Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Overhated/Overrated Games

A Black Circle

Overrated: FF7. Seriously, no one can get over this game. Combat is awful, story is mediocre and Sephiroth is one of the worst villains ever. Long-haired pretty boy with a mommy complex.

Overhated: Sonic '06. That game is a hot MESS of awful, but it makes for great speedruns and a hilarious way to blow off steam with some friends.

FF6 is where it's real

(I seriously think it may be the greatest video game ever)

and smb2 is my favorite 2d mario game

sunshine is my favorite 3d mario game (trend much?)

Overrated:

Five Nights at Freddy's (1&2)

They're just so fucking boring. Sorry for my French. I cannot understand why people find it enjoyable. Look left, look right, look at the cameras, repeat, repeat, repeat. How is that fun? And after the first few jumpscares, they don't even continue to scare you anymore. Every time I see a YouTuber title their video something a long the lines of "SCARIEST GAME EVER" I feel like punching that YouTuber in the face.

Fallout 3

Many people claim this to be the best of the Fallout series. PFFT.. It was an un-optimized piece or garbage that ran slower than a phone from the 90s playing Crysis 3. (That was a bit exaggerated but you get my point). The constant crashes were also an enormous pain too. While it was an interesting turn for the series, going into an open-world RPG. It was horribly done. Fortunately the followed release of Fallout: New Vegas helped correct some of the problems of 3.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

Wow, this bloody game.. It completely changed from Assassins to Pirates. Why? Oh right, Ubisoft got bored of Assassins but they needed a sequel to Assassin's Creed 3 so they named their Pirate game Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Nice Ubisoft, very nice. 

I felt like Black Flag was just overall boring. The cliche story of some guy wanting fortune, so he became a pirate and sailed to sea and looted every ship he saw. And then to make it so it can be called Assassin's Creed, they threw in this small little Assassin Order that relates barely ever to the story.

Overhated:

The Call of Duty Franchise

It does change every game. Stop saying "ERMAHGERD IZ JUST A FEW NEW PERKS N GUNS" No. Infinity Ward, Treyarch and now Sledgehammer put a lot of work into each game. And change as much as they can while still keeping the classic Call of Duty formulae. I applaud the creators of COD for not listening to the screams of uneducated haters who want COD to change into a racing game or some shit.

Titanfall

It tried.

That's it for now.

• Brohoof 1

The Call of Duty Franchise It does change every game. Stop saying "ERMAHGERD IZ JUST A FEW NEW PERKS N GUNS" No. Infinity Ward, Treyarch and now Sledgehammer put a lot of work into each game. And change as much as they can while still keeping the classic Call of Duty formulae. I applaud the creators of COD for not listening to the screams of uneducated haters who want COD to change into a racing game or some shit.  

CoD isn't hated for its game. People may pitch it like that but that's not it. Its all the dumb asses and trolls that play it that earned the hate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOktlIDN67I

I'm not saying they are ALL like that, but f*cking hell man there are so many of  them.

• Brohoof 1

Overhated - FFXIII. Maybe it wasn't what the fans wanted, and it was far too linear, but the story, characters and battle mechanics were great :3

Overrated - Assassin's Creed. You hold R1. You "stealthily" sprint up behind someone and kill them quietly. with everyone unaware by SHOVING YOUR HAND INTO THEIR BODY AND HOLDING THEIR MOUTH.

That's not stealthy :P

• Brohoof 1

Sonic 06. Yes, it's a bad game but, after all these years people still find stuff to talk about. Sonic 06 could've been good if Sega followed these steps.

Edited by CrazyMrLunaDash

Overhated: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

People who haven't played it yet are saying it's terrible, even if it isn't. It has solid gunplay, a good options menu, and the movement system makes CoD fun again. It's a fresh breath of air for a tired series.

Overrated: Star Citizen

The game isn't out yet. Calm your nipples, internet.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Overhated:

CoD series. All of them are grand, tight and satisfying games, if not a little hand holding.

The main reason so many hate on it, and me simply ignoring it, is because it's basically the same game released every year. Yes, it seriously lack innovation from game to game, but if someone picked up one of their games without any experience of the others, it would be a solid game, great even.

Nevertheless I think the hate is good, because it highlight the problem of innovation, despite the sale numbers indicate otherwise.

Overrated:

Generally EVERY new big game coming out. The gaming marked has evolved into a huge hype train. I know a lot of people getting super hyped about games, buying them and only playing for a bit before getting hyped for another one.

This should stop, not only does it create rushed titles, the quality of the actual game becomes less of a priority, and marketing much more so. Instead of being hyped for new games all of the time, go back to the amazing games that exists. They are cheaper, and with a PC all you need to do is crank those setting up, and they will look amazing.

Only exception I guess is Star Citizen which strives on hype to create an independent game, and tries to actually push hardware, instead of being stuck in 2013 hardware. *poke* *poke*  :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 1

Overhated: The Walking Dead Season 2. Many people hate it because of the stupid way characters die and how choices didn't really matter. But the story was awesome and had me emotionally invested the whole time.

