Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Coco Pommel so popular?

Gustyvelvet

1. Her design. It obviously is based on Fluttershy, but she does not share Fluttershy's shyness. She is quiet, but not shy or at least not as shy as Fluttershy is. She is really cute, has great colour choice, also her mane is pretty original yet great at the same time.

2. In very critical moment she did what is right. She risked her job and her own safety (at least from money-related point of view) to do something good. And she did that for no personal gain. That is admirable trait and even if her presence on screen was very little I still adore her for that. It was short but good enough for me.

3. Her voice, obviously, I just like her voice. 

Those are main reasons. Besides what is a big deal. Everyone can like whichever pony he/she wants to like and "overrated" is a wrong term when aimed towards fictional characters. It most often is aimed towards ponies someone dislikes (I dislike that pony so it is overrated :derp: ). I mentioned it, because many people call Luna, Fluttershy or even Coco Pommel overrated. 

• Brohoof 6

One thing we missed is that Coco Pommel is The Woobie. She was forced to take so much crap while working for Suri that the combination of this background, along with her design, personality, and background which push all the right buttons for cuteness, made her very appealing and really made us feel sorry for her, and all the more rewarded when she finally quit on Suri and made amends with Rarity. She was just the perfect combination; her story resonated well and her design and personality were bait for fanart.

• Brohoof 1

Sigh...

Well, why don't we take a poll and ask disabled people how they feel about Derpy? I, for one, have seen more disabled people who like Derpy more than hate her. I cant' even remember the last time I've heard a disabled person claim they didn't like Derpy, but I've seen quite a few posts from disabled people who love her. All the hate for Derpy comes from people who aren't even disabled. It's even more offensive to assume that they can't speak up for themselves.

Well as I am person and not people, I can only answer in one way. 

Coco Pommel's raison d'etre is to help resolve the a few loose plot threads, to indicate that Rarity help show her a better course of action earning Rarity the key, etc. She is more of a plot centric character in the grand scheme of things. She is in 2 episodes now and will be in a Season 5 episode, likely the 100th episode. She is adorable. 

Now, my reason is that she completes the Element of Generosity in Rarity. To be truly generous one must also be magnanimous. Coco Pommel is forgiven by Rarity and embraced which adds to Rarity's central purpose on the show, and helps to further develop her. Oh, and she has a cute voice. 

:D

• Brohoof 5

Well, why don't we take a poll and ask disabled people how they feel about Derpy? I, for one, have seen more disabled people who like Derpy more than hate her. I cant' even remember the last time I've heard a disabled person claim they didn't like Derpy, but I've seen quite a few posts from disabled people who love her. All the hate for Derpy comes from people who aren't even disabled. It's even more offensive to assume that they can't speak up for themselves.

Yo, yo. Calm down the butthurt a little.

I fucking LOVE Bubbles (still calling her that).

Almost everyone loves Bubbles.

I'm not saying she should receive hate or not be there at all.

I'm just saying she could have been handled a lot more respectfully the one time they actually gave her significant screen time. Geez.

• Brohoof 1

She's popular?

okay... but I've been feeling around the community since I started watching the show and I haven't seen a single thing on her. I didn't even remember her name and had to look the mare up. I mean she seems nice and what not but I do not see her as much as Octavia, or Vinyl, or Derpy, or any of the other background characters. 

Well she is a background pony so did you think people were gonna do with Coco just ignore her? I must admit I find it quite interesting how bronies get so obsessive over background ponies.

She's not really a background pony though. In her first appearance she had lines of dialogue and was integral to the plot.

• Brohoof 1

I do like some parts of Coco and such

and she was a side made to help Rare and

keep the EPs going along for the grander

plot.   Yet  if you like her,  good for

you!

I could ask the same question about Berry Punch, Lyra, or any other background pony.  They've got no character devopment or history at all yet they all have a fan base.  They like her because they do for the most part and I think that's about as far as it goes.

You can NOT compare characters such as Lyra, Bonbon, or Derpy to Coco. Why Gusty, why??

Simple.

Coco is a tool ment to crack a nob for ONE episode, in a work site that will NEVER be seen again in the Cannon. Yes we followed Queen Ra-ra to Manehatten, but the reality of the SHOWS main setting, is PONY-VILLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!

