Banner by ~ Zero

Anti-Bronies aiding in life of the Brony Fandom?

Green Precision

-I know by the title, it may seem a bit confusing to most of you. We receive hate, very disgusting and disturbing hate, from those that hate the fandom and us, that we call Anti-Bronies. However, lately I have been thinking about why I love the fandom so much myself.

-I believe I have grown to love and appreciate the fandom because of the community members' ability to bond, and agree to stand against such hate as the Anti-Bronies.

-Now imagine if the Anti-Bronies never existed, and we were just a fandom that grew like every other one did, without the hate along with it. What I believe would happen, is our fandom would have its downfall, or at least a great decrease in the number of its members.

-Why? Simply because no one would really have the drive to be a dedicated member of it. Yes, there are few who love the show, and have the drive because of the show, but some (or at least me) have a drive to be a part of this community for its members, and their ability to get creative and spread their love for the show, knowing that Anti-Bronies cant do anything to us.

I wrote in a recent post:

No Anti-Bronies = less motivation

less motivation = less art and creativity

less creativity = less noticeable

less noticeable = less members

less members = fandom downfall

(Or something along those lines)

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, and I wanted to get your opinion on the topic. I will have to admit, that I have grown a little obsessed with the fandom because of this issue, so what do you think?

• Brohoof 10

I think the hate is one force which can be used as constructive material. The hate we receive glues us tighter together as a group.

However the hate can beat you if you stand alone against it. It is much harder to defend hate if you are alone. That is why friends and community are important. Community and friends are there for you when you encounter hate. And what feelings you have towards your friends and community when they come and defend you when you are attacked? They become even closer to you and you are more into the community and your friendships grow stronger.

That is one reason why hate can be good, but that doesn't mean that hate is good. Hate needs always at least 2 sides and the hate between them throws them aside from eachother and tightens the separate groups because usually they defend themselves and that brings them closer together.

I think that hate brings this community closer together but we shouldn't hate our haters because hate is evil and unnecessary and unneeded force which shouldn't exist. 

• Brohoof 8

As disturbing as it could sound, I agree. Sure the Haters spread Hate, but that's what's keeping our spirit up. There is a saying that one of the best motivators are your foes. Without foes we would simply sit back and eventually die out. But with the Haters we have something that keeps us going. It gives us the motivation to spread Love and Friendship, because of the fact that Hate exists. Without Hate, Love would have no meaning since it has nothing to be compared to. Hate exists even in Equestria, which is why Love and Friendship is standing out in there.

I do hope that the Hate is kept at a controllable level, though I seriously wouldn't be surprised if they Hate like extremists.

However, if they physically conduct acts of violence, I'm ready to defend myself and my loved ones, which includes the fellow bronies and pegasisters, my friends, my family.

Edited by Solid Scorpion
  • Brohoof 5

-I know by the title, it may seem a bit confusing to most of you. We receive hate, very disgusting and disturbing hate, from those that hate the fandom and us, that we call Anti-Bronies. However, lately I have been thinking about why I love the fandom so much myself.

-I believe I have grown to love and appreciate the fandom because of the community members' ability to bond, and agree to stand against such hate as the Anti-Bronies.

-Now imagine if the Anti-Bronies never existed, and we were just a fandom that grew like every other one did, without the hate along with it. What I believe would happen, is our fandom would have its downfall, or at least a great decrease in the number of its members.

-Why? Simply because no one would really have the drive to be a dedicated member of it. Yes, there are few who love the show, and have the drive because of the show, but some (or at least me) have a drive to be a part of this community for its members, and their ability to get creative and spread their love for the show, knowing that Anti-Bronies cant do anything to us.

I wrote in a recent post:

No Anti-Bronies = less motivation

less motivation = less art and creativity

less creativity = less noticeable

less noticeable = less members

less members = fandom downfall

(Or something along those lines)

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, and I wanted to get your opinion on the topic. I will have to admit, that I have grown a little obsessed with the fandom because of this issue, so what do you think?

Adversity is essential to growth. Without challenge, we stagnate. As does the oyster turn an irritating grain of sand into a pearl. We take the Hurt and make something beautiful for all to enjoy.

• Brohoof 5

I'm with Andaasonsan, I'm here for the ponies.

I don't think the majority are here because of the Anti-Bronies.  There are many shows with big followings.  Those fans make music, art, write fan fics and they do it all because they love their show and their community not because others don't like them and their show.  I don't think the Brony community is any different.

