Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one in the world who can't play videogames for crap?

Sazama Ichida

The only retro games I ever successfully beat without cheating were Sonic/Sonic3 and Knuckles, Comix Zone, and Shining Force 1 and 2.

I'm not really good at strategy either though. I can't play Fire Emblem for shit...I don't see how any of those games are beatable without cheating except for Sacred Stones and Awakening...

• Brohoof 1

Generally speaking, when you first play a platformer, don't try to speedrun it.

I did that in Super Mario World when I was 4 years old and I kept losing all of my lives by the time I made it to Vanilla Dome. After trying a more cautious approach to the game, I beat the game without getting a Game Over.

You're worrying about how good you are again. Don't do that. It's a waste of your energy. Just sit down and play the game. Don't worry about beating it. Finishing a game should be the last thing on your mind while playing.

Once again you mentioned a really hard game that you've beaten. Comix Zone is one of the hardest games on Genesis and you've beaten it? I can barely beat the first level. Seriously man, you worry too much. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Why do people think Comix Zone is so hard exactly? I really don't get it...I mean You can take more than 2 hits, You've got a life bar, There's tons of items and power-ups scattered around, And there are only THREE levels...And you've also got a really overpowered attack that you can do by holding a button down...

Nah. I can't play most video games either! I am kind of mediocre-to-not-great. Platformers? Hoo boy, also bad at those. They give me panic and I've only ever beaten Super Mario World from the older generations. Plus, old games are harder due to being poorly designed, a lot of the time. It was a time when gaming was in its infancy and they didn't have all the bells and whistles that to me, make it a generally more pleasant experience. I never play them partially for that reason, and partially because I just prefer three dimensional models.

Also, I had loads of trouble with Sephiroth. That guy was an ass. And I even had trouble with Bartandalus from Final Fantasy XIII as well. Even though JRPGs are my favorite genre, I still am not the most skilled player even at those. Lunaris, my fiance, outspeeds me in every manner. I can't think strategically too well, number management isn't my thing, and my reflexes aren't great. These are skills that a lot of games require. Yet I don't care about skill. I play for enjoyment and really, that's all that matters. If you're enjoying the game, then your skill is irrelevant. And if you dislike playing games you can't beat, then perhaps it would be best to move on to something else.

If you're only problem with certain games is that you die in a couple of hits then you really should play more games. Most games allow you to be hit a lot before you die.

There's several reasons why Comix Zone is hard. It's very easy to lose health and not a whole lot of ways to heal. You have to be really careful in combat since it's easy to get hit by enemies and even while guarding you'll take chip damage. That's not even to take into account environmental damage. And once you die, you have to start the game over from the start meaning you get no retries whatsoever. The game is pretty unforgiving even if it is short.

I'm pretty terrible at a lot of games. Most of the time I can play for a long time and just not get any better at them. I actually find that I'm much better under large amounts of pressure. Games where death has large consequences, or where you can die instantly are usually the games I'm best at. 

I'm actually pretty bad at RPG's and such a lot of the time. The turn-based ones that give you as much time as you need, I'm awful at them. It takes the pressure away and I end up making stupid decisions because of it. Meanwhile a fast-paced game that requires instant reactions and decisions is a lot easier. 

Games do take practice though. You'll usually get better at it if you keep playing. It may take longer for some people, but if you practiced enough you'd probably eventually be able to beat almost any game you wanted.

@,

I'm completely the opposite. Games where I'm allowed to think about what I do I'm far better at. When I'm rushed I make stupid decisions.

I just got done playing Gears of War 2. I have a tendency to get shot too much cuz I'm spending too much time trying to find a target's head while aiming. :lol:

UH trust me I KNOW how you feel! it takes me soooo long to beat a game when others can just like pop it in and like automatically know where to go and WHAT to do >.> I feel so dumb when it comes to gaming... I AM pretty good at fighting games and stuff and I got super good with like Mario and stuff BUT it took me so long to get up there... MY friend once told me to practices practices practices cause that's the only way I would get better NOT despite what they said I did and only got a little better... I STILL can't for the life of me figure out Zelda @_@

I guess just keep trying and one day you will be good too...

I've lost my twitch speed over the years. I used to be able to play the old NES games with ease.  Now anything that requires microsecond reflexes is just annoying and unplayable for me.  I mostly play turn based RPG's and exploration/open world games.  

Being good at all types of games is probably not going to happen for anyone.  I wouldn't worry so much about it.   "Am I having fun?" is the only question you need to ask when playing a game.  If the answer is Yes, then keep playing, even if you never beat the game.  If the answer is No, then find a different game.

• Brohoof 3

Some games I excel at but others I can be really lousy :mellow:

For example I don't bother playing Smash online because I'm 0-11 right now :(

Don't worry man. You're not the worst Super Smash Bros player.

I am...

• 2 months later...

I'm the same. I don't play too much games nowadays and when I do, I don't really defeat them. When I play a game on the Sonic Mega Collection on XBOX, I get beaten a lot. I'm not really good at video games to be honest. One notable exception is FIFA 2004 on the XBOX where I've beaten teams competing in Europe (Real Madrid for example) using lower league teams (Doncaster Rover for example) with the computer at world class level. I've also played Mario Kart Wii and placed 1st online before. I prefer playing games where you can play each other in person rather than storyline games where you only have yourself. I deal with my "I suck at video games" situation by focusing on things that matter and trying to look for things I can accomplish in my own life. In my opinion, there's more to life than video games.

I'm pretty mediocre at video games. About the only game you could probably have any challenge beating me is Mario Kart. Pokemon I can win if someone isn't competitive. If they are, then I'll lose instantly. lol

• Brohoof 1

I'd say I'm fairly decent in regards to Mario and Zelda games, though I have a lot of trouble when it comes to the older games in series. I might be able to beat SMB1 if I got to grips with world 8, but I've never gotten the hang of SMB2&3. I wouldn't even touch Zelda 1&2, but I managed to finish ALTTP (after some struggles :P) I just suck at NES games in general. :/

Same with the Sonic games, actually; I think it's only the earliest games in the series (aka everything before Sonic Adventure) that I have any real problems with. Maybe if I played more 2D Sonic, I might actually get further on...

Don't worry if there's some games you're not that good at, though :) The older games are much harder to do well in most of the time, and it could be that the video game genres you're playing aren't really your speciality out of the genres available.

• 5 years later...

If you like gaming, just practice and you'll make it. I remember when I was a little kid I wasn't able to do anything in games and it took me weeks to beat 1/4 of my first shooter game (which I can beat now in a few hours) and even more to figure out how games generally work

14 hours ago, Splashee® said:

I cannot play 3D console games any good. I just don't get how one would enjoy the limited view

Yeah, low FOV bugs me in fps games too. But in 3rs person games the camera is very convenient

14 hours ago, Splashee® said:

I gave a Genesis controller to my grandma to try to play some Sonic, and she constantly looked at the buttons to press, and not on the TV screen :sassy:

Same was with me when I used controller for the first time. Even now I sometimes mix up R2/L2 and R1/L1 triggers:sealed:

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Vefka said:

Yeah, low FOV bugs me in fps games too. But in 3rs person games the camera is very convenient

I have played Quake 1 on PC with WASD input and felt absolute perfect gameplay. But in consoles I cannot play Halo for example. Also, I am not good at Quake anyways