Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have a form of autism?

Haruhi-chan

182 users have voted

1. 1. Do you have a form of autism?

• Yes
    • No

I've noticed a lot of people saying they have autism here (I am one of them). So, I was curious to know how many have a form of autism. Whether it's high functioning or Asperger Syndrome.

So, do you have a form of autism? Is it mild or severe? Please, no bullies here.

• Brohoof 6

I do. High functioning autism, to be exact.

I don't care much about my autism, however. It may have caused a lot of trouble for me in the past, but these days I'm not proud or ashamed to be diagnosed with it. I prefer to view myself as any other person. -3-

• Brohoof 6

*sigh*

I guess I might as well admit it.

I do indeed have a very mild case of autism.

It's so mild though you wouldn't know unless I told you.

That's how my autism is. I have good days and bad days. On good days, I can go about my life as normally as possible. On bad days, you can really tell something isn't right about me at all.

• Brohoof 1

That's how my autism is. I have good days and bad days. On good days, I can go about my life as normally as possible. On bad days, you can really tell something isn't right about me at all.

Minus my autism, I'm a very quiet and anti-social person.

I do have a few friends, but not that many.

I naturally like to be alone.

My parents say it's my autism, but I pretty sure I know myself better than my parents do.

• Brohoof 1

Mm, this poll's probably going to be biased towards autistic people just because people are more likely to click on a thread about them.

(Except for me, the weird outlier who decided to go in a thread about a disorder that she doesn't have.)

• Brohoof 8

Yes I do, I was falsely diagnosed with low functioning Autism in 1988 at the age of 2 after starting to exhibit severe behavioral problems, sensory issues and language delays, the doctor was right that I had Autism but wrong about the form I have. He thought I was mentally challenged, would never amount to anything and should be put in an institution. I eventually advanced to the point where most people can't tell I ever had Autism though I still have some challenges. I can still get sensory overload from time to time and it is a very unpleasant experience, it is like someone is constantly yelling in your ear and there you can do to stop it except it is not just sound although that has always been a big one for me. And though it dosen't happen very often anymore I can still have meltdowns the last major one was due to me being overwhelmed at the amount of food at this fair and not having enough money combined with the increasingly large and loud crowd. These days the number one cause of me going on overload is my job which pulls me in a lot of different directions but with any luck I will be able to get a different and more fitting job soon and that is a Receiver (back room manager), I am on the list to go to Receiver training but that dosen't mean I will become one but it is at least a step in the right direction.

(Except for me, the weird outlier who decided to go in a thread about a disorder that she doesn't have.)

I don't know about that, Autism has become so common and talked about that nearly everyone seems to know something about it though there are of course a lot of misconceptions and confusion on the issues but I suppose that is a topic for another day. My point is a lot of people are curious about it which is a good thing actually because the more people know the more people with Autism and their families will be able to get the kind of respect and supports they need to be successful.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 3

It seems to be very common around here. I had mild Asperger's whose traits gradually waned as I got older. I was able to open myself up to new things and work on my social skills, and I'm still working on overcoming some social skills issues onset by separate emotional problems, many of which were induced by the education system throwing me in special ed for 6 years and threatening me with the mental hospital oftentimes. I consider very mild cases like mine really more of a difference of ability than a de facto disability.

However, it seems to be the very "in" thing right now to have this kind of personality type, and unfortunately people try to self-diagnose and arbitrarily apply this label to people who barely even fit the description. I hope that does not dilute attention and resources away from those who actually have these kinds of disorders and need the extra help.

• Brohoof 2

I may possibly have aspergers...? I was diagnosed with it, but there's a bit of information that was missing at the time. Until freshman year in highschool, I had no social skills. No one could raise me because no one had the time, I raised myself (Divorce). Freshman year I studied social interaction for just one day and I was instantly accepted and am now according to a few people one of the most liked people in my grade. Ironically I have no social life cuz I'm a bit shy when it comes to approaching people, setting up things or asking questions.

So I may have aspergers, but I may not. I was put in my school's asperger's group and I'm the only one who manages to get anything done there while everyone else ignores the teacher or annoys and etc.

• Brohoof 1

sometimes im fine and others im totally insane.

When I was in high school I was kind of like that, some days I would be perfectly fine but other days the slightest provocation would make me lose my temper, I spend most of my time in high school on the verge of expulsion from school because of how many times my temper got the better of me. It was a rather unfortunate combination of there being a lot of jackasses, elevated aggression from my testosterone levels shooting through the roof thanks to puberty (I don't miss that one bit) and the various frustrations of trying to understand all the different societal rules and norms and my anger in just how harsh society can be if you are the slightest bit different or screw up on certain things even a tiny little bit.