• Brohoof 4

I'm sorry to say it, but this doesn't make any sense to me

For some reason, bronies think that the hate we get is what drives us to be a whole community. What you're saying, is that the bronies are all a bunch of trolls that did this to annoy the people who dislike MLP/bronies, and that's not the reason why so many people are in this fandom

• Brohoof 3

I'm sorry to say it, but this doesn't make any sense to me

For some reason, bronies think that the hate we get is what drives us to be a whole community. What you're saying, is that the bronies are all a bunch of trolls that did this to annoy the people who dislike MLP/bronies, and that's not the reason why so many people are in this fandom

That is not at all what I am saying. I never said we do this to react to the hate, I said the hate caused us to bond, and caused is to come together to stand strong against the insults and hate. We are not trolling anyone.

I would like there to be no haters. That way I would be able to go on a TF2 sever without worrying about being banned for liking ponies. -_-

The ignorance of it all, but we can't stop it, we can only defend ourselves, that is what I mean when we bond when we defend ourselves.

• Brohoof 1

As does the oyster turn an irritating grain of sand into a pearl. We take the Hurt and make something beautiful for all to enjoy.

Well said.

This is a very interesting and poignant topic.  Kudos for bringing it up, OP.  I have thought about this same thing many a time.  Like many have already said, I think that it is true in a strange way.  I love the show.  Absolutely.  But I wouldn't be quite so obsessive, and quite so active on these forums, if we were regarded the same way as any other "normal" fandom.  If we were the same as, say, Trekkies, in the eyes of the general public, then all of this wouldn't feel quite so special.  I love Star Trek and Star Wars and LOTR and Game of Thrones, but if I wear a t-shirt of one of those, nobody cares one bit.  But when I wear my Fluttershy shirt, heads turn.  I see the smiles on the faces of the young girls.  I see a young boy, no older than five, tug on his mother's shirt after seeing me, and say in an excited voice, "Mommy!  Mommy!  Did you see that man?  He was wearing Fluttershy!"  A young girl asks me why I'm wearing this shirt, and I tell her "because I love MLP, and it's a great show," and I instantly see the paradigm beginning to shift.  I can see it in her eyes--suddenly she begins to realize that people can like something unexpected, and maybe it's okay.  Perhaps she has learned a lesson today about not judging a book by its cover, and in spite of myself, I can't help but wonder if I've set her on a path towards tolerance and acceptance.  I see the confused and puzzled looks from the young teenage boys, and I smile to myself.  That's right, you saw what you saw.  And, if I look hard enough, I see the smiles on the faces of adults that they attempt to hide.  And once in awhile, I get a real life brohoof.  Honestly, it all thrills me.  I feel like I'm making some small shred of difference.  I feel like I'm helping, in some small way, to change some minds, inspire some people, and encourage acceptance of those who are different.  If I wore a Skyrim shirt (which I also love), it wouldn't change a damn thing.  There's no way around it, this is special because of the hate.  But that doesn't mean for one second that any of us actually thinks the hate is good.  It just makes us stronger, as many have said so far.

Here's something else noteworthy: this fandom has inspired me to do many things I was previously afraid of.  It has helped me in many ways, and that inspiration would not have been possible if we were completely accepted by all and thought of as normal in the eyes of the general public.

Here's an analogy for you: imagine a superhero story with no villains.  Imagine a Superman movie where all he does is lift heavy things for people.  If there's no one to fight, the superheroes would be a bit...disappointing.  But we always want them to continue fighting for justice, for the day when they won't need to fight anymore.

I dream of a time when there is no hate, when people can just like what they want to like without being judged.  But on that day, when we finally win the fight, I might, just might feel a small twinge of disappointment at not being able to stand up for what I believe in and make a difference.  But in the end, it is what we all want, of course.  We'll just have to find a new way to make a difference.

• Brohoof 1

That is not at all what I am saying. I never said we do this to react to the hate, I said the hate caused us to bond, and caused is to come together to stand strong against the insults and hate. 

Why would we need to stand against insults and hate like it's such a horrendous crime? It's logical that we get hate. Bronies like to think that they are victims in the whole picture (not saying you are like that) while it's their choice to say if they are brony to the world

For example, if you go on youtube with a pony picture, then you should know that you'll get a lot of hate. If you don't want the hate, then fine, but don't go on the net letting everybody know you're a brony, and then act like you're the victim in this story when they give you hate.

Edited by ponytheorist
  • Brohoof 1

Why would we need to stand against insults and hate like it's such a horrendous crime? It's logical that we get hate.

wait, wait, wait...

Are you saying that we deserve the hate given to us because we like something that they don't?

For example, if you go on youtube with a pony picture, then you should know that you'll get a lot of hate. If you don't want the hate, then fine, but don't go on the net letting everybody know you're a brony, and then act like you're the victim in this story when they give you hate.

