Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Zecora actually a dangerous character?

ManaMinori

We see many times while the Mane 6 went to the old castle of the two sisters, that an entire library (very likely filled with books of magic and forbidden things) in the old castle was left untouched and accessible to, well...anyone who enters the forest and knows the location of the old castle. The Pony of Shadows seen at the end of the episode of “Castle Mane-ia” looked very much like Zecora, from how she was originally depicted in “Boast Busters”. I believe that- as a resident of the Everfree Forest, she might've been visiting or looting the castle of whatever artifacts and/ or books in the library that would've been beneficial to her in the way of dark magic.

Dr Wolf, in his video “MLP Season 4 hopes from the younger generation” brings up a valid point that Zecora seems to vanish without warning; at the end of “The Cutie Pox” episode, and most notable, whenever the princesses, Celestia and Luna, are around, like at the end of the episode “Magic Duel”, when Celestia arrives with the delegates from Saddle Arabia, or in “Luna Eclipsed”, when Luna arrives on the scene. This, coupled with her being seen in the old castle, along with a book on Zebras in the Dark Magic section (seen in “The Fall of Sunset Shimmer” SDCC exclusive comic) of Celestia and Luna's Current castle, it would seem that there would be more to Zecora than appears; that she might very well be intentionally hiding herself from the princesses, knowing that dark magic is forbidden in Equestia, and that she may have a questionable and sinister agenda, if her character really is pursuing dark magic, like her zebra kin. I kinda have to wonder if she does have such an agenda, then could she be slowly gaining the trust of Ponyville's residents (and even Twilight, who could be the most useful to her, given Twi's magical potential) before manipulating them with her dark zebra magic, and using them all to usurp the royal Canterlot sisters? (If not, then WHY does she seem to be hiding from them, taking into account that there WAS a book about Zebras in Celestia's Dark Magic Library?)

Bonus topic for discussion:

Should there be an episode of the CMC (Babs included) leaving Ponyville, stumbling across daring Do's Hut, and getting to adventure with her? (can you see this being a Permanent thing, where they all get to stick around with Daring Do and go out on real adventures to try and earn their cutie marks? (or at least one of them. Scootaloo, maybe, since she's got no family, and being the closest to Rainbow Dash, would want to hang out with her idol's idol 24/7 and be a permanent sidekick?)

• Brohoof 5

While it is curious for why Zecora always seems to leave at those instances, however I can't say that her intentions are terrible as we have seen nothing to indicate she is bad, heck she can't even do magic on her own without brewing up potions to aid her in that regard. As for the Zebras being in the Dark Magic library section, I can easily believe it as simply not being a part of the Dark Magic section as does that comic panel states that all of those books relate to Dark magic in some form and even if so, how does Zebras perform these foul magics?

I think this maybe a case of overrthinking something and using our imagination to believe a far worst motive for a mysterious character to fill in the blanks as I have seen nothing to indicate Zecora is bad in any shape or form and has been nothing but helpful and good to the ponies of Ponyville.

• Brohoof 5

Considering that many of the characters have gone to Zecora about advice I'd lean towards the answer "No".

However I guess it's mostly to do with culture, like it was discussed in her debut episode. Over where she comes from people do things quite differently. In a world of magic this seems to make perfect sense.  :D

I say it's in the heart of the wielder, and that can go for anyone.

I'm pretty sure that's where they were getting at with Discord too.  :umad:

• Brohoof 2

While you bring up some very interesting points here, I'd like to point out that the Pony of Shadows at the end of "Castle Mane-ia" was actually Lord Tirek. The writers of the show commented on that somewhere.

• Brohoof 2

Mysterious does not always mean sinister. There's no real evidence that it was Zecora at the end of "Castle Mane-ia", in fact, I think it was Tirek, if not the actual pony of shadows.

As for the bonus discussion... watch "Daring Don't" again. The Mane Six travelled a really long distance to reach Daring's hut. It's unlikely that the CMC will just stumble into it.

• Brohoof 2

She has the potential to be dangerous, but she is a good moraled character as evidenced by her interactions with Twilight in both the s4 premier and "magic dual" so I doubt she was any villain in disguise or the pony of shadows at the end of "castle mania"

And you have the whole perspective thing, were what equestria considers evil magic may be legal, as only the mages guild outlaws necromancy, but the college of winterhold has no issue with it.

