Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How often do you swear/in front of who?

Octavia_Melody2

I try to watch my language around kids. I don't know what they have and haven't learned, nor do I know how much their parents care about them saying even the softest of curses, and I don't want to be the one at fault when they start throwing them around.

I don't swear too often, usually when I'm alone, with friends, or when I'm far away enough from other people that they won't hear me.

Ever heard the expression "swear like a sailor"? Yeah, that's me... f-bombs all day long. They just pop out. Besides, words are just words, they're only "bad" in context, and I could easily make "tame" words far more insulting than swear words. It's all in how you use language that gives it its real meaning and power, not the words themselves.

^This.

It's how you use the swear that makes it bad, not the word itself. Unfortunately, most people don't realize this.

Ignoring comedic purposes, I really don't swear much in my native dialect. I tend to use ponified swears for a good deal ("Aw, crabapples" "Ponyfeathers" etc.) or words that I think are used elsewhere ("bloody good time", I think would be a swear in the UK? Don't quote me on that, of course :P).

I swear a bit everywhere, then, even if I use them nearly constantly. They're not "bad" so nobody complains (aside from ponyfeathers. People give me looks with that one)

I swear all the time. Nothing anger related, just kinda worked it's way into my vocabulary after a while, usually use it to emphasise things (How are you supposed to describe how hot it is on certain days without using the F word?) But around certain people like my parents and younger family I catch myself before I do it and do my best not to. My parents wouldn't mind, but I guess it's a respect thing

Edited by Merry Mothra

I don't usually swear, but when I do I'm usually alone and just somewhat talking to myself. And a little with my friends too for fun.

But if can I try to avoid it. 0-0

Eeeeveryone. And all the time. It's a habit, being Australian. That said, I do make a point not to swear around kids. They may learn to swear eventually, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I don't feel like being the one to start them on it.
Of course, I'm no fool and know whether or not it's fine to swear in certain scenarios or around certain people. But in casual settings I don't mind letting my cussing freely out. They're just words and if you get upset over a wayward swear, the problem doesn't lie in the person who said it.

I'm very comfortable with swearing. It always feels like you're holding yourself back if you don't and you just build up your rage and inhibitions to uncomfortable levels. I swear around friends and people I like but I can control myself professionally and tend not to swear with strangers in case I offend someone.

I swear a lot. Like, seriously, it's so normal for me to swear. It's part of our language, might as well use it! 'Cept for when my mom is around. She doesn't like it- My dad doesn't mind me accidentally saying f*ck when I drop something or something like that.

• 2 years later...

Im British, so swearing is such an everyday thing (even if you dont swear, you will certainly hear it a lot on the street). Of course i make an effort not to do so in formal meetings/at work or around kids. In fact Denz is the one who tells me off if one slips when we're near children.

Ive only recently started swearing around my parents and they have too. Since all their kids are now over 21 I guess its fine lol. Only really swear around then when talking about how stupid society is.

I try to make a conscious effort to not swear. Typically if you learn a language- English especially- from other people, the first words they want to teach you are swear words, but I've always thought that if you had to use a swear word, your vocabulary wasn't wide enough for the words that suited the situation more.

Personally I am against profanity, but it's so hard to avoid these days. If I do curse it's often silently and internally, and even then I try to stifle it. Out on the internet I used to (I repeat USED TO) swear freely but toned it down to **** < this type of censoring, and eventually pushed myself to stop altogether. The way I see it, vulgar curses are disgusting, unnecessary add-ons to stress the description of the situation or more often how someone feels. However, I do enjoy hearing profanity as a form of mere comedy and entertainment in general - Gordon Ramsay is a good example.

If I even slightly let the S- or F- word slip out in earshot of my parents I'd very likely get a butt-whooping, and be banned from the internet for good.

Edited by Shabb3r

Admittedly, I curse far too much in general. Particularly whenever I'm around my friends, I just have a tendency to swear beyond belief.:rarity:

When around adults, be it my parents, or a teacher, I do attempt to reign it in to a degree, but it still does tend to come out semi-frequently.:rarity:

As a teenager, it's just sort of a natural habit by this point.:grin:

I used to have a sailor’s mouth, that changed when I got to episode 3 or 4 of MLP. It’s kind of enforced the idea that I should be more G than PG-13/R. Its pretty hard for me to imagine how I was before that time, and that was just a few months ago. I guess the show made me more mature in a way.