Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you could only pick one episode to show a non-brony...

WakkaMole33

I'd pick the discord episode. It's the one episode close enough to season 1 that things don't spoil much, it reintroduces the elements, it has the one villain that in first impressions was really good, and it's overall just an entertaining episode.

Though, if I were to show an episode that wasn't specific to the story, it'd be...something season 4 probably! :3

I think that the episode should be one without a titular mane pony, given this is a character based show, and one that introduces them all well and allows the viewer to get a good enough impression of them to start to understand them better. That's why episodes like "Sonic Rainboom" and "Dragonshy" among others that exploit flaws as well as make one of the mane 6 look bad shouldn't be used as an introductory episode. First impressions mean a lot, and a bad first impression only leads to a negative opinion.

I think it should be the first episode, to be honest, as it introduces the characters well. I'm sure there's better out there, though. Thing is, I'd love to say "The Best Night Ever" due to the fact it has such excellent characterization as well as a good amount of screen time for each mane 6 pony, but the problem with that is that is it's the last episode in an arc, and you'd have to really watch "Ticket Master" and "Suited for Success" to get it, and yeahhh...might create a bit of a problem understanding it, and I'm under the impression that forcing someone to sit down and watch 3 episodes isn't going to come off well :rarity:

Either that or toss them in with "Rarity Takes Manehattan" or "Suited for Success" and let them see best pony at her finest ;)

• Brohoof 1

Flight To The Finish personally.

As one of my favorite episodes of the entire series I am pretty sure that this episode one that handles the subject of disabilities with tact and grace/maturity and allow for some great character interaction within the CMC would leave a strong good first impression of what this show is capable of producing.

I'd actually show them some videos they would already like that have mlp references in them. That's how I go into they show, by watching mlp youtube poops. But if I had to choose on episode, I'd say "The Return of Harmony." Even though the 1st episode would seem to be the best choice because it sets up the characters, I just don't think its that great an episode. Return of Harmony also has an interesting villain, Discord, and definitely proves that mlp isn't always a girly show. Oh, and the worst episode to show a non-brony would be "Hearts and Hooves Day." That's only the worst episode IMO, but also quite girly, too.

Edited by rpc8169

Sonic Rainboom.  It's my personal favorite season one episode.  Shocking, I know.

Nopony sings during it (I've seen how colorful equines breaking into song affects non- or first time-viewers).  There's action and heroism.  Suspense.  An emotional payoff.  It's not "Magical Mystery Cure."  It's not a CMC episode (they grew on me - but one episode wouldn't be enough).  It's not one half of a two-parter.  Rainbow Dash is awesome - but multi-faceted, and it's easy for most anyone to identify with her in this episode.  The Sonic Rainboom is impressive.  It demonstrates the "magic of friendship" quite effectively.  When Rarity volunteered to be the test subject for Twi's magic.  When Rainbow didn't so much as hesitate to forgive Rarity.  And when seeing her friend Rarity in peril was the extra push Rainbow needed to successfully perform the Rainboom again.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby

Sonic Rainboom.  It's my personal favorite season one episode.  Shocking, I know.

Nopony sings during it (I've seen how colorful equines breaking into song affects non- or first time-viewers).  There's action and heroism.  Suspense.  An emotional payoff.  It's not "Magical Mystery Cure."  It's not a CMC episode (they grew on me - but one episode wouldn't be enough).  It's not one half of a two-parter.  Rainbow Dash is awesome - but multi-faceted, and it's easy for most anyone to identify with her in this episode.  The Sonic Rainboom is impressive.  It demonstrates the "magic of friendship" quite effectively.  When Rarity volunteered to be the test subject for Twi's magic and when Rainbow didn't so much as hesitate to forgive Rarity.  And when seeing her friend Rarity in peril was the extra push Rainbow needed to successfully perform the Rainboom again.

I like you quite a bit, but I really need to disagree on this one, man. As in, please don't show this one to people first ever :(

As a Rarity fan, many, many, many, many, many people were not very kind to both her and us because of this episode. Furthermore, it exploits her flaws and plays them up in an unlikable and cringeworthy way just to provide extra development for RD.  Just don't know if this is a good idea in the grand scheme of things as it may open one's eyes to what a great character RD is, but it seems 3/4 of people look past the good Rarity did at the first half and only look at the bad she did in the second half and tend to write her off before giving her an equal shot.