Just because we will get hate, it doesn't mean we deserve it. As Canned Cream on YouTube said in his latest video, no one is at fault. We will like what we like, and they will hate us for showing our love everywhere, but that shouldn't mean that we should stop showing our love.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

wait, wait, wait...

Are you saying that we deserve the hate given to us because we like something that they don't?

No, I'm saying that when you know that what you do will cause a lot of hate (telling people you're a brony) and you do it anyway, and then complaining that you're the victim, is freaking b***sh*t. And I've seen this happen a lot on the internet.

On video's where there is nothing pony related, at the comments will always be a few bronies that say something about MLP. Then when people give them hate, they act like THEY are the victims! While they started talking about MLP at a non MLP related video

Then you deserve all the hate you get

Edited by ponytheorist
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know about uniting against anti-bronies, who I prefer to ignore, but MLP:FiM and its ridiculously lively adult fandom barely made a blip on my radar before this kid in an IRC chatroom I hang out in started constantly and obsessively ranting about how broneyz are faggin' up teh internoobz. It's ironic that such a 4chan-ish individual would end up proving Rule 19 true.

• Brohoof 1

No, I'm saying that when you know that what you do will cause a lot of hate (telling people you're a brony) and you do it anyway, and then complaining that you're the victim, is freaking b***sh*t. And I've seen this happen a lot on the internet

While I do agree that complaining is complete and utter crap, I still gotta argue that it doesn't mean you should keep quiet. It just means you gotta be strong and be able to handle the oncoming storm.

Edited by DJ Shy-3
  • Brohoof 1

Badges

Just because we will get hate, it doesn't mean we deserve it. As Canned Cream on YouTube said in his latest video, no one is at fault. We will like what we like, and they will hate us for showing our love everywhere, but that shouldn't mean that we should stop showing our love.

Why do we need to show our love everywhere? There is nothing wrong liking something, I agree. But when you're shoving it in other faces, and you get hate for it, then they shouldn't react so agressive back or think they are victims. 

They kinda brought it on themselves

While I do agree that complaining is complete and utter crap, I still gotta argue that it doesn't mean you should keep quiet. It just means you gotta be strong and be able to handle the oncoming storm.

On video's where there is nothing pony related, at the comments will always be a few bronies that say something about MLP. Then when people give them hate, they act like THEY are the victims! While they started talking about MLP at a non MLP related video

• Brohoof 1

Why do we need to show our love everywhere? There is nothing wrong liking something, I agree. But when you're shoving it in other faces, and you get hate for it, then they shouldn't react so aggressive back or think they are victims. 

They kinda brought it on themselves

I agree that people shouldn't be aggressive. that is all I have to say about that half of the post.

I still don't believe that people deserve hate. At least not at first. If they are fanning the flames, then they deserve it, but not if they say something and the next comment is something along the lines of "F*** off, brony! You are the scum of the earth!"

The only exception to this, in my opinion, though, is when bronies are referenced and almost all the comments are brony-hate comments, but even then they should only be commenting that it was just a reference.

Edited by DJ Shy-3
  • Brohoof 1

Badges

I agree that people shouldn't be aggressive. that is all I have to say about that half of the post.

I still don't believe that people deserve hate. At least not at first. If they are fanning the flames, then they deserve it, but not if they say something and the next comment is something along the lines of "F*** off, brony! You are the scum of the earth!"

The only exception to this, in my opinion, though, is when bronies are referenced and almost all the comments are brony-hate comments, but even then they should only be justifying that it was just a reference.

Well, I think we're on one line here. I think the same about this as you do. I'm just getting sick of some bronies that always go back into the victim role where they aren't victims 

• Brohoof 2

Well, I think we're on one line here. I think the same about this as you do. I'm just getting sick of some bronies that always go back into the victim role where they aren't victims 

So we are in agreement that people shouldn't complain, shouldn't fan the flames, and should only talk about ponies when appropriate?

If so, then I am glad to hear it, I'm glad we could see eye to eye and find a middleman to be in, and I wish you a good day, sir. *Tips fedora*

Edited by DJ Shy-3
  • Brohoof 2

Badges

Hate tends to be a polarizing thing which means that it further embeds people in whatever side they already are on in the conflict. That said, there is some truth to the idea that hate has brought this fanbase closer together. In other words, hate doesn't get people to reconsider but quite the opposite; it gets them to withdraw further inward.

BUT

Caution must be taken not to get too polarized. If that happens, people will become insular or willfully blind to anything and everything that does not conform to their ideas where it no longer comes down to what is relevant but rather coming down to whose side you are on. Pretty much what you see in SJWs.

So yeah, let's be really careful not to get too self-absorbed in response to receiving hate because that'll ultimately be to our detriment. So keep calm and brony peacefully and respectfully.

• Brohoof 1

Badges