Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you like before it was cool?

iceestarz

• 2 weeks later...

Fun. and The 1975. Then they blew up. We Are Young was featured on Glee and after like 10 years The 1975 finally became mainstream enough for my friends to know about the band. Like, i'm glad they're receiving recognition now but I miss the time where their songs weren't overplayed <_<

Back in 2012, I had an idea of taking pictures of my face in different places was interesting and I did it. Until recently, I found out that this became a trend called "selfies". Therefore, I took selfies before the trend started going crazy.

I liked Darude - Sandstorm before it was cool. No, really. At least before everyone started using it as a copypasta.

I guess Super Mario RPG counts for me, because it wasn't released in the UK 'til 2008. Back when I was younger, I played it on an emulator; wonder how many other people in the UK knew of the game before it was released on the VC?

Edited by Blackened

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My tea! And it was painful... /overused joke

Anyway, I don't really know... I suppose "computers" would be an adequate answer, especially considering I loved those things before YouTube, social networking sites, modern wed design and broadband.

I bet there are a few games here too that could fit the category (Mario Sunshine/Windwaker), but I'm not entirely sure.

Big edit: Minecraft. I don't really like it anymore though; the audience has shifted too much, the Microsoft deal happened, very little has changed and I've started tinkering with minetest. (Where you can write actual code for "Redstone")

Matt and Kim. As in the band. I love their music.

You can hear their music in quite a few commercials and video games.

Take that, corporate America, I beat you to the punch.

Still can't belive they're not that well known, considering how used some of their songs are. Think Darude-Sandstorm, in the way that nobody knows who made those songs. :okiedokielokie:

This is gonna make me sound like a grandma, but I liked both the Inuyasha and Naruto mangas before many people jumped on the bandwagon...

I still like Inuyasha, but now I can't stand Naruto! Too many dickheads in the cast!

• Brohoof 1

Accessing the Internet via a mobile phone. In 1999 I was pulling 9.6 kbps. Yes, that's a "k", not an "M".

Hell, that's before some of you were even born.

Now everyone does it. It's become so ubiquitous that most people probably no longer think of it as cool. (But they'd still decry a phone with no Internet access as being uncool, which I offer as proof that accessing the Internet via your mobile phone is indeed cool.) Thankfully we now achieve higher data speeds.

Edited by Vital Spark

I liked persona games back when you would ask for them at GameStop and the employees would look at you oddly. I remember asking for persona 3 when I was in middle school and the guy took 10 minutes to figure out what I was talking about.

I bought Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare pretty soon after it came out. Bought it on a whim, didn't know it would blow up like that. Does that count? 

I love the Disgaea series, still waiting for it to become cool though... It'll get there, give it time  :proud:

I was also in love with fighting games before their relatively recent resurgence. Not sure if that really counts, but hey, it's something.