Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Overhated/Overrated Games

A Black Circle

Overhated: Jaws Unleashed. I know the story is absurd, but come on. It's Goat SImulator! WITH A SHARK! IN PS2!!

Overrated: Any Sonic game. I seriously dispise that hedgehog.

• Brohoof 1

Overhated:

Call of Duty series - So many people complain about each game is basically the same game each time with a few minor changes and reskins, yet people love series like Pokemon, Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, etc., and those games are basically the same game each time as well (I like all the games I've mentioned so far, mind you). Another thing is that people treat it and judge it like a realistic shooter when it's always been more for fun and arcade-y. They're fun games; albeit with some some flaws, but not enough to widely regard them as some of the worst games ever.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Considering this is my favorite Zelda title, I disagree with a lot of the hate it gets. I never really saw what's so wrong with it. It was dark, but not so dark that it felt like they were trying too hard like some people say. There are a lot of memorable characters, bosses, and music in this game; and the atmosphere is fantastic at times; particularly when you're traveling through Hyrule Field at night, collecting the tears, or carrying Midna through the rain as a wolf. Speaking of the wolf, that offered a lot of cool moments during the game. Finally, this game has Midna: one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All - The second game in the original Ace Attorney trilogy is hated by a lot of people, and I don't really understand why. The 2nd case is really good, and introduces some great characters, and the fourth case is an amazing case with great scenes from Edgeworth, Gumshoe, and more. The first and third cases aren't as bad people say they are either; the first one being a fine tutorial case, and the third one having interesting characters and an interesting story. This game also introduces Franziska von Karma: a fan favorite.

Pokemon Black and White - I often see this game criticized for the Pokemon designs; particularly for too may based on everyday objects, but this doesn't seem fair to me, as there have been object-based Pokemon in all of the previous generations. This game actually introduces a lot of great Pokemon like Scolipede, Mienshao, Oshawott, Litwick, Whimiscott, Audino, Munna, and plenty more. These games also have improved storylines from the previous games, and are just fun games to play.

Overrated:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Don't get me wrong; this is a fantastic game, but I don't think it deserves to be regarded as one of the greatest games of all time when there are games I consider to be better, even from the same series (such as Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, or Skyward Sword), that don't get the recognition they deserve. There are a few dungeons that I'm not too fond of in this game (e.g. Shadow Temple and Water Temple), and the characters don't seem as well-written or memorable as other characters from the series.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 3

I think that Ride to hell: retribution is over hated if you were to actually spend more than an hour in the game you will see that it only has problems with pacing, the game it's self is pretty good.

Edited by Knight of the forums

Overhated - Call of Duty Ghost, this game was actually a very good game. 

Overrated - Call of Duty Black Ops 2, this game was simply easy and took no skill to play... Unless I am fucking pro

Overhated: Halo (Till 4 fuck 4), Call of Duty (Although it brought it's ailing popularity onto itself) Most 3D Sonic games

Overrated: Mega Man 2 (There are better Mega Man games), Team Fortress 2 (What happens when you give the fanbase too much control over the game, arena fps action is replaced by hat trading and randumb maymayz Xdddddd)

I hate the term "overrated" but,

Overrated:

Sonic Adventure 2 - Only the Sonic/Shadow stages are good, plus besides for City Escape and like 2 others, the soundtrack is horrible.

Team Fortress 2 - Just another shooter to me.

In fact, Most Valve/Steam games - Besides for GMoD and Portal (and maybe Half-Life), most of these only hold my interest for about 5 minutes

Minecraft - It only holds my interest for about 5 minutes.

Overhated:

Sonic 3D Blast - It's honestly a pretty fun game and I like the bit of exploration it has.

ROBLOX - The moderation and community ARE horrible, but otherwise it's a fun game.

Super Mario Bros 2 US - "IT'S A RIP OFF OF DOKI DOKI PANIC! LET'S BOYCOTT!"

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex - It's not the best, but it's at least better than Titans and Mind over Mutant.

Edited by Percy

This is the first time I have ever heard that argument or of the game Doki Doki Panic. 

Sadly, I hear it all the time, especially in 2010 and all that.

ScrewAttack actually put it on their Top 10 Worst List under Mario Teaches Typing just because of that. I mean, wtf?

ScrewAttack actually put it on their Top 10 Worst List under Mario Teaches Typing just because of that. I mean, wtf?

That is quite bizarre.  It is probably one of the most original Mario games out there and at the time it was down right revolutionary. 

• Brohoof 1

Overhated:

Minecraft: This does not deserve all the criticism it gets, don't be mad at the game because you can't figure out what to do with it. Do you even imagination?

Sonic games: More specifically the 3D ones, the have improved greatly since the 2D era, and I honestly can't see why people dislike them so much. Nice and fast paced levels, likeable characters, and a good sense of humor. It's also a franchise that isn't afraid to take risks, unlike a certain plumber we all know.

CoD: All I hear is the same complaints about this franchise, repetitive, annoying fans etc. The complaint about annoying kid fans is pretty over exaggerated, and it a game based on war, I'm not really sure how much variety you're expecting.

Destiny: All I really have to say about this one is: Have you all ever even played an MMO?

• Brohoof 1

Overrated: FF7. Seriously, no one can get over this game. Combat is awful, story is mediocre and Sephiroth is one of the worst villains ever. Long-haired pretty boy with a mommy complex.

Overhated: Sonic '06. That game is a hot MESS of awful, but it makes for great speedruns and a hilarious way to blow off steam with some friends.

• Brohoof 2

Gone Home is a magnificent game that doesn't deserve the hate some people give it. Dismissing it as a "walking simulator" and "not a game" completely misses everything that makes it such a compelling experience. I've never played a game like it before- it took what Dear Esther did and moved in wonderful new directions.

• Brohoof 1

Overrated - Bethesda titles like the Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3 plus New Vegas. I just can't play completely broken games and I have encountered a game breaking glitch in every single game I have played of theirs that causes me to restart the entire game.

Overhated - The Halo series. In the Halo community I would definitely consider Halo: Reach to be overhated specifically. Another one is Perfect Dark Zero. Loved that game so much and I personally enjoyed it more than the original which I also love.

Overhated: The Call of Duty series. While Ghosts was a terrible game, the series as a whole is quite fun and even when they do add new mechanics and modes and ideas like with Advanced Warfare, it still gets treated as the worst thing ever. Advanced Warfare is great so far despite its shortcomings.

Simulator games. There are some terrible simulators out there, but I have seen some games that are actually fantastic for their genre. Games like Train Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2 are very well done, especially Train Simulator. They are also really relaxing too in their right.

Overrated: Dark Souls. I honestly don't see what is so special about the series. Yeah, it is hard, but difficulty cannot carry a game on its own to me.

Five Night's at Freddy's. I like the atmosphere and the concept, but it relies way too much on cheap scares.

Those are just some I can think of right now.

• Brohoof 5

When I hear the term "Overhated" I immediately think of Minecraft. Why the heck are people so critical towards it? I mean come on! Your imagination is the limit here! Especially with all of these features.

Be it survival mode, map making, creation, or artwork you can't really go wrong. It's kind of like Lego, you can't really go wrong.One of the things I can think of that may turn people off is the graphics, which I can hardly stand by the way.

But even then you can get custom textures.

Edited by Count Crimson
  • Brohoof 1

Overhated: The Call of Duty series. While Ghosts was a terrible game, the series as a whole is quite fun and even when they do add new mechanics and modes and ideas like with Advanced Warfare, it still gets treated as the worst thing ever. Advanced Warfare is great so far despite its shortcomings.

Simulator games. There are some terrible simulators out there, but I have seen some games that are actually fantastic for their genre. Games like Train Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2 are very well done, especially Train Simulator. They are also really relaxing too in their right.

Overrated: Dark Souls. I honestly don't see what is so special about the series. Yeah, it is hard, but difficulty cannot carry a game on its own to me.

Five Night's at Freddy's. I like the atmosphere and the concept, but it relies way too much on cheap scares.

Those are just some I can think of right now.

I agree with you on a lot except the FNAF one. Its not really the jump scares that scare you, but its the atmosphere that keeps you on edge, Always feeling vulnerable, exposed, the sounds, the images, the mystery. The only time the jump scares happen is when you lose. Thats just my opinion 

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Overhated: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- really great game, I thought the controls were fine. That among other things get hated on here and there, but I liked the structure of the game personally and how different it was.

Kid Icarus Uprising is sort of a similar case- I mean, no one can really deny that that game is awesome, but the controls there are hated on as well- it's not so bad as long as you don't play at really long streches.

Overrated: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask/Link's Awakening- don't get me wrong, I actually love these games too, but I see their greatness blown out of proportion constantly. They are great games, but personally I don't think their the absolute best Zelda games... they have great emotional stories sure, but the gameplay matters more to me in Zelda games, and both have certainly been surpassed in gameplay in the 2D/3D spaces- Link's Awakening is a bit too easy and drags on after a while, and Majora's Mask doesn't play all that differently from Ocarina of Time and is shorter(though both LA and MM do have great sidequests). That's just my opinion though. :wacko:

Overhated: ET the Extraterrestrial: This game is fun. I enjoy playing it. Stop bitching about this game.

Wait, for the Atari? No way, bro. E.T. is the worst game ever made, no way I can let you off that easy. :huh:

Overrated: GTA V

Overhated: Titanfall

• Brohoof 1

Im not an expert but here it goes
Overrated: Mortal Kombat 2 (i dont like mortal kombat sagas but i readed it was the best and i saw the new ones or even the mortal kombat 3 and it looked a way better)
Overhated: Command and conquer Red Alert 3

Edited by RenaTheRagDoll

Overrated- Call of Duty series. Face it. I find shooting games unnecessary and boring.

Overhated- Hey you, Pikachu!. I loved that game since I first got it and still do. It was so cool because you could talk to Pikachu, though the mic never worked the best, but it was the N64, what do you expect. I heard that game got bad reviews and so many people hated on it. Eh, Idk. I just always loved it and found it fun and cute. 

That's fair, I had fun until the story got so bad I had to stop. I just cannot forgive that story, fun gameplay or no.

I feel like I'm the only one who actually cared about Other M's story.

(SPOILERS BELOW)

It hit me right in the feels when Adam sacrificed himself for Samus later in the game.

Edited by Shadowking58

Overrated: final fantasy 7

This game is amazing but it not nearly the bet in the series or the best rpg ever made like some say. I say this but I'm pretty sure I'm pumped about 200 hours into :P

Overhated: jade cocoon 2

This isn't the most popular game but to those who know it they generally hate it because it's so different from jade cocoon 1 and the level design is very repetitive but it has one of the most fun battle mechanics I've ever played and the development of your monsters is pretty darn fun!

Overrated - Bethesda titles like the Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3 plus New Vegas. I just can't play completely broken games and I have encountered a game breaking glitch in every single game I have played of theirs that causes me to restart the entire game.

Overhated - The Halo series. In the Halo community I would definitely consider Halo: Reach to be overhated specifically. Another one is Perfect Dark Zero. Loved that game so much and I personally enjoyed it more than the original which I also love.

Halo reach is hated!? I love that game more than any other online game and the campaign is fantastic! I would be crushed is someone told me yet hated that game. *hugs halo wallet*