Where does Lyra live? Bonbon? Derp-da-Derp? oh...it isnt MANE FUCKING HATTEN...its PONYVILLE!

Those three "back ground ponies" ( who have gotten fleshed out and REALLY fan loved in the movie Rainbow Rocks..watch it...liiiiiiiiive in Ponyville, are next door neighbors to the Mane6, we see DAILY in episodes, wandering around, buying apples, having conversations, BEING REAL CHARACTERS!)

Coco= Cheese Sandwich, an after thought, a plot device, a MEMORY!

Do not COMPARE, Lyra, or Derplishous, or even Mayor Mare to the flash int he pan that is "Fluttershy lite" ie Coco.

You CAN LOVE HER, I am fine with that...shit, i respect that! Hell I loooooooooooooove Sonata Dusk, talk about a flash in the pan! I am NOT telling you Bronies who to like..the point of this is, Coco is hundreds of miles away, while Lyra or Mrs. Cakes, is DOWN THE FING STREET!...dO NOT COMPARE THEM!

She is just a tool to give RArity her key..bottom line..sorry..

You can NOT compare characters such as Lyra, Bonbon, or Derpy to Coco. Why Gusty, why??

Simple.

Coco is a tool ment to crack a nob for ONE episode, in a work site that will NEVER be seen again in the Cannon. Yes we followed Queen Ra-ra to Manehatten, but the reality of the SHOWS main setting, is PONY-VILLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!

Where does Lyra live? Bonbon? Derp-da-Derp? oh...it isnt MANE FUCKING HATTEN...its PONYVILLE!

Those three "back ground ponies" ( who have gotten fleshed out and REALLY fan loved in the movie Rainbow Rocks..watch it...liiiiiiiiive in Ponyville, are next door neighbors to the Mane6, we see DAILY in episodes, wandering around, buying apples, having conversations, BEING REAL CHARACTERS!)

Coco= Cheese Sandwich, an after thought, a plot device, a MEMORY!

Do not COMPARE, Lyra, or Derplishous, or even Mayor Mare to the flash int he pan that is "Fluttershy lite" ie Coco.

You CAN LOVE HER, I am fine with that...shit, i respect that! Hell I loooooooooooooove Sonata Dusk, talk about a flash in the pan! I am NOT telling you Bronies who to like..the point of this is, Coco is hundreds of miles away, while Lyra or Mrs. Cakes, is DOWN THE FING STREET!...dO NOT COMPARE THEM!

She is just a tool to give RArity her key..bottom line..sorry..

1st. Calm down, all this capslock stuff You do looks nothing short but silly. No offence. 

2nd. Coco Pommel already had second appearance + confirmed 3rd appearance in new season, Your argument is invalid xD 

3rd. I guess I'll say something more - that tool is given personality by Hasbro. Well described one. Can You say same about Lyra? Bonbon? Derpy? Mayor Mare? They have some little personality but majority of their story and personality is given by fanbase. They appear more often, but their appearances are insignificant to the story most times. They can easily be replaced in their roles by other background ponies (with Derpy's "bigger" appearance when "helping RD" being an exception). 

Now You say that You are fine with that. Then why did You make this thread? And this post? And why did You use words like "fucking" or "shit"? Does not sound like You're fine with that to me. Even capslock is not helping Your cause here. If You don't like her - fine, I understand that. But at least don't act like You dislike the fact others like her. You can say You are fine with that, but Your actions are saying something else.

I've no idea how, but I think it could all come down to the hidden essence that made her such a fan favorite pony: she's a representation of what we humans would be like in an untrusting and cruel society with someone like Suri looking down on her as if she's nothing special, weak, pathetic and totally not up her levels compared to her.

She's also quite the shy and cute little pony who's timid and cute nature can rival that of Fluttershy because we care for her more than some of the rest including the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

Coco is an interesting character because she's a particularly adorable character with a soft-spoken demeanor and a heart of gold... something that is considered very appealing to most people... myself included.

Plus, her awesome moment of redemption near the end of the episode. That was definitely good on her.