• Brohoof 2

She has the potential to be dangerous, but she is a good moraled character as evidenced by her interactions with Twilight in both the s4 premier and "magic dual" so I doubt she was any villain in disguise or the pony of shadows at the end of "castle mania"

And you have the whole perspective thing, were what equestria considers evil magic may be legal, as only the mages guild outlaws necromancy, but the college of winterhold has no issue with it.

I forgot for a few seconds that YOU REALLY LIKE TES

whenever the princesses, Celestia and Luna, are around, like at the end of the episode “Magic Duel”,

I don't know if I agree about Luna Eclipsed being used to support your position. Zecora hung around the whole night. Heck I would be shocked if she, Mayor Mare, and Applejack weren't aware of what Twilight had planned and were in on it since it was their suggestion to lead to kids to the Nightmare Moon candy offering, not Twilight's.

Other than that, it's an interesting point of view. 

• Brohoof 1

Interesting idea, but I don't think Zecora has any malevolent intent. I think she has more experience with the darker aspects of Equestrian magic and nature than most, but it comes with the territory when you're brave enough to set up shop in the Everfree Forest.

She's not any more powerful than the other ponies.  She can't do magic, like unicorns can, she can just brew potions.  She's helped out when she could, even though she didn't have to, so I'm going to have to say no, she isn't dangerous or evil.  Even when everyone feared her, she didn't do anything bad or even provoke anyone.  The show is just showing that even though someone is different and you find them scary, they may be very kind and just have different ways of doing things than what you're used to.

She's not any more powerful than the other ponies.  She can't do magic, like unicorns can, she can just brew potions.  She's helped out when she could, even though she didn't have to, so I'm going to have to say no, she isn't dangerous or evil.  Even when everyone feared her, she didn't do anything bad or even provoke anyone.  The show is just showing that even though someone is different and you find them scary, they may be very kind and just have different ways of doing things than what you're used to.

No, Zecora knows magic. How she manages that without a horn is an interesting question, but she was the one Twilight went to for magical advice in "Magic Duel", and we saw Zecora make tea appear from nowhere in one scene.

post-2257-0-52600900-1413252637_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-13908300-1413252638_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-69410500-1413252638_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-23249200-1413252639_thumb.jpg

How Zebra magic works is unknown, though.

No, Zecora knows magic. How she manages that without a horn is an interesting question, but she was the one Twilight went to for magical advice in Magic Duel, and Zecora makes tea appear from nowhere in one scene.

I assumed it was just a 'magic' trick, like a magician would do to entertain her guest.  I guess she might have some kind of magic though.

No, Zecora knows magic. How she manages that without a horn is an interesting question, but she was the one Twilight went to for magical advice in "Magic Duel", and we saw Zecora make tea appear from nowhere in one scene.

Don't all ponies have a certain kind of magic depending on race though? That's what I remember seeing in Twilight's Kingdom. If that's the case, Zecora probably has some kind related to her species, but like you said, that's a mystery at this point. This show needs more Zebra explanation. Zeblanation.

As for her being dangerous, nah. Misunderstood? To some in Ponyville, definitely, as she was entirely before, but she has proven far more helpful so far in the show than dangerous at all.

Plus, she rhymes, she cool.

• Brohoof 1

How could you say such a thing?

I dislike this mud you sling!

Zecora is a friend and teacher, fair

She does not not seek to ensnare

Dark magic, you say?

To this, a resound "nay"

This is all based on conjecture

Not enough to condemn her

• Brohoof 4

A Unicorn is just the same as a magic user with a wand. There are magic users able to cast spells through other mediums, words, symbols, or hand signs.

Discord and Tirek used magic without a horn. So any other pony can use magic besides Unicorns or Alicorns.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't think Zecora is really much for a dangerous character but she is one I wouldnt want to piss off. Considering how wise she is and her knowledge of potions Zecora is not a pony you would want as an enemy. But is she dangerous, no, not really.

