Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you care what others think?

Haruhi-chan

Oh... just a little bit.

There's not one day, not one day that I can remember that goes by where I haven't regretted something I said to somebody, or hoped that I didn't offend or bother them, or wished that I said something more interesting so that the person I'm talking to could be entertained. 

I care so much about what other people think about me.

Granted, I also have self esteem. I think I'm smart, funny, and most of all I can totally lay flat on my stomach doing the butterfly stretch. But I suppose I'm always trying to be the best thing, a "good person" by my defintion. A good person improves the lives of others... a good person is humble... a good person is willing to learn from those around them...

But a good person is also supposed to be self assured, that's the assuredness of knowing that you're doing it right...

A good person doesn't need praise, and being needy of praise is annoying...

A good person is self reliant...

Enneagram type 6w7, the Katy Perry song.

• Brohoof 1

There's not one day, not one day that I can remember that goes by where I haven't regretted something I said to somebody, or hoped that I didn't offend or bother them, or wished that I said something more interesting so that the person I'm talking to could be entertained. 

I care so much about what other people think about me.

Granted, I also have self esteem. I think I'm smart, funny, and most of all I can totally lay flat on my stomach doing the butterfly stretch. But I suppose I'm always trying to be the best thing, a "good person" by my definition. A good person improves the lives of others... a good person is humble... a good person is willing to learn from those around them...

But a good person is also supposed to be self assured, that's the assuredness of knowing that you're doing it right...

A good person doesn't need praise, and being needy of praise is annoying...

A good person is self reliant...

I hope I cause no offense with this, but I don't really like your definition of what a "good person" is. It's so limiting, and there's so few people who fit under that definition that it'd be impossible to expect yourself to.

There are some ideals of it that I agree with. A "good person" should be one who is open to learning, and willing to correct their behavior if it's problematic. A "good person" should be one who ultimately has the best intentions at heart. But...

There is nobody on this earth who is infallible. There's also never a time when someone is always confident in all areas, nobody who is constantly humble, nobody who is constantly self reliant, nobody who doesn't need praise or reassurance every once in a while. Let me hazard a guess - Applejack is your favorite character, isn't she? What if I told you that she wouldn't be anywhere without her family and her friends? Sure, she is pretty self reliant, but how do you think she got that way? Even then, some of that self reliance resulted in stubbornness, that led to her trying to reject Twilight's advances to help, only for her to inevitably realize that she does actually need it. She's made mistakes that have gotten her friends in trouble, and she has ultimately come out a better person for it.

Let me try a different approach here. Every single one of us is a WIP. That's because it's impossible for us to be perfect, and we should always be striving to be the best that we can currently be. There are some issues I have that I'm going to have to be dealing with my entire life. You'll be the same. But would I argue that either of us is less of a "good person" for it? Would I dare to suggest that, because we want attention, because we want to be loved, because we sometimes have times when we need help, that that means that we aren't ultimately good? We will always have places that we're weak in. That's what makes all of us human; that's what makes the Mane Six relatable, because they have the same kinds of struggles.

You're your harshest critic. Think of it this way: if your friends didn't meet those standards that you set on what a "good person" is, would you think of them as...well, not good? No, right? So why do you think of yourself that way?

• Brohoof 5

Depends.

If it's my opinion on something, generally no. The only times when I don't speak about my opinion on something is for the respect of others.

If it's my actions, yes. I don't want to be a jerk around others, so I let people call me out when I'm wrong so I'm willing to improve.

thats a difficult question. on some parts you could say no, i mean i dont mind doing crazy embarrassing things in public, (mostly becuase i grew up with at least 3+ little kids, so i kind of built up an immunity to being embarrassed.) but when i was a kid i got really embarrassed in a painful personal way which kinda threw me outta whack... heck i dont know.

I suppose I do but...I don't let it get to me. People should care what others think...at least from your family and friends standpoints, anyway. Closing your mind completely off could implicate problems. But if people cannot see the best qualities in you, that does not mean you have to change. The world may have a deluge of complaints/opinions/what-have-yous - but no one's perfect, you only have to live up to your own expectations - changing for the better if you need to. 

It depends... if people were saying things about me ten I don't really care, but say it's like something important or emotional or something that falls in between those lines then I care what they have to say.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually don't care very much in public. I'm frequently a loner at heart so I've built up a resistance to others' "eye-balling" me and wondering who I am. Through experience, I can make small assumptions as to what they are thinking. Staring is basically an intimidation measure for animals to see if they're invading territory or just admiring them in general. Most stares I get are rude stares, and when they do, I can count down the time it takes for them to make an immature move, like throwing stuff at me. The typicality of society is quite predictable with me. 

I do care what others think in terms of, fx. getting a job, my college, my friends etc.

To quote a great fictional human being "I recognize the council has made a decision, but considering how it is a stupid a*ss decision I've elected to ignore it"

Consider people's opinions but don't let them rule over you

Edited by Krazy Stargazer

I care just a bit too much. Especially if I get the impression that someone just flat out doesn't like me. And if there is just one thing that I'm good at, it's having people not like me. =(

Ha!

Of course I don't care what people think!

My internal dialog: Way to make an impression that you're a strong minded, free thinking individual! No one will think you have insecurities now.

Cynicism? Screw all the Hobbes misanthropy and Lovecraftian rejection of human agency! Thousands of years from now, when we've projected our individual whims across star systems, I'm going to come back to Earth just to spit on both of their graves and tell them they were dead wrong!

:okiedokielokie: Don't you dare spit on Lovecraft's grave...

• Brohoof 2

I care a LOT what others think. Might have something to do with the fact that peer rankings and reviews factor heavily into my aptitude grade and thus impact my future opportunities and options post graduation and over the summers a great deal.

I don't really care what people (negatively) think of me by that I mean people considering me strange ect this I will more or less block out considering I prefer to go freely without negative words to take me down

but if it is in a kind manner or if  they feel to share a opinion I would gladly come and listen.

Guess I do, sometimes. I take their opinions into consideration on various important subjects. But stuff like what I wear, what I watch, and how I do things, honestly, I couldn't give less sh*ts.

Eh, who am I kidding. I don't care what anyone thinks! I do things my way. Unless, of course, they could cause damage to something, or more importantly, someone. I won't forgive myself if that happened after that pencil incident... *Shudders*

When I was younger my life was all about what others would think of me, but now its only to a certain extent.

I feel lucky that I met some people who told and convinced me to accept myself as I am, and not force something on myself just because it would satisfy someone else. :)

Depends on the person. For most people I care very little. Especially complete strangers.

But if it matters what certain people think of me I would try to make a good impression. I would still be very open about my opnions.