Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help me name her? :D

Cosmicbrambleclaw

Hey all :) Im new (woot) and currently my ponysona is unnamed *gasp!* Soooo I was hoping maybe you guys could help out :) it would be a fun way to get to know you all, and to find a sweet name for my mare

Shes a samurai and Im thinking her cutie mark will be two crossed katanas

img-3197270-1-sv4YmDe.jpg
base lineart courtesy http://www.deviantart.com/#/art/Pony-Lineart-309329957?hf=1 (I had permission from the artist to use her base)

armor and any revisions: me

Edit: Name List so far

Just a list of suggested names or names that I thought up

• Nagamaki Naoshi
  • Katate-Uchi
  • Kagemusha
  • Lotus Blade-- Her new name, courtesy CuteyCindyHoney :)
Edited by Cosmicbrambleclaw
  • Brohoof 2

That does seem like a good partial name :)

Hm... Katana Blade, Slicing Katana, Idk XD theres also the wakizashi and tachi swords.. a lot XD I'll make a list (i.e. copy from wikipedia to here)

• Chokutō (直刀?, "straight sword"): A straight single edged sword that was produced prior to the 10th century, and without differential hardening or folding.
  • Tsurugi/Ken (?, "sword"): A straight two edged sword that was produced prior to the 10th century, and may be without differential hardening or folding.
  • Tachi (太刀?, "big sword"): A sword that is generally longer and more curved than the later katana, with curvature centered from the middle or towards the tang, and often including the tang. Tachi were worn suspended, with the edge downward. The tachi was in vogue before the 1400s.
  • Kodachi (小太刀?, "small big sword"): A shorter version of the tachi, but with similar mounts and intended use, mostly found in the 1200s or earlier.
  • Ōdachi (大太刀?, "big big sword")/Nodachi (野太刀?, "big field sword"): Very large tachi, some in excess of 100 cm, and usually a blade of the late 1300s.
  • Uchigatana (打刀?): A development from the tachi in the 1400s. Worn with the edge upwards in the obi.
  • Katate-uchi (片手打ち?, "one handed"): A short type of uchigatana developed in the 1500s, with short tang, intended for one handed use. One of the forerunners of the wakizashi.
  • Katana (?, "sword"): A general term for the traditional sword with a curved blade longer than 60 cm (there is no upper length limit but generally they are shorter than 80 cm), worn with the edge upwards in the obi. Developed from the uchigatana and the sword of the samurai class of the Edo period (1600s to late 1800s).
  • Wakizashi ((脇差 "companion sword"?): A general term for a sword between one and two shaku long (30 cm and 60 cm in modern measurement), predominantly made after 1600. Generally it is the short blade that accompanies a katana in the traditional samurai daisho pairing of swords, but may be worn by classes other than the samurai as a single blade, also worn edge up as the katana.
  • Nagamaki (長巻?, "long wrapping"): A polearm similar to a naginata, but with a straighter blade, more like that of a tachi or katana, and mounted with a wrapped handle similar to a highly exaggerated katana handle. The name refers to the style of mount as well as a blade type which means that a naginata blade could be mounted in a nagamaki mount and be considered a nagamaki.[1][3] Nagamaki naoshi refers to a nagamaki blade that has been reshaped into a katana or wakizashi, they are mounted in a Japanese sword koshirae.[1]
  • Naginata (なぎなた, 薙刀?): A polearm with a curved single-edged blade. Naginata mounts consist of a long wooden pole, different from a nagamaki mount, which is shorter and wrapped. Naginata naoshi refers to a naginata blade that has been reshaped into a katana or wakizashi, they are mounted in a Japanese sword koshirae.[1]
  • Yari (?, "spear"): A spear, or spear-like polearm. Yari have various blade forms, from a simple double edged and flat blade, to a triangular cross section double edged blade, to those with a symmetric cross-piece (jumonji-yari) or those with an asymmetric cross piece. The main blade is symmetric and straight unlike a naginata, and usually smaller but can be as large or bigger than some naginata blades.
  • Tantō (短刀?, "short blade"): A knife or dagger. Usually one-edged, but some were double-edged, though asymmetrical.
  • Ken (?, "sword"): Usually a tanto or wakizashi length religious or ceremonial blade, with a gentle leaf shape and point,[4] but some may be larger and can also refer to old pre-curve types of swords as above. Symmetrical and double edged.

Hmm, there's Daisho which is basically a pair of swords (one small, one big) and there's Kagemusha which means a shadow warrior :)

Alternatively, you can name her after any one (or more!) of the seven virtues of bushido. Gi, Yuuki, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Meiyo and Chuugi :)

Edited by MidnightBloom
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I really like Kagemusha :D but I think I have to go with Cindy on this one, Lotus Blade does sound kinda appropriate-- sort of a misnomer, in that the pretty name and face hides a deadly blade

I think her "job" can be being a kagemusha :)

Thanks all for the help ^_^

Edited by Cosmicbrambleclaw
  • Brohoof 1

I'm terrible at naming stuff really... I usually name everything names that already exist ^-^''
But it's good you've picked a name for her :D It's a pretty cool name ^.^