Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

resolved Really Stupid Question - Roleplaying

tKestrel
Go to solution Solved by Arylett Charnoa,

Hello everyone here. Im sorry to ask this, and I expect a smack in the head for asking, but what is Roleplaying? I cant find a straight answer in the threads.

Im sorry for holding anyone up or bugging yall. Thanks in advance for the help.

~tKestrel a.k.a Silver Wing

Edited by The Wife of Law
  • Brohoof 2

To put it simply, people engage in fictional scenarios as characters other than themselves, it's not limited to just MLP either.

Most of the time it's done in a chat or over a thread with each person typing out what their character says and does and other RP-ers do the in response to them.

It's like a story with multiple authors each writing about their own character in the story.

• Brohoof 3

Hello everyone here. Im sorry to ask this, and I expect a smack in the head for asking, but what is Roleplaying? I cant find a straight answer in the threads.

Im sorry for holding anyone up or bugging yall. Thanks in advance for the help.

~tKestrel a.k.a Silver Wing

Basically, its like acting. The people involved are a apart of a story, and the each are playing a character (usually a pony OC). They act as that character. Playing a role, if you will.

Somebody who RP's here could probably explain it better.

• Brohoof 3

I think there is an already-existing thread that explains it pretty simply. But I will take out a quote from that as it can be a bit lengthy for a new user to dig through it:

Roleplaying is when several people get together to write a story with each other via posts. They take on the roles of characters and play out various scenarios. They write out that character's actions, thoughts, and speech, and then others react to them.

That's really all there is to it. 

More details can be found in a blog I wrote which goes through it more extensively.

• Brohoof 2

a wise person once said that there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. but if you answer their questions they won't be stupid any longer. LOL  ^_^  the answer to all your question about Role playing and more will be found here

http://mlpforums.com/topic/105753-roleplay-rules-start-here/

as for my definition of it, it is like two or more people getting together and writing a story as they take the forms of their characters

going on adventures in imaginary lands.

similar to the tabletop adventure of dungeons and dragons but on a computer screen and less dice.

Edited by Lucky Star
  • Brohoof 2

Roleplaying is pretty similar to acting. You play as a character (or yourself) and write your character's actions and spoken words. Symbols like asterisks and brackets are often used to differentiate between actions and words. Roleplaying can often be done trough forum threads, chat rooms or sometimes even comment sections. Roleplays often differ in length from just small occasions to pages long sessions. Sometimes it can happen spontaniously.

Hope this helps.

• Brohoof 1

It's 2 or more people writing a story together with either pre existing or made up characters. My husband and I used to roleplay all the time when I was stuck at my  mom and dads. You can write as one or more characters, though usually people just have one (outside of the occasional npc).

Some people write it like this:

Amallia stared Avin over, blushing as he noticed her. "Um...I'm sorry...for earlier..." Amallia said, holding out Avin's Dragon Eye katana.

And some write like this:

Amallia: *blushing as she stares Avin over* Um...I'm sorry...for earlier... *Holds Avin his Dragon Eye katana*

I prefer the first style myself.

Edited by HopeFul
  • Brohoof 2

@tKestrel, @Arylett Charnoa gave you some great resources to help answer your question as have several of the other members. RP on MLP Forums is basically summed up as interactive storytelling - parts of it are planned in advance and parts of it are improvised. There are various 'levels' or RP for beginners and for advanced users. I suggest if something like that interests you, please reach out to any of the helpful RP Staff and Moderators there. Also, as you the RP team is always looking for fresh perspectives of things, you can have your voice heard in this thread as we are developing a more robust and feature complete site for Pony Roleplay.

• Brohoof 2

• 5 years later...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have confirmed the issue and were able to resolve it quickly. We will be marking this as closed.