Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people dislike The Living Tombstone?

ponytheorist

I myself don't dislike him. Personally speaking, he seems to be a nice fellow and doesn't make a big deal out of his fame. I remember when he was at 2014 GalaCon. The Electronic Musicians panel (within the duration of which he made almost one complete track) was filled to the last seat 15 minutes before it started because everypony wanted to swoon over Tombstone, and the club night was well-visited, to say the least, because he was among the DJs. But he also joined the audience of the Traditional Musicians panel (instead of hanging around with the VIPs), and I met him when we lined up for questions.

Guess a great deal of the hatred against him simply comes from his popularity. Once your #HorseFame reaches a critical mass, you're accused of being a fame whore. See MandoPony. Besides, his fame has come to a point where it feeds back on itself. He's #HorseFamous for being so #HorseFamous. At least Mando jokes about it — about his own #HorseFame and Tombstone's by mimicking both Tombstone and Mic in "Horse Famous".

Being one of the most famous electronic producers in this fandom by far made him the #1 target for all those who don't like electronic music at all, especially the metalheads and the alternative rock crowd.

And being so popular, he's a natural target for hipsters. "If it's popular, it sucks automatically."

Whatever he makes largely sounds the same. Modern Talking Syndrome (the German 1980s pop duo, not the FL Studio plugin). Dunno whether that's all he can do, whether that's the quickest way, or whether he simply wanted to cultivate a "signature sound" for himself (at least he isn't really ripping off someone else).

Also, he got popular mostly by remixing existing and popular brony music. Ever since the Rolling Stone magazine featured his remix of "Discord" instead of Eurobeat's original, making it more popular than the original, it seemed like he was piggybacking on the fame of other brony musicians to the point where most newfoals believe that it was Eurobeat who remixed Tombstone. (Yeah, Eurobeat made loads of covers himself, but what really got him popular were "Luna" and "Discord".) I mean, Mic the Microphone was mobbed out of the bronydom because he was loudly accused of not making anything original of his own, always relying on somepony else.

Then there are probably new-coming or at least relatively unknown musicians and producers who might complain that Tombstone has only ever remixed big names.

Last but not least, he started making non-pony music. Non-pony fan music in particular. See MandoPony again and others. Can be a sure-fire death warrant for a brony musician.

(every paragraph corresponds to the same paragraph in order in the original post, btw)

I have not talked about the personal life of TLT because I never experienced him in person.

There's a saying somewhere maybe that fame corrupts you. You saw that MLP episode with Dashie getting a bunch of fame and starts being an a-hole about it, right? Some people may feel that way with TLT. He's gotten so much fame, he can't imagine himself without it. So, he tries his hardest to keep that fame. A la Dog of Wisdom remix(s).

*raises hand*

Nothing to say about this paragraph.

You got that right. It seems like for a lot of his music, at least to me, it is largely like any other EDM artist in the world. It's talent that got him here, not his style.

There are some times where TLT made "original" compositions, but he got to fame through Discord-esc tracks. I think this is another reason why people jump on the bandwagon of hating him (myself kinda included). He usually just does remixes of other tracks. TLT may be the next Mic.

That can be explained (with a little bit of hot sauce, if you know what I mean). He wants his fame forever, right? What's popular at the time, what would be in most people's heads? Let's capitalize on that by remixing it! Notice when the Dog of Wisdom phase of YouTub was happening, he made TWO remixes of it? Which right now both in total have accumulated over 4 million views? Same thing with FNAF. He made a whole bunch of songs for that when it was popular. Most people probably know him today by the FNAF songs. Heck, it's the first thing that comes up when you search him. "the living tombstone fnaf".

See: Above paragraph

So yeah, that's my thoughts. Feel free to be an SJW if you want and start a flame war.

I like the type of music he does, and there's worse out there than him, but I don't particularly like any of his tracks. The vocals are ok, but not great and the construction of the music is not all that original.

I wouldn't say he isn't good at what he does, but with so many professionals out there creating music you have to be better than an average pro to stand out. I've never playlisted or mixed a single one of his tracks (I have used 2 by Royalpony 5300in mixes without anyone noticing it was pony related) so the only reason for liking his stuff would be the MLP connection, and ponies don't improve the quality of your tracks

so the only reason for liking his stuff would be the MLP connection, and ponies don't improve the quality of your tracks

Bingo.

References don't make a parody/remix/fan-thing any better. At worst, it can ruin it because of how obnoxious it is.

*drowns in shoddy Minecraft parodies*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't dislike him, he makes some fantastic music.

Especially his FNaF songs, those are bops.

And aaa his latest Alastor song! A real bop as well.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Ocean Breeze said:

I don't dislike him, he makes some fantastic music.

Especially his FNaF songs, those are bops.

And aaa his latest Alastor song! A real bop as well.

He does songs after MLP? Interesting. I always like seeing where popular bronies end up.

I didn't know he was hated.

I think a lot of people don’t like over-popular people. I used to like his music but I’ve just moved on to different genres of music over the years. I will say that his Brony and FNAF songs were good, though. (Not “I Can’t Fix You”, though, that one was weird)

• Brohoof 1