But overrated? Fucking Final Fantasy. The series is garbage.

Edited by Mavis
  • Brohoof 1

Overrated.... Um, let's try Resident Evil 4! Don't understand why people love it, the controls sucked... Also the fact I hate having to be stationary and shoot, just can't stand it. It's probably just me because I'm used to running and gunning from COD so much, but asides from the mechanics, you get to take care of an NPC you can't get rid of! I just hate Resident Evil 4.

Also Super Smash Bros. Melee, everyone treats it as the god of the series, it's not. Super Smash Bros. For 3DS and Wii U are drastically better, And I started playing at Brawl.

Also, every MOBA to ever exist. Dota, League of Legends, Smite, etc. Those games can go burn in a fucking pit of fire, they're just stupid.

• Brohoof 1

Overated - Assassin's creed has not been good since 2 but like call of duty we will keep on buying the new one that comes out.......... 

Overhated - I don't really see enough games that get hated on excessively. 

Overrated.... Um, let's try Resident Evil 4! Don't understand why people love it, the controls sucked... Also the fact I hate having to be stationary and shoot, just can't stand it. It's probably just me because I'm used to running and gunning from COD so much, but asides from the mechanics, you get to take care of an NPC you can't get rid of! I just hate Resident Evil 4.

Also Super Smash Bros. Melee, everyone treats it as the god of the series, it's not. Super Smash Bros. For 3DS and Wii U are drastically better, And I started playing at Brawl.

Also, every MOBA to ever exist. Dota, League of Legends, Smite, etc. Those games can go burn in a fucking pit of fire, they're just stupid.

Resident evil 4 was one of my favorite games ever. But I do agree with that on MOBAs. I have no idea how they got so popular. Its sickening.

Overhated? Gone Home. I get why people don't like it, I just don't agree with them. It's fine if you don't like a certain style of game, but saying it's "not a game" is going a little too far in my opinion.

Overrated? That's a little tougher. I'd say Ocarina of Time. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it's not the bastion of perfection that people keep saying it is.

Overhated: The Walking Dead Season 2. Many people hate it because of the stupid way characters die and how choices didn't really matter. But the story was awesome and had me emotionally invested the whole time.

But overrated? Fucking Final Fantasy. The series is garbage.

Garbage? I'm curious as to where that point-of-view is coming from. It's one thing to say the series "receives too much love", but it's clearly not garbage. Fanboy's aside the series is generally considered good and immensely influential by gaming culture in general. I'm referring to the series as a whole, of course. I've been disappointed by the recent releases lately.

For Resident Evil 4, it's about perspective. Same with my pick for overrated, Ocarina of Time, it was a product of it's time. It's a different game than many players are used to nowadays, and for many of us who love RE4 it hearkens back to a time when games used to be very suspenseful and not as hand-holdy as they can be nowadays. That being said, I do believe RE4 stands the test of time better than OoT.

As for MOBA's, people wouldn't play them if they weren't fun. And you can't deny that they have had a huge on gaming culture, e-sports in particular. I don't like playing them myself, the barrier of entry is really high and I just don't like that type of game, but it's not like it's popularity is some sort of insane, inexplicable thing.

Edited by TenorSounds

For Resident Evil 4, it's about perspective. Same with my pick for overrated, Ocarina of Time, it was a product of it's time. It's a different game than many players are used to nowadays, and for many of us who love RE4 it hearkens back to a time when games used to be very suspenseful and not as hand-holdy as they can be nowadays. That being said, I do believe RE4 stands the test of time better than OoT.

As for MOBA's, people wouldn't play them if they weren't fun. And you can't deny that they have had a huge on gaming culture, e-sports in particular. I don't like playing them myself, the barrier of entry is really high and I just don't like that type of game, but it's not like it's popularity is some sort of insane, inexplicable thing.

Have an impact on gaming culture and E-Sports? Not really. I knew about professional competitions and the like before these games popped up and the gaming culture was big enough without them, they're just another game genre. As for Resident Evil 4, my biggest issue is the shooting mechanics, I mean we had GTA out which is a third person shooter, to an extent. When I tried playing it, no matter what, I'd feel trapped in one spot and helpless. Even in the earlier games I didn't feel that, cause of the fixed camera angles I could see around but with the over the shoulder third person view, I couldn't see my surroundings for crap. Also the fact it's a Resident Evil game, but no zombies just killed it for me, I was hugely disappointed with that, it's one of the reasons I love Resident Evil.

@ When my uncle at Thanksgiving asks me "What is DOTA? I keep hearing about that. Is it a sport or something?" that right there is enough to convince me it's having some sort of impact. Granted that's an anecdote, but I've heard similar stories. E-Sports are more part of the conversation of gaming culture than they've ever been, and I welcome the expansion of the medium. If MOBAs didn't exactly change how E-Sports inherently work, they've brought them to the forefront of the conversation and shown their merit. I'd say is a significant impact.

