Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does being older means being more free?

RainbowMau

That's sure as heck never been how I've looked at it.  25 is the cut-off year from young adult; at that point, you're an adult until 40.  There, you're an older man until 55.  At that point, you're a senior citizen.

As Wikipedia says:

A young adult, according to Erik Erikson's stages of human development, is generally a person in the age range of 20 to 40, whereas an adolescent is a person aging from 13 to 19,[1][2] although definitions and opinions vary. The young adult stage in human development precedes middle adulthood. A person in the middle adulthood stage ages from 41 to 64. In old age, a person is 65 years old or older.[3]

As Wikipedia says:

A young adult, according to Erik Erikson's stages of human development, is generally a person in the age range of 20 to 40, whereas an adolescent is a person aging from 13 to 19,[1][2] although definitions and opinions vary. The young adult stage in human development precedes middle adulthood. A person in the middle adulthood stage ages from 41 to 64. In old age, a person is 65 years old or older.[3]

That's wikipedia, for starters.  And secondly, that one doesn't have mid-adult, which mine does.  Different scale, different system, different results.

Either way, I am about twice as old as many of those that I hang out with, and it does feel odd to me at times, especially since many of them are attractive females who look like they should be legal.

(edited)

That's wikipedia, for starters.  And secondly, that one doesn't have mid-adult, which mine does.  Different scale, different system, different results.

Read again! It's at the end! Also how could young adulthood be that short? It's just 5 years! It makes no sense!

Edited by RainbowMau

He is a psychologist. I never really trusted those guys. Back where I come from, nobody would ever consider a 39 years old person as being a "young adult".

Besides, that is his theory, nothing more, really.

- I'm not allowed to hang out with young and joyful people anymore, but with older and boring ones cause I'm not developing anymore and if I do the opposite I'll be creepy

I mean... WHERE'S MY FREEDOM???

Hey, just a minute here I resemble that remark. I am older, but I sincerely hope I am not boring. I may be 52 but that doesn't mean I act like an old phart. 

AS for freedoms, I think everyone is under the microscope here. As people have high expectations for everyone at one time or another. Or why do you think people go through mid-life crisis's in their lives. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

He is a psychologist. I never really trusted those guys. Back where I come from, nobody would ever consider a 39 years old person as being a "young adult".

Besides, that is his theory, nothing more, really.

Well, that' probably too much, but 35 is the limit and 25 sounds too soon to me, where I live you're legally considered a young person until 35.

Edited by RainbowMau

Read again! It's at the end! Also how could young adulthood be that short? It's just 5 years! It makes no sense!

I did read it.  Young adulthood is a bridge in between the childhood/teen years and adulthood.  ...and it's 7 years, not 5.

No you didn't, you said it didn't have the middle-adult thing and it was clearly at the end.

Ah, yes.  I see what you mean now.  My apologies; there was a misunderstanding with terminology (which happens when one has a baby pulling on their arm to show them orange juice).  What I meant to say is that my scale also has an adult level.  Yours has three, mine has 4.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku

-Bills

-Job

-Collage Debt

-Car Payments

-Working none stop

-More bills!

Yah being a adult is not easy but at the same time I can come and go as please

Watch any movie I want

Have a pet of my choosing or how many

Watch cartoons or anime as long as I want and not share my computer

So it comes with a price in being a adult and making choices of the

adult world but its up to you if you want to loose the wonderment of

a child and stop dreaming...

Here's the trade off-

As a kid, you feel you have no control over your life. Some kids may claim that they feel "imprisoned by their parents rules because they can't do what they want". Although quite the contrary, you live comfortably and have others supplying comfort for you. A roof over your head, meals, clothes, and all household bills are magically covered.

As an adult, you have to fend for these things, yourself. You have the freedom to shape your own lifestyle, and you have to follow the norms and guidelines that require you to be successful at the path you've taken. 

What exactly that means? All depends on what covers your bills. 

And don't get why people think there's a age limit on conventions, there will never be a age limit on conventions~ unless people are just being prudish and mean for the sake of trying to run people out of a fandom, which I have seen happen before

Listen to the choir preach! Cereal though, you don't have to conform to any guidelines except the ones you place onto yourself. And people will have something to say but hey, they always have something to say. The beauty of doing your own thang is just that! You're doing your own thang! And those people will just end up forgetting about you and move on to the next individual to judge anyway.

The freedom thing though, absolutely agree about losing it. But you gain some as well so it's a pro and con tier list. I'd say you make the best of it that you can cause really life is too short to try and please everyone without paying attention to yourself.

The exceptions are work enviroments cause maaaaaan ruuuuules everywhere, unless you have a lax boss. I certainly don't give a hoot about what people think about what i wear or what i like in public even though im nervous out there i came to realize, it really doesn't matter. They can't change me with all that hate just like I (probably) wouldn't change them with some discussion on something they like that i don't.

Paying those bills tho...other than that. I'm on the more freedom as an adult team.

Edited by oPinkeroo4Uo
  • Brohoof 1

For the most part it does, aside from having to get a job and stuff like that. You can choose what you want to do, go your own way without having people tell you where or what you should be doing.

Freedom is nice.

• Brohoof 1

- Dance classes are not for people my age anymore (or at least pop ones)

If you cant seem to find any classes for people at your age try to find a group of a some kind. You will learn a ton of new stuff and get to know other people much faster than in a normal class. I used to be in a group called DCA - Street kids, we did shows and modeling to other companies. It was much more fun than in a normal dance class.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's sure as heck never been how I've looked at it.  25 is the cut-off year from young adult; at that point, you're an adult until 40.  There, you're an older man until 55.  At that point, you're a senior citizen.

Are you telling me that I'm in the same stage than a 50-year old?

Personally, I don't feel that being older necessarily means you have more freedom. Of course, as you get older, your freedom from your parents is a big deal, but once your parents give you freedom, society puts even more oppressive pressures on you than you had before. I think it all really depends on what you count as freedom. I think for the most part, being an adult is so restrictive because you have to do things that you might not want to do just because it's what society or a job or a partner expects from you. I know a lot of people who have to hide parts of their personality just to keep their jobs or friends and that's way more restricting. I've found adults to be more judgmental than children as well. This definitely factors into freedom too. If you want to wear pony clothes as a kid, most kids don't care, when they're young. As they get older, kids tend to get meaner, thus limiting the freedom of other children. When these children become adults it's just as bad, if not worse. 

HOWEVER. If you're like me, you don't give a shit about anything and do what you want anyway, so this lack of freedom isn't really a problem. 

• Brohoof 2

Of course, people are expected to do certain things and behave in a certain way from the moment they're born.

Maybe it boils down to this:

Adults have freedom of choice,

children have freedom of mind.

Adults aren't free from their demons like kids are.

You have work to dedicate to.

Bills you have to pay.

You may become a father/mother which you'll have to give your time to care for the child.

There are many things you will have to do in the future. But on tge plus side that makes your time more worthwhile. Instead of something you want to skip through

This is interesting.

@Age groups discussion: according to classes I've taken, your brain finishes maturing at 25.  Meaning adulthood starts around then.  Really though, it depends on context.  Marketing, sexual maturity, identity integration theory, and brain maturation will all have different models.  You know, like how a tomato is a fruit to science but a vegetable to chefs.

Anyway, several people have said it better than I can, but you lose some freedoms while gaining others.  Ultimately, you control your own mind and how free you believe yourself to be.  There are barriers to freedom everywhere and it all depends on your ability and resources to ignore or overcome them.

As to society telling you how to be~  Eminem says it best:

Don't let 'em say you ain't beautiful
Oh they can all get f*****
Just stay true to you

Really.  It is so not worth not being yourself.

You are free in some ways and constricted in others

Yeah you don't have to go to work, but you also don't have to have a roof and food. Oh you like having a roof and food? Well you should think about going to work then.

Edited by Buck Testa

Uh, heck to the no.

When you're older, you are more responsible for things. Jobs, money, bills, and etc. You have to work for the money, then use the money for bills and food, then taxes, then other things. Pretty much repeats itself. I mean, there are some more "freedom" in being adults, because you get to make your own choices and go wherever you please, but there is not much freedom. 

You don't get your house paid for and you don't get money for sitting on the couch and watching TV. I mean, if you get a career that you LOVE, then I am sure that's actually worth it :) I cannot wait (hopefully) work somehow with Nintendo. I love drawing characters and stuff, and would love to design characters. But, College is first. And College is a challenge :/