Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people dislike The Living Tombstone?

ponytheorist

I had this question for some time now. There seem to be a fair amount of people that dislike music that The Living Tombstone makes. I was wondering why this is. Personally, I really enjoy  his music, so I don't really know why people think he makes bad music

• Brohoof 2

Anyone whoes popular enough is going to have plenty of people who don't like him because hes popular.

For me personally, I'm just not into the type of music he makes. Nothing against the guy himself.

• Brohoof 3

Okay, this was not really what I meant with the post. I mean that I have seen people who do like electronic kind of music, but dislike the music of TLT. I was more interested in why they dislike his music. If the structure doesn't feel good, if his singing puts people off, etc.

Okay, this was not really what I meant with the post. I mean that I have seen people who do like electronic kind of music, but dislike the music of TLT. I was more interested in why they dislike his music. If the structure doesn't feel good, if his singing puts people off, etc.

This question to deserves a similar answer to the one I gave before, people who like electronic music don't have to nessasarily like TLT's stuff even if it's electronic. I'm not much of a music expert but I'm sure the beat is fine and the singing is fine it's just that differant things appeal to differant people. So there is probably nothing technically wrong with TLT's stuff it's yet again just a matter of opinion.

• Brohoof 1

There are folks who feel because they do not like something they must bash it and anyone who likes said thing because they are right and the ones with the different opinion are wrong. 

You would think Bronies would be aware of this concept given that whole anti brony mess. Such ignorance can be found in our own fandom just as anywhere else. That is why The Living Tombstone (who if I understand correctly makes music and not much else) has people who hate him. Its just an immature and needlessly antagonistic way of saying "that kind of music is not my taste"

• Brohoof 4

Well you could ask the people who tell YOU that they don't like his music. That might be the best way of getting legit feedback on what they don't like. Personally I'm always a bit stunned that he's the most popular musician in the fandom. There's nothing he's specifically doing better than other brony musicians and yet he's got a discography of hit tracks.

What people often don't like:

Most popular but not most talented

Bad singing voice

Mostly a Remixer, not a lot of originals

Recycles samples and presets (like his snare)

Waffles on being part of the fandom (leaving, come back, leaves)

Many of his hits are collaborations

The weakest tracks on the Balloon Party albums

Encourages people to follow big name brony musicians while ignoring 95% of the other brony musicians

brony pop music

What people like

Has a recognizable modern style, has a big fanbase, every release is an event, popular in the edm fanbase.

Legitimately a nice guy who people can recognize in person. Not a drama hound like many musicians.

Has a good ear for a hit song.

Has been here for 3+ years and still has huge songs each year.

Has stuck around longer then most of his peers.

He's legitimately a really excellent musician

Honestly it just goes back to anytime you have someone who's gotten insane levels of popularity compared to everyone else they are going to start getting a backlash. I honestly see both the good and the bad things in the guy.....but at least he's not imploded like many other people in the fandom in a bad way. He still makes pony music occasionally and isn't just sponging off former glories after moving on like many of the people performing at bronycons (Alex, Silva, etc).

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 10

• 1 month later...

It's not really my thing.I like some electronic music but all of the brony music I've listened too has been,I don't know how to describe it,but obnoxious/chaotic.It usually somewhat feels like a random mashup called a song sometimes with lots of loud,jarring beats.Funnily enough,the only brony song I've found tolerable was the song playing in that Pinkie vid where she kills people.

Not hating on brony music,its just really not my thing,by all means its okay to like or dislike it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't dislike Tombstone. I actually used to like his music. And then "Discord" pretty much became the national anthem of the bronies and a lot of his music became overplayed for me. Eventually it all started to sound the same and now I just don't listen to his stuff anymore. 

dunno every popular brony always has someone who dislikes them

Really, anyone who's popular has someone out there who doesn't like them or what they do. 

• Brohoof 1

Personally, it varies whether or not I'll like a particular song by him due to his somewhat flat vocal affectation. For example, I found "Sister Hate" too emotionless and slow, whereas I thought his style worked excellently for "September":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0bdU0Jqd0M

He always has great backing riffs, though.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 2

I used to be into that Discord remix, but I can't bear listening to it anymore. I can't say I hate the guy, but his music doesn't sound good to me. On top of that, he's not really a good singer, and most of his tracks sound the same.

Edited by Blackened
  • Brohoof 3

A lot of people cite how they don't like electronic music, even though I'm the sort of person who sees that like saying "I don't like music which contains the electric guitar". I find The Living Tombstone's music hard to listen to because more often than not, it seems to fall into the realm of dubstep, which is something that can sometimes manage to be actively painful for me. I've noticed some chiptune bits here and there in his songs, but overall his work doesn't fall into any electronic genre that I like.

• Brohoof 3

Some people just aren't into the same music as others are into. Everyone has haters, it's normal. I don't think people hate the guy himself, just his music.

I personally love his music. Both his remixes and his original songs are great. His non pony related songs are great too.

• Brohoof 2