Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Coco Pommel so popular?

Gustyvelvet

:Is IRL hidding behind a blanket from the Fan-boys response to this thread, but posts it anyways:

Please...please, explain to me why she is so popular, why is she the "best pony" and a "waifu". 

With one episode, where she is in screen perhaps 40% of the time, if not less, why do so many of you LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-GASP-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE, her?

I am NOT attacking her, I just wish to understand. All I can see when I look upoun her character is "a normal pony, just doing her job and looking to keep said job". :shrug: Maybe I am blinded by Raritys PERFECTION, or Shimmeys awesomeness, in the Ponyverse, I don't know.

Please...please...explain why is she so popular.

But unlike Vinyl, the Derp, and Octy, she has ONE episode. 3-lines of dialogue and is barren and empty as a character. Derpy has the hype of "oh shit she is a retard", Oct has the "oh wow a silent type who is ment to be born of focus on her prof" and DJ-Pon3 is "the common music gen", Coco =....wut?

I have no idea. Her voice? Because she looks cute? Because she's so sweet and kind? Because she was a very nice pony that was being abused by a very mean pony and people feel compassion for her? I have no idea. :P

• Brohoof 3

I guess that new ponies just get a lot of attention, since they are new and stuff. 

I'm personally not like some huge fan or anything, she's cool I guess, but I don't have any undying love for her.

But people can love ponies for all kinds of reasons, many background ponies don't say anything really, but people still love them.

And even ponies like Celestia and Luna get some screentime and lines, but not a whole ton of analysis, or whole episodes dedicated to them or anything, but are still loved.

So, while I don't know the exact reasons, I know a pony doesn't have to be a main character to be loved.

Celestia = a GOD

Luna = a GOD

Cadence = a GOD (of love)

To compare these 3 to randome background and "lets get a new VA for this episode" money spending, is silly. Even DERPY is a REAL character, the fans protect her, love her, and NEED her in everything pony, human-persona movies, or otherwise, DHX knows this, why we see her in RR.

But Coco?? It has to be past "random background Pony" affection, I do not buy that.

There has to be something there, something that pours on the reviewers and fans alike, that drewl over her. Is it her innocence? Then why not just love fluttershy? Is it her professionalism? Then why not just love Rarity? Is it she is in a wrong place at a wrong time and forced to be a tool other then a solo being? Then why not love Sonata Dusk?

I am NOT hating on Coco, shes cute, i get that, but what i DO NOT GET, is why she is ALL OVER, my Tumblr and the interwebs as if shes the best thing since sliced bread. Explain to me, PLEASE, why she is mentioned by ever reviewer of RR "Why isnt Coco in this movie" or every-SINGLE- fucking reviewr of the episode she IS in "omg the best back ground pony eeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver" its like every single person is drinking the cool-aid....i am NOT HATING..I just do NOT understand???????????????????????????????????????????/

• Brohoof 2

Fairly unique character design as well. Her color palette is standout and she's got a bit of clothing which is also a rarity (pun intended gg). Anything out of the ordinary character design wise catches attention. Whole reason Touhou is a thing.

EDIT: And background characters getting a lot of attention is hardly a new thing. Happens in most fandoms.

Edited by (\angel/)

Just look at that face.

post-28184-0-96221400-1413260007_thumb.png
That not quite confident, not quite completely introverted look, with the voice to match it. That color scheme that fits perfectly together. Wonderfully expressive eyes...
Coco Pommel's not even all that interesting to me(not that I hate her, or anything), but I can see why people would absolutely adore this character.

• Brohoof 5

For me she is so darned cute & adorable, while having a lovable personality. That's all reason I need.

No match for Fleur or the Spa twins though. ;)

• Brohoof 2

But unlike Vinyl, the Derp, and Octy, she has ONE episode. 3-lines of dialogue and is barren and empty as a character. Derpy has the hype of "oh shit she is a retard", Oct has the "oh wow a silent type who is ment to be born of focus on her prof" and DJ-Pon3 is "the common music gen", Coco =....wut?

Except for Vinyl in Rainbow Rocks, she still probably has more screen time than all of those characters.

• Brohoof 1

Because she's quiet. For some reason, people are infatuated with everything that is shy being cute. Not always the case, but yeahh.

The common line of thinking probably goes like:

Shy = Cute = Like

Kinda silly, if you ask me. I do dig her for coming in to give Rarity that trophy, allowing Rarity to pass her job onto Coco and letting her stay with her friends, but that's not the general reason, it seems.

• Brohoof 4

She didn't seem all that shy to me. Just soft-spoken and polite. She spoke first to the Mane Six and asked if she could join them with quite a bit of confidence, given it was one pony coming to speak with 6 others who were strangers, even if she did already know they would be kind.

I think she just has a nice design. Heck, Derpy got a super strong following just by having wall eyes.

Idk

I was too busy paying attention to Rarity in that episode :please:

Wait, who are we talking about again? Oh yeah, the Coco pony. :huh:

I was just as taken aback by her sudden popularity at first actually... but eh, people attach themselves to all sorts(ALL SORTS) of characters on this show, so it's really not surprising. She is second to Cheese Sandwich as best key giver imo tho. ;)

• Brohoof 1

She's really cute and sweet and people probably liked the outcome of the episode because of what she did. Also her design and color pallete are ADORABLE.

