SCS is administrator for extremely long time here. He told it himself there were only 4-5 cases when someone's PMs were checked. Not so many for hundreds of users, hm? 

Clear and precise, this is exactly the type of answer that I like. Unfortunately, I do not know Scootalove or Skylar and thus I am not sure what you mean by those examples. Nevertheless, this is just the type of answer I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 3

Clear and precise, this is exactly the type of answer that I like. Unfortunately, I do not know Scootalove or Skylar and thus I am not sure what you mean by those examples. Nevertheless, this is just the type of answer I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Happy to help. I'd rather not go with details as this is their private matter, Scootalove is a nice guy though, he just did horribly wrong thing on forums. Just to make it clear. 

Anyway, my point still is - that way of acting by administration is saved for a very special cases. I doubt any of us both will ever be exposed to that so I see no reason to worry. People who are doing such serious rule violations should be worried though because barely any of them is able to get away with that. 

Now let's enjoy forums... in friendly way :v 

• Brohoof 1

I just had a thought.

There would seem to be an offline analogy to how this is dealt with.

If you do something in the privacy of your own home, nobody knows (unless you tell them or they are involved, of course).

If you do something illegal, you wont get punished... unless the authorities find out, which they only tend to do when something brings it to their attention.

The authorities of most countries don't tend to snoop inside peoples houses, but they will usually investigate if something makes it seem there is a problem.

Just like here, really.

• Brohoof 5

I am no longer using the messaging system here, due to the lack of privacy. It's very weird and creepy that mods can do this. Snoop around in a user's messages. I am starting to lose faith in this forum and may soon find, hopefully a better one where they respect the users' privacy a whole lot more than here.

This is just, wow. 

• Brohoof 1

I am no longer using the messaging system here, due to the lack of privacy. It's very weird and creepy that mods can do this. Snoop around in a user's messages. I am starting to lose faith in this forum and may soon find, hopefully a better one where they respect the users' privacy a whole lot more than here.   This is just, wow. 

You do realize that pretty much any respectable sit with a messaging system has this power, right?

Also this, have you not been keeping up with the thread, where it has been stated multiple times that they don't just "snoop around" people's messages. That they only do it when there is good reason and solid evidence to do so. Because that whole bit seems to have just flown right over your head. Even messaging systems like Skype have this feature. If you looking for complete privacy over the internet, you're gonna be disappointed. You lucky that here the ability to view PMs is only used as a last resort.

• Brohoof 1

You do realize that pretty much any respectable sit with a messaging system has this power, right?

Also this, have you not been keeping up with the thread, where it has been stated multiple times that they don't just "snoop around" people's messages. That they only do it when there is good reason and solid evidence to do so. Because that whole bit seems to have just flown right over your head. Even messaging systems like Skype have this feature. If you looking for complete privacy over the internet, you're gonna be disappointed. You lucky that here the ability to view PMs is only used as a last resort.

I saw what they said... And the fact that they can do that is creepy.

• Brohoof 3