Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How often do you swear/in front of who?

Octavia_Melody2

I've read articles about how people are prone to use different language in different social settings (code switching).

I try not to swear for the most part because I consider it wrong, but I do if I'm really angry or upset. And I'm a lot "cleaner" in front of my family than my friends, but I guess that's true for a lot of people.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not going to lie, I swear  basically any time I can get away with it. I use the f-word a lot more than I should according to my mother. (She has this thing about "ladies don't swear" and I'm like, "excuse me. I am not a lady, I am the queen and I can do what I want.") But, I am careful about where I do it. For example, I don't curse on the salesfloor at work (which is grounds to be fired), or whenever I'm around children, (not because I particularly care, because kids hear worse in school and can be taught what not to repeat, but some parents are weird about it). I don't typically curse in front of my mother, but my dad doesn't care so much.

So, I would say that I don't care if people swear in general, as long as they're not doing it in a derogatory/insulting way towards me or others or trying to do so during a serious argument, because it never helps the argument (it typically makes a person look like an immature child). But, I would also say that there are lines of courtesy, especially when it comes to being in public. Because, like I said, I'm more careful around children and I'm not loud about my swearing in public for that reason, (but I'm not a loud person in general).

whenever I'm around children, (not because I particularly care, because kids hear worse in school and can be taught what not to repeat, but some parents are weird about it

I never swear in front of my parents or family (except for rare moments of anger) because they find it completely unacceptable.

Although some of my friends have gotten mad at me a few times for telling dirty jokes within earshot of kids. I usually don't realize the kid is there and feel bad about it.

I mostly don't swear, unless it's with my close friends. Then I pretty much don't care about the amount of swears that flow out of my mouth.

I'm not really a cusser. However, I do it in front of my coworkers just because it gets a massive reaction out of them, as if somebody like me isn't supposed to cuss... =/

• Brohoof 1

I swear fairly regularly except for two situations:

1. At work in front of customers because it's unprofessional, though I don't cut it out completely and say some of the lighter ones like "damn" and "hell", but go all out when I'm with certain coworkers who swear more than I do.

2. In front of certain family members because if I do they won't shut up about watching my language.

It's important to keep a check on how often you swear because whether you agree or not some people will see it as crude or offensive and that can get you in more trouble than you bargain for, particularly in a work environment. Other than that though it's just another part of the language and it's so integrated into the way some of us speak that asking us to stop completely is like asking us to stop eating on Tuesdays. :lol:

Swearing has it's place though. It expresses emotions better and quicker than other words can. It also has far more weight to it than other words so it gets a point across.

Honestly, I wanna know how swear words became such an ugly thing. People tell you all the time not to say it cuz it's bad and all that but it's just another part of the language. We use slang all the time to talk about something without using the "proper terms" but no one gets in our faces about that.

On another note, whether you're saying "fuck" or "fudge" they mean the same thing so the fact that people get in trouble for one of those terms and not the other is kind of a mind boggler.

• Brohoof 4

Whenever my CLOSE friends call me, I usually start the conversation with some sort of curse word.  ^_^

But to be honest, I only swear around my friends, not around family and others.

I swear all the time, but I keep it to a minimum around my family/children.

I really see nothing wrong with it, though. It's a sound you make with your mouth, the only reason people get even remotely offended by it is because our culture has placed a taboo on those sounds.

• Brohoof 1

I swear like crazy whenever possible, even if I don't realize that I'm swearing. I swear in front of friends, family, strangers, and basically anyone except children under the age of 13 since they're fairly impressionable. Nothing wrong with swearing if you feel comfortable doing it.

• Brohoof 1

When i'm around family, children, or figures of authority (my professor, boss, etc.) i trim my vocabulary significantly. When i'm around friends or people who generally don't seem to mind swearing, i can get pretty expressive with my language.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I don't swear is when I'm at school,  work or when I'm around little kids.