She doesn't get much for development, but I wouldn't say she's empty personality-wise. You can at least get a little sense of who she is.

And I don't like the use of the slur "retard" to refer to Derpy (also "derp" is a very condescending word used to make fun of mentally disabled people so I prefer Bubbles, one of her others names. Not forcing you to use that name instead, just going to refer to her by that myself).

People enjoy that a character with a disability can be widely accepted and loved in a show watched by all ages. While it's not 100000% canon that she is actually autistic or has down syndrome, she at least definitely has a disability when it comes to her eyes. And I think it's cute that they acknowledge that the fans love her and add her to the show for us.

Although the scene where she got actual dialogue and they actually called her "Derpy" was a pretty cheap, mean-spirited series of gags. Just because her eyes are askew doesn't mean she has to absolutely ruin everything she touches like Wreck-It Ralph. People with physical/mental disabilites aren't just roving accidents waiting to happen.

Sorry, that got a little... off topic. I'm just a little defensive of Bubbles. You may not mean to be insulting with the use of that word, but just so you know it's not a good word to use.

• Brohoof 3

Carefully crafted manipulation of your paternal instincts.

Although the scene where she got actual dialogue and they actually called her "Derpy" was a pretty cheap, mean-spirited series of gags. Just because her eyes are askew doesn't mean she has to absolutely ruin everything she touches like Wreck-It Ralph. People with physical/mental disabilites aren't just roving accidents waiting to happen.

It wasn't mean spirited. That shit's been going around on the internet forever before that episode aired, all in good fun.
And yeah, a mental handicap won't make you break things. But a lack of depth perception caused by bad eyes might. Imagine having crossed eyes 24/7.

By the way, just a wild guess, you don't happen to spend a lot of time on Tumblr, do you?

Carefully crafted manipulation of your paternal instincts.

It wasn't mean spirited. That shit's been going around on the internet forever before that episode aired, all in good fun.

And yeah, a mental handicap won't make you break things. But a lack of depth perception caused by bad eyes might. Imagine having crossed eyes 24/7.

By the way, just a wild guess, you don't happen to spend a lot of time on Tumblr, do you?

Yeah, but I don't particularly like when it goes around there either.

Yeah, she may drop things. I was fine when they had her drop a package from the air as a side gag in one episode, that was perfectly fine and funny/cute. Of course she will miscalculate where things are sometimes because of her eyes.

Hell, I drop things all the time and I just have slight focusing problems (and moderate double vision if I don't take my iron pill....)

But when she busts through top of city hall, and breaks through the floor and sends Dash through it, and Dash is really pissed at her because she can't do anything right all because of her eyes, it just seems really mean?

I know they didn't MEAN to BE mean, but honestly. Why was that even funny? People with eyes that shift/stray from a matched position can still see and manage life ok.

Yes. I do spend a lot of time on Tumblr.

But don't start that "WHAT IS THIS,,,!!, SOME KINDS OF SOCIAL JUSTICE BULLSHIT???? !?!/! !!!! ??" stuff with me.

I've dealt with people ridiculing my mentally disabled friends for things they can't help since second grade. Long before Tumblr existed, thank you very much.

Edited by nonespark
  • Brohoof 3

But when she busts through top of city hall, and breaks through the floor and sends Dash through it, and Dash is really pissed at her because she can't do anything right all because of her eyes, it just seems really mean?

I know they didn't MEAN to BE mean, but honestly. Why was that even funny? People with eyes that shift/stray from a matched position can still see and manage life ok.

Slapstick comedy is rooted in exaggeration. Someone dropping a vase isn't funny. Someone accidentally destroying all of city hall with only their butt is. Come on, this is comedy 101.

And wouldn't you be kinda miffed if you're trying to fix something when some other person comes along and destroys all your work, and all the property surrounding it?

Edited by SonOfTheNorthe

Slapstick comedy is rooted in exaggeration. Someone dropping a vase isn't funny. Someone accidentally destroying all of city hall with only their butt is. Come on, this is comedy 101.

And wouldn't you be kinda miffed if you're trying to fix something when some other person comes along and destroys all your work, and all the property surrounding it?

Sigh...

Listen, man. All I want is for disabled people to be able to be represented in cartoons and TV shows that show them doing things and being fun and cute and loveable,

and not just the butt of a joke 90% of the time because they're "not normal".

Especially of them just being utterly incompetent specifically because of their disability, u feel me?

If you had a disability, how would you feel if the only time you ever saw someone like you represented on TV the character was only ever "weird", a "freak", or just really "dumb" or useless or incompetent.

That's most of what I see. When I do see it. Which is rare.

And I don't mean rare as in a disabled person being portrayed that way, I mean it's rare I see a disabled person on TV at all and when I do they're usually a joke rather than a character. Especially in cartoons. Does that make sense?

Disabled people are people, not an inconvenience.

Also, we're far off from the original topic of the thread lol. 

Edited by nonespark
  • Brohoof 1