For RE4, I'd argue that feeling "trapped and helpless" was what they were going for. When I think of an overrated game, I think of one that has seemingly-obvious flaws that get overlooked for one reason or another, or that nostalgia paints as being better than it actually was. For RE4, it sounds like you just didn't like the type of game it was, which while fine doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is wearing Rose-colored glasses (which, again, is what I associate as "overrated"). I think that's a much more interesting conversation to have than just "games I don't like that are popular".

Edited by TenorSounds

@ When my uncle at Thanksgiving asks me "What is DOTA? I keep hearing about that. Is it a sport or something?" that right there is enough to convince me it's having some sort of impact. Granted that's an anecdote, but I've heard similar stories. E-Sports are more part of the conversation of gaming culture than they've ever been, and I welcome the expansion of the medium. If MOBAs didn't exactly change how E-Sports inherently work, they've brought them to the forefront of the conversation and shown their merit. I'd say is a significant impact.

For RE4, I'd argue that feeling "trapped and helpless" was what they were going for. When I think of an overrated game, I think of one that has seemingly-obvious flaws that get overlooked for one reason or another, or that nostalgia paints as being better than it actually was. For RE4, it sounds like you just didn't like the type of game it was, which while fine doesn't mean that everyone who likes it is wearing Rose-colored glasses (which, again, is what I associate as "overrated"). I think that's a much more interesting conversation to have than just "games I don't like that are popular".

That's the reason I think it's overrated, I don't see why it's so popular. I think RE4 gets its love from Nostalgia, seeing how it's an old game, and I recently played it in 2011. No one can really pull the nostalgia excuse on me because I play games extremely late. I never touched Ocarina of Time until 2008 and it became my favorite game ever. I found RE4 unplayable and uninteresting. It didn't have this sense of fear like Resident Evil 1 did (And I get scared easily), and that's what I like about Resident Evil: The fear and horror. Being trapped and helpless isn't really fear inducing, it's just annoying as hell, like "Well shit, there's no way out of this now, might as well kill myself and start over." Which I find a pain. I watched my dad play through it and didn't see a reason for me to play it, just seemed like a pointless game to a good series already /: Competitive gaming has usually been considered a sport to most, and MOBAs just Pushed it further, it didn't start it, and that's where I have a problem. What about the games that did start it?

That's the reason I think it's overrated, I don't see why it's so popular. I think RE4 gets its love from Nostalgia, seeing how it's an old game, and I recently played it in 2011. No one can really pull the nostalgia excuse on me because I play games extremely late. I never touched Ocarina of Time until 2008 and it became my favorite game ever. I found RE4 unplayable and uninteresting. It didn't have this sense of fear like Resident Evil 1 did (And I get scared easily), and that's what I like about Resident Evil: The fear and horror. Being trapped and helpless isn't really fear inducing, it's just annoying as hell, like "Well shit, there's no way out of this now, might as well kill myself and start over." Which I find a pain. I watched my dad play through it and didn't see a reason for me to play it, just seemed like a pointless game to a good series already /: Competitive gaming has usually been considered a sport to most, and MOBAs just Pushed it further, it didn't start it, and that's where I have a problem. What about the games that did start it?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on RE4 I suppose, but for the MOBAs I never said they started e-sports, just made the concept immensely more popular and accessible. It brought it out from the underground, so-to-speak. Is your aversion to MOBAs because of the gameplay, or is it something else?

Edited by TenorSounds

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on RE4 I suppose, but for the MOBAs I never said they started e-sports, just made the concept immensely more popular and accessible. It brought it out from the underground, so-to-speak. Is your aversion to MOBAs because of the gameplay, or is it something else?

Mainly because of Gameplay, there's just too much on the screen at once and I'm just like "What's this do? What's that? What's this for? *Dies.* Well crap." Just too much at once. I may just be used to simple HUDs but all MOBAs I've seen are just a clusterf*** to my eyes. And I just don't like the art style of most of them. /:

• 8 months later...

I'm bumping this up.

So, 3 months ago I bought a 3DS game that was released this year and that was said to be a GREAT game by a lot of people on the internet. I tried it, it was okay, finished the prologue, began chapter 1, travelled a bit then save and then never touch the game again until now. Then, I tried to buy Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and it needed space, so I deleted some games that I already finished then I stumble on this game and i was like "Meh, I'll never play this game anyway." I deleted it and never regret it. 

You wanna know what game this is?

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA : MAJORA'S MASK

Yes, I know the hype when it came out but when I played it, it just doesn't connect with me. It was the same with Spirit Tracks.

I'll just say it

Majora's Mask is overrated!

Overrated: All Final Fantasy games, Dota 2, Smite, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Destiny, Titanfall, Pokemon Red/Blue/Green, Sonic games, etc

Overhated: Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Minecraft, FNAF, Jaws Unleashed, Beyond Two Souls, Pokemon, Call of Duty, GTA, Legend of Spyro series, Skylanders, anything Nintendo puts out nowadays, etc

Edited by SquipyCheetah