• Brohoof 1

I have the headcanon that the difference between unicorn magic and zebra magic is like the difference between wizard magic and witch magic in the Discworld books. This quote says it best, I think: "There are two ways of doing magic:The wizard way and the witch way. How would you cause a snowslide, dear Tiffany? A wizard would simply shake the mountain. But you could also look for the spot where you could let fall a single, tiny snowflake - and cause a much greater avalanche. This is witch magic."

Also, being powerfull and mysterious do not make someone dangerous - or  at least only dangerous for their enemies. As Granny Weatherwax put it: "The one thing most people forget about power is that the amount of stuff you can do by using this power ain´t nothing against the amount of stuff you can do by not using it."

Actually, I think Zecora got a mastery in "Boffo", and I won´t be surprised to find the lable of some shop in Ankh-Morpork on some of the stuff she has in her hut.

I wouldn't think Zecora is really much for a dangerous character but she is one I wouldnt want to piss off. Considering how wise she is and her knowledge of potions Zecora is not a pony you would want as an enemy. But is she dangerous, no, not really.

Exactly. She is Granny Weatherwax light.

Have some Zecora and Granny stuff!

post-27112-0-00113100-1413307272_thumb.jpg

post-27112-0-59903800-1413307387_thumb.jpg

post-27112-0-08591300-1413307456_thumb.png

post-27112-0-34453700-1413307654_thumb.png

post-27112-0-78907100-1413307659_thumb.png

post-27112-0-51330900-1413307663_thumb.jpg

post-27112-0-37258000-1413307665_thumb.jpg

Good point, Havelock. It is getting cold again.

Edited by ~ Dr. Ocsid ~
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use Sweet Ole Bob as my handle.  In the real world, I am usually just refered to by the initials.  This is because I am a mean spirited, cynical old grump.  Thus, I have long had my suspicions of Zecora.

Episode 9, Bridle Gossip, the ponies shun her.  The mane 6 break into her hut, spouting wild accusations & trash the place while she is only trying to help them.  Twilight was the only 1 who even had the decency to apologize.

She teaches Apple Bloom about potions.  What thanks does she get?  AB steals from her (does apologize) & trashes her in her gossip column (no apology I ever saw).

Spike steals from her.  She takes all this crap from them & STILL tries to help them?  WHY!? No one keeps returning good for evil like that without an ulterior motive

Magic Duel makes it clear *Atonement* At some point Z walked w the Dark Side Of the Force.  (Possibly a con artist of some sort -she has the skills) .  She did something(s) she is ashamed of.  This is why she has come so far from home, where no one knows what she did.  She helps the ponies to make amends.

Or, possibly, she takes their crap because she is a spy, searching out the secrets of the castle mania library.

That would be the greatest plot twist in the show! :o

But at the same time, think about what kind of lesson that would teach...

In bridle gossip, the moral of the story was don't judge people because they're different/don't stereotype/don't jump to wild conclusions based on appearance.

That would completely go against that lesson now, wouldn't it? Its the equivalent of saying to kids "Don't jump to wild theories about Zecora because she looks different than you, she's just from a foreign place....*bwhaahahha who are we kidding she was evil all along!*"

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

That would be the greatest plot twist in the show! :o

But at the same time, think about what kind of lesson that would teach...

In bridle gossip, the moral of the story was don't judge people because they're different/don't stereotype/don't jump to wild conclusions based on appearance.

That would completely go against that lesson now, wouldn't it? Its the equivalent of saying to kids "Don't jump to wild theories about Zecora because she looks different than you, she's just from a foreign place....*bwhaahahha who are we kidding she was evil all along!*"

well, I'm not judging her off her looks; it's by her actions, really. Sooo, yeah.

I'd much rather think of her as a helpful soul, but we don't know her past, so there is something still there.

As far as the Pony of Shadows the writer said it was simply a gag, like Fluttershy's tooth, and had no greater meaning. Did some new info come out?

• 2 weeks later...

If he was bad, she could be dangerous. She knows how to start cutie pox, and how to cure it. With that information, she could wipe out a town. I know several of them know the cure now since the actual episode, but if they didn't she could be a hazard. Along with all that, I'm sure there's a lot of other diseases she could make too.