I don't see anything wrong with swearing as long as they aren't being used to offend someone.  :muffins:

When in public I swear in Russian so no one (hopefully) understands anyways

When I'm with my parents I either say some slang swear or in Esperanto

That said, I don't swear all that often, I'm not too keen on it. Besides, I feel awkward saying half of them..

Edited by ARagY

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I swear a lot. In front of parents I use minimal words but If I'm out I will curse quite a lot. I don't find it bad though in my opinion.

Edited by TheUnseen

I swear quite a bit. If it wasn't for the rule on this forum to not use excessive explicit language you'd see me swearing in almost every post. Not because I want to, but because swearing is a good way to get people's attention since we consider it a slight taboo thing and because it can enforce your opinion in a stronger fashion.

Also I probably swear a lot since I live in Australia. In Australia we're known to generally swear in everyday conversations constantly. It's not that big of a thing here. (Well, atleast in my region, Sydney).

Edited by Metra
  • Brohoof 1

I've read articles about how people are prone to use different language in different social settings (code switching).

I try not to swear for the most part because I consider it wrong, but I do if I'm really angry or upset. And I'm a lot "cleaner" in front of my family than my friends, but I guess that's true for a lot of people.

For me, pretty much next to none...and when I do, it's usually accidental...

Truthfully I'm not perfect, but yeah..I just generally don't use profanity. As a Christian, I don't find it appealing.

When by myself, I swear like a sailor using the heaviest of all language.

Around peers I swear a lot still, but not enough to make others uncomfortable.

Around family I keep it pretty light maybe dropping "hell" and "damn" or "damn it to hell" lol

On the internet it is a mixed bit, playing games I will swear like no other, on forums like these I try to keep it light, all depends on the situation

While driving you wouldn't want to be near me as you would think that god himself would smite me for such language lol

However around children and those who I don't know well I never swear.

Though a lot of the time I end up swearing in German so I can get away with it lol

I swear all day errday, bitch. 

I have no reservations about swearing in front of my friends. I've never had a job where swearing was that big a deal. I won't swear around a customer or client, cuz I think it's bad form and I'm aware that some people hold some very strong views about swearing. And some people have kids that they don't want hearing bad words from. I realize that swearing in front of customers might alienate them and prevent them from coming back, so that's one qualm I guess I do have. Also, I never swear in a job interview for the same reasons. I've had prospective employers swear in conversation with me, but being in the position I'm in, I never feel comfortable with it. Cuz, let's face it, it's not gonna cost them the job if they swear in front of me. I don't swear around most of my family. Most of my family is Facebook friends with me and I don't tend to have a lot of reservations about swearing on my Facebook. So I know they probably are aware of how much I swear. But just out of respect, I won't swear in a dialogue with them over Facebook and certainly not in person. I'm fine with swearing around my brother because he doesn't care. I'm hesitant to swear around my mom, but knowing that she does, I sometimes swear casually around her. I never swear around my dad, cuz I know he doesn't like it.

I have sort of a weird thing where I get a bit squeamish about some certain words. There are certain everyday words that, unfortunately, don't have an equivalent term. I feel very awkward about referring to a dish as "delicious" or calling a painting "beautiful." I think my go-to words in these situations are very simple and blunt, like "good," "bad," "nice," etc. But I feel squeamish about some other words as well. To the point where I don't even really wanna write them right now. However, swear words like "ass" or "shit" actually make me feel more comfortable referring to these things. I think because these words have so many different meanings that it takes away some of the impact of what I'm talking about. Whereas other words mean that thing almost exclusively. I just wish that some of these words were more acceptable to say so that I could feel comfortable when I have to talk about these things. But at the end of the day, I guess it's my problem, not everyone else's. So I have to be the one to overcome it.

• Brohoof 2

I curse like a sailor at home and around friends  :please:

But, I know when and where to keep it at a minimum. (Such as in front of children, in school, on this site, etc.)