Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are we all even doing this?

ciztoi

I've seen so many people with severe, severe social impediments who are bronies and I can't help but feel like one of them, even though I'm nowhere near as bad as them. 

See, this is what I think is holding you back and making you feel so embarrassed. You're choosing to see what you want to see, rather than what's actually in front of you.

There are many bronies who are on the autism spectrum, yes, but note the spectrum part of it. Social impediments can vary, and different people have different degrees of them and even then, how much it affects them is still an individual case. There's also plenty of bronies here who don't have autism. Either way, though, a social impediment is not something that is shameful. It's just a diagnosis, just like influenza is, or depression. The diagnosis is there to help find adequate treatments for it and for an individual to better understand their strengths and weaknesses.

You fall under the stigma, and that's what's making you feel so ashamed. You see being socially inept as something that's shameful. While I would not argue that being socially inept is a good thing (it's not), it's no more shameful than any other flaw, like being stubborn/prideful, or being not-as-smart as some others within your class. It presents a unique set of challenges for you, but that's all it does. It doesn't automatically disqualify you as a bad person or make you shameful as a whole. It's just a part of you that you need to work on.

Think of it this way: all these bronies that you're calling socially inept could also be amazing artists, or wonderful musicians, or they could be donors for charities that help people get back on their feet or support cancer research. These should not be discredited just because they have a social impediment. It's all in the way you choose to look at the situation.

Even then, bronies are just as varied as participants in any other fandom, and they have different walks of life and to judge them all because a certain sample of them is like this is a very hasty and misinformed judgment.

I agree with this, but I feel that because of the circumstances of our culture the way others think about you will still affect your life anyway.  I understand "normal" is relative, but I can't ever stop seeing that the vast majority of society adheres to a single definition of normal.  Maybe to others this isn't a problem, but to me I constantly feel "wrong" for living the way I do because of it.  Locally, in our culture, the norm is an "absolute", that is, you're deviating from the expected behavior of the vast majority of society.

But this is exactly why we should stand up and challenge these ideas, because all they're doing is harming people. They're harming you. They're making you feel upset and guilty for something you shouldn't, morally, be upset and guilty over. This is why we do this, because we recognize that this cultural stigma surrounding what you should and shouldn't like is a load of horse shit and something that shouldn't stand.

• Brohoof 3

I'm basically still here in the fandom because it's a nice escape from reality. With deadlines constantly causing stress in my life and lack of inspiration making those deadlines even more worrisome, it's wonderful to have something to watch and be a part of for an hour or so. Watching the show is fun--it's a good show. That's why we all started to become fans, right? So I guess I'm still a part of the fandom because it's fun and the show is good. My artwork has improved, especially after I've been doing things that make me happy. And if ponies are what is making me happy at this point in my life, I'm not going to let my work suffer by giving it up :P

• Brohoof 4

Have you managed to somehow come to terms with your interests?

you ask that as if liking a show is like realizing you have cancer.

liking a show is not something you have to come to terms with!

don't feel badly for it. 

hater's will hate no matter what, why let that stop you from being happy?

I read millions and millions of words of fanfiction.  I followed lots of pony ask blogs, regularly browsed deviantart, et cetera et cetera.  I listened to pony music and almost nothing else every day.

pony music is amazing, why wouldn't you? :)

there are tons of fanfics that are amazing, why not enjoy them?

there is no reason you shouldn't enjoy them.

• Brohoof 2

I'm one of those guys who aren't hyper-obsessed with ponies and I'm doing just fine. I have other interests, I socialize, I work out, I meditate, I play the guitar and fence and play badminton and do a whole ton of other stuff. Sure MLP is a huge part of me but it's not the only thing.

As long as you don't go around annoying people with ponies they won't really mind, most of the time.

Since the brony community is relatively more friendly (at least from my observation) people are more open about their personal issues here, cough life advice cough. I mean if you think it's bothering you just don't go there, because it's pretty much mostly negative stuff gathered from all over the world and boxed in there.

As for social norms? They could be correct, but they aren't exactly correct all the time, it's a relative thing. I mean take example from North Korea, the norm there is Kim Jon Un is a perfect flawless God, but we know it's not the case, since we don't go with that norm. Hell, racism and sexism are all previous norms that people follow, but now they are offensive because as the norm evolved our perception changes. I mean, maybe a hundred years later it would be abomination to not have access to Internet, maybe 2 decades from now the brony fandom would be the next Star Wars fandom, not as active but not quite dead yet. Things change and evolve, today's norm could be tomorrow's abomination, who knows?

Of course, right now bronies are considered odd, but there are a whole ton of people out there who like odd things but could still function very well in society? How? They know the balance! You get some weird eyes if you wear a rainbow dash pullover but you could still go through your daily life, but what if you wear a pinkie pie skirt? There are bottom lines of the norm people just simply can't touch. Sure I'm fine with a guy wearing skirts but I can't speak for the rest 7 billion peeps.