• Brohoof 2

I like you quite a bit, but I really need to disagree on this one, man. As in, please don't show this one to people first ever :(

As a Rarity fan, many, many, many, many, many people were not very kind to both her and us because of this episode. Furthermore, it exploits her flaws and plays them up in an unlikable and cringeworthy way just to provide extra development for RD.  Just don't know if this is a good idea in the grand scheme of things as it may open one's eyes to what a great character RD is, but it seems 3/4 of people look past the good Rarity did at the first half and only look at the bad she did in the second half and tend to write her off before giving her an equal shot.

I admit that didn't occur to me when I made my post.  I've gotten to the point where I can see the good in both ponies in that episode, and I don't Mane Six ponybash in general.  It was actually my mother who pointed out what Rarity did near the episode's start, and I've seen it that way ever since.  I suppose there's always "Wonderbolt Academy." x3  (Angelbabe's personal favorite episode.)  But no one I know - who hasn't already seen the show - is actually interested in watching it, anyhow.  And I wouldn't stand by and listen to them bash Rarity if they actually saw "Sonic Rainboom."  I care deeply about Dashie, you care deeply about Rarity; I don't want to see either pony attacked or prejudged.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pride, hands down. It has a simple yet affective plot, all of the characters are likeable, the animation and music are at their very best and the moral is helpful to many people. I would recommend this episode to anybody, really.

Other episodes I would recommend would be Suited For Success, Hurricane Fluttershy and Lesson Zero.

• Brohoof 1

I'd probably pick "Crystal Empire" as I think it's a good introduction to the Mane Six, while also offering glimpses to other main characters (sans CMC) that hold some sort of influence. Overall:

1. We get the Mane 6 doing their thing. Yes, Twilight is Mane Pone here, but the others have significant parts in the episode overall and it offers us some great characterizations.

2. This is possibly one of Spike's best moments in the entire series. Not only does he have a part to, he plays it WELL!

3. Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Shining Armor also feature prominently.

4. The animation here is jaw-dropping.

5. The Crystal Empire itself is just a marvel to show off.

6. Sombra is a good villain to introduce them to, IMO.

7. The songs are actually quite fun.

Anything else...hmmm...

So hard to choose one and also depends on the person your showing as well. On one hand I want to say the season 4 finale but it doesn't have enough of the mane 6 personality in it plus it could be a little overwhelming. For me I would say Bridle Gossip from season 1. I watched the show from episode 1 but Bridle Gossip is the one that took me from liking the show to loving the show. The "curses" each one them got has me laughing so hard and I believe it could be a great intro to the show.

Shrek 2 with all of the Shrek merchandise.

(and some PB&J Otter episodes I recorded)

That is how I became a brony, but considering that has several things that they would only understand if they've seen recent episodes like, the doctor regenerating, the return of the master,

who the guy who's "fez is familiar" is, rainbow dash being a cyborg terminator from the future,

Donkey can transform into a titan, twilight sparkle is now solid snake, 20% cooler and others.

It also contains some things that may make non-bronies not want to watch

such as the song "winter wrap up (wrap up rap edition staring snoop dogg feat. lord farquad or "Far Lord Quadz"),

heavy drug/sexual references, nudity, orphans in blenders, gang violence, racism, and much more.

All in all this is has still been my favourite episode ever since I was 8 years old, but I wouldn't recommend it for non-bronies.

For me to get my buddies hyper active kids hooked all I had to do was show them the 3 minutes of Twilight laying the smack down on Tirek video on Youtube. They saw that and they were more than happy to sit down and watch the rest. One of my friends I tossed him Omnibus Vol 1, he read it and was more than happy to watch it.  

When I bother to convence someone to watch ponies, I generally pick something that I know they will appreciate.  If you know your friend that you know what he/she likes or dislikes, pick from there.

I've done this a few times and I've converted people as well. I was also introduced to the series in this way. To me, it all depends on the person you're introducing the show to. Read them and make a judgment call, choosing an episode you think reflects their interest. If they like adventure, pick one of the two-parters. If they like musicals, pick Magical Mystery Cure. It's all a refection of their interests. When I was introduced to the show, a friend of mine chose Over A Barrel as my first episode because I look and sound quite a lot like Braeburn and at that moment I was infected.

My brother is not a fan of MLP, but when i told him that Weird Al was having a guest appearance, he had to see it.

We both are long time fans of his work and we pretty much seen everything that he did.