Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Thoughts and opinions on CCleaner?

Zygen

3 users have voted

1. 1. Do you/would you use CCleaner?

• No, it's to dangerous
    • Yes, it is a helpful program

So, I decided to make what feels like my thousandth thread regarding something to do with computers, which makes me realize how much I really don't know when it comes to computers, even if I know a bit more than the average joe.

Anyways, today's topic is on CCleaner! For those of you who aren't aware, CCleaner is to my understanding, a program that goes through your registry and deletes errors and useless junk left in your registry and stuff like that.

But as someone who isn't super techsavy or anything, I don't really know the in depth stuff when it comes to CCleaner, and i've heard from others that it can actually mess up your computer. 

And since again, I don't really know the ins and outs of the program or anything, i really can't say I know either way.

So i decided to ask some more knowledgeable people on here about what they think about CCleaner, and if it's a program you use, or would use, or you believe is not a good program to use, and will cause more issues than anything.

Feel free to explain yourself, but keep in mind I am not highly knowledgeable when it comes to this, so there is only a certain amount I may understand.

Your free to just really discuss Ccleaner in general if you wish.

So let the discussion begin!

• Brohoof 1

I'd get it as it's a nice little tool that helps clean out your internet files for you and it is safe for use.

I see, I was just hesitant, because someone had told me something about how it could possibly mess up your registry somehow, and that it didn't backup your registry when it was suppose to or something.

• Brohoof 1

I see, I was just hesitant, because someone had told me something about how it could possibly mess up your registry somehow, and that it didn't backup your registry when it was suppose to or something.

I normally don't touch my registry keys, even with CCcleaner. I don't know much about it myself other than it does it's job of cleaning the internet files I have well. You'll probably need to hear from Daring and others before you should commit to it I'd say.

• Brohoof 1

There's always some risk involved with editing the registry, but here's my 2c, I've used it for years without issues. Just go through the checklist of items it removes before you actually remove stuff. Default settings are fairy safe.

• Brohoof 2

I normally don't touch my registry keys, even with CCcleaner. I don't know much about it myself other than it does it's job of cleaning the internet files I have well. You'll probably need to hear from Daring and others before you should commit to it I'd say.

Yeah, It does delete internet files too, which I imagine can't cause many problems really.

There's always some risk involved with editing the registry, but here's my 2c, I've used it for years without issues. Just go through the checklist of items it removes before you actually remove stuff. Default settings are fairy safe.

I've used it on my old computer some, but I have a new computer, and while I had no issues on the old one, i don't want to mess up this computer by doing something that's going to screw me over.

I guess there's always the chance of risk though, but yeah. Only thing with going through the list of deleted stuff is that I honestly don't know a ton about registry in general and thus I don't really know if seeing the actual files would help me that much.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, It does delete internet files too, which I imagine can't cause many problems really.

I've used it on my old computer some, but I have a new computer, and while I had no issues on the old one, i don't want to mess up this computer by doing something that's going to screw me over.

I guess there's always the chance of risk though, but yeah. Only thing with going through the list of deleted stuff is that I honestly don't know a ton about registry in general and thus I don't really know if seeing the actual files would help me that much.

In that case, just do what Nuke87654 does and use it to clear out your cache and temp files. That's where the bulk of disk space is wasted anyway, and most of the registry entries it clears are relatively innocuous, so leaving them in the registry is unlikely to cause any problems aside from costing you precious kilobytes of disk space (the horror...)
  • Brohoof 1

I never use the registry section, just the disk cleanup. Too much a risk it will break something with no real world gain to your performance. 

Source: Computer Tech

• Brohoof 1

In that case, just do what Nuke87654 does and use it to clear out your cache and temp files. That's where the bulk of disk space is wasted anyway, and most of the registry entries it clears are relatively innocuous, so leaving them in the registry is unlikely to cause any problems aside from costing you precious kilobytes of disk space (the horror...)

Yeah, I guess your probably right, i can't say that the registry errors have ever bothered me honestly. I just kinda did them because it seemed like it was a good thing to do. So I might just stick to using it for internet files cleaning and what not.

CCleaner is effective. Just be sure you know exactly what you are deleting. If you use it for full maintenance of your computer and you simply click on "delete all", you will damage your OS.

I suppose that goes with a lot of stuff, but yeah, good point.

I never use the registry section, just the disk cleanup. Too much a risk it will break something with no real world gain to your performance. 

Source: Computer Tech

Probably very much so true, especially if a computer tech said that.

I've used CCleaner to clean the registry many times and I've had no problems.

I have used it as i said on my old computer to clean the registry, and never came across any issues, but I also don't think it did a lot to help either.

• Brohoof 2

While it might not cause problems, there is no real need to clean out the registry unless you are removing/fixing malicious entries. 

Should have said "I am a computer tech" so you don't think I am quoting someone else. 

• Brohoof 1

While it might not cause problems, there is no real need to clean out the registry unless you are removing/fixing malicious entries. 

Should have said "I am a computer tech" so you don't think I am quoting someone else. 

Yeah, I guess that's true.

And yeah, I kinda thought you were quoting a computer tech ;p, but regardless, even better that you are.

I think i'm going to just end up going with not using the registry deleting portion, but using the internet files and that stuff personally.