In sum: Norms change. Don't be hyper-obsessed.

Edited by Solid Scorpion
  • Brohoof 2

Why I'm here? because I like it, the reason why I stay is because I haven't felt any pressure to leave, for all my life I've been different, so when this didn't fit society's norms I didn't think anything of it.

• Brohoof 2

I'm still here cuz I can't freaking take people telling me what I can and can't do. Telling me to run or avoid or cope with my problems instead of facing them, it really ticks me off. I've always liked children's cartoons. I AM STILL TECHNICALLY A CHILD. Why can't people accept that?!

• Brohoof 1

I apologize in advance...  I've been trying to distance myself from this fandom for... well, now it's over 2 years, but it's never worked.  I just get worse, and feel worse and worse about myself.

Why are we all a part of this objectively meaningless group that has an interest in something people in general doesn't approve of?  It's not normal.  And by that, I mean, it doesn't fit society's definition of normal, and that's the only thing that matters.  How can you take yourself seriously doing this?  I know I can't take myself seriously.

I became part of this mess 3 years ago at the beginning of season 2.  The next 8 months or so were some of the happiest, most blissfully ignorant months of my life.  I read millions and millions of words of fanfiction.  I followed lots of pony ask blogs, regularly browsed deviantart, et cetera et cetera.  I listened to pony music and almost nothing else every day.  Then my friends all quit the pony stuff.  I "quit" as well.  Some people probably are aware, but most people don't know I'm a brony.  I'm constantly ashamed of the new levels of embarrassment I descend to over time.  I've seen so many people with severe, severe social impediments who are bronies and I can't help but feel like one of them, even though I'm nowhere near as bad as them.  These feelings are what have prevented me from applying for a programmer in many major projects despite that I would like to (regardless of the looming threat of C&Ds) and feel I would be able to make a contribution.

Why are you still here?  Have you managed to somehow come to terms with your interests?

I find myself wondering the question every now and then myself...why am I here? Why do I like this show? Why am I a small member of the fandom? Etc.

I think the thing that answers my question is that simply, it's a show I like a lot. And simply, I have joined the many men and women who like the show as well: from the most normal looking people out there to the weirdos that make most people cringe.

Why should I care what "society" thinks about my liking for the show? I'm doing no harm in liking a well made TV show am I? And for that matter, there's nothing that the TV show can really do to me either. I'm not going to turn into a sissy merely because there's entertainment value in a little girls show.

At that point, I would personally chalk it up to society's natural inclination to look for dirt.

• Brohoof 1

No one is a perfect mold of Normal. For that to happen you'd have to define what is normal, and theres not much anyone can establish as normal. You do you bro. :smug:

I'm constantly ashamed of the new levels of embarrassment I descend to over time.
Every society has molds and I don't know what culture you are from, but we as humans have the capacity to be individuals, and nobody can stop you really. I'm sure everyone has something they are embarrassed about, and being a brony is certainly not the worst thing to be out there. Besides, who cares what people may think. If they are truly people worth your time, then this shouldn't matter.

As for the "meaninglessness" of the fandom, if it makes you, or other people happy, then that is one of the best meanings for something to exist. :)

As for why I am here, I simply love the show, it makes me happy, and I want to be able to talk to people who also enjoy it, especially since I don't know many people in my area who do.

These feelings are what have prevented me from applying for a programmer in many major projects despite that I would like to (regardless of the looming threat of C&Ds) and feel I would be able to make a contribution.
I honestly hope you choose to follow something you are passionate about, whether it involves MLP or not. Do what you want to do that makes you happy, not what you think others will approve of. :smug: Later bro.
  • Brohoof 2

Ya know, there are professional companies out there, that make animation, and need programmers, who love ponies. :D

You do realize that it's Adults that make nearly all children's shows, movies, toys, games, and so on, right?

By the by, taking yourself seriously, all of the time, sounds rather stressful, and no fun at all. :derp:

• Brohoof 4

Humans are not 'normal', thats just a made up word. Travel the world and you'll find places where '"normal" for them is probably quite shocking and distrubing for you. It is always possible that the 'norms' of society can be wrong. If people never challenged them then they would never change.

As to why I like the show I watch it for the plot its a good show. Its aimed at kids sure, but so are are cartoons like tom and jerry. Adults can watch them to, beats the heck out of more depressing adult drama and mind killing 'soaps' on TV (seriously, there plot lines make MLP more believable /)_- )

You'll find "socially awkward" people everywhere, if you saw them supporting the same team as you in a sport, would you stop supporting that team? If you saw them eating the same food as you would you change your diet?? Ofc not. That would just be stupid.

You don't have to define yourself by the fandom, just enjoy the show. Your probably struