Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First Jobs?

halcyonharlot

• 8 years later...
(edited)

The first real, W2, government taxes, "you are officially employed according to the IRS", job I had was a part time groundskeeper/maintenanceman at a local organization. They had it so on certain days of the week you were to do certain things(I don't know why, but whatever) and the only times I was scheduled to work was on the "water lawn", "mow lawn", and "monitor" days so within the first half hour I was basically done. That left another 7-8 hours of trying to find something to do, as I was the only one there 99% of the time. 

Seeing the 0-full speed of the various golf carts and mowers they had were interesting. I was complemented on not running the batteries dead, as the other ones did apparently(if you drive a golf cart slow, it only runs off the electric motor or it doesn't run it fast enough to charge). The main thing that irked me was they had a couple of Farmall tractors for maintenance use but I wasn't allowed to use them because their insurance "wouldn't cover anything over 20 horsepower" yet the lawnmower was 25, not to mention that we own a few, also the problem of one would say "do this" and then another would come along and say "why are you doing that? Do that instead". It wasn't bad for $20 an hour though. 

I've done many odd jobs before and after that one though, along with farm.

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 1

My first job is an office job at a university school Athletic dept. I was around 14-15 years old. At first, the staffs  and my boss really treat me like shit and have me do most of the work like filings, computer, accountants, and running errands for them. While I had learned a lot about work ethics and discipline, however, it did NOT taught me how to stand up for myself like, not letting workers step over me and I think this job is what made me who I am still today. A workaholic.  I have to learn that the hard way throughout most of my working experiences, by trying not to have workers taking advantage over me and trying not to overwork myself. I have gone through different other jobs after this first job, and since then,  I never stop working. It's a struggle since while I need to work more to earn more, I have to be caution at the same time making sure workers don't take a advantage of me.   I do sometime failed to see that because I was too fixed on working/making money and not caring about my own well being. However I have gotten better on standing up for myself if there's something that I see is poor ethic or if I feel I'm being treated unfairly. 

(edited)

First job Burger King, staff member, don't flip burger much there you put some through the grill and put them on the bun, fry chips, I do some cleaning of course. And mostly the one help out the new staff members. It okay but paid weekly unlike my last job which is better and give good hoilday and don' t bother you on your day off like bring you to work when someone at work need to go home or something, it annoying happen to me sometime guess they go for me the most. Last I was angry, remeber phone to get to work cos same guy cut himself instread of using first aid plaster and carry on, he go home  and rang me in and last I got phone in to work on my day off well the guy cut himself, I just arrived home from church and was knackered and they rang I was angry. Thought I work there long without being boss but Burger King got closed down, due to Coach company stugbgling with bill (Burger King in Coach Station). My jobs last a year and 5 months, It took a year and four months til landed a job which last 14 years with monthy pay and good holiday.

I would of said first job was in College Carteen but I don't think of that as a real job and didn't get paid. 

Edited by Sunny Man and Izzy Man

My first job was artist for an awning company, doing architectural renderings of clients’ businesses with new awnings added, to give them an idea what they would look like. The job required me to drive to the business locations, take pictures and use them as reference for the artwork I would create. Unfortunately I didn’t have my driver’s license yet so I had to have my parents drive me all over town, which was no fun, so I didn’t stay with the job for long.

• Brohoof 1

First officially employed job I had was a leasing agent. Paid poorly due to commissions. Later got terminated due to some douches above my boss meddling, but got reinstated weeks later due to pity for not finding a job. I later got a part time job months later. Ironically, that crappy job let me meet a couple of people, and with my former boss’ help, set me up to a job with twice the wage of my current job at the time. It’s been over 2 years since, and I’m still employed there

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Funny story, I got my first job like a week after this topic was created. Interesting that I hadn't posted that before.

My first job was an overnight grocery stocker. Overall, it didn't leave a wonderful impression on me.

I, of course, couldn't stand the overnight shift. I could never get used to sleeping during the day and thus I lost a lot of sleep in the period of time I worked that job. (which was roughly four years).

However, I was quite good at it. It was my very first job and I had this idea that I had to work the very hardest I could so I wouldn't get let go. The problem with that kind of job? If you work hard, you don't get rewarded. You just get more work piled on you than other employees. Your hardest work then becomes the bare minimum expected out of you... And it becomes exhausting and frustrating.

Working that job turned me into a total grouch. I'm still feeling the effects years later.

I was a dishwasher and cleaner at a restaurant. I had nice co-workers, but I didn't really like the job all that much. :please:

• 3 weeks later...

First job I had I worked through a temp agency, meaning that the job was only temporary. I worked about a month, and here's why - it was in a warehouse without air conditioning in the middle of summer, very dusty, heavy lifting and tons of fast walking, and very loud. I had severe headaches every single day I worked there and severe nosebleeds (one of them I had to go to the breakroom because I was starting to get dizzy). The physical labor was rough on me as well since I was lifting boxes that could exceed 100 lbs, and walking very fast for several miles each day up and down stairs as well. I didn't quit the job because of the physical labor, it was the loud noises, my headaches, and my nosebleeds that made me worry that it would negatively affect my health.

• 3 months later...

My first job was work experience at a camera store when I was 14.

Fondest memory I had was when they made me arrange the camera bag display. The sub manager and one of the regular employees weren't really happy with the arrangement I did and wanted me to put things back into the previous arrangement. Then suddenly, the actual owner of the store appears out of nowhere and says mine is better than the previous arrangement and tells them to keep it.

*smug mode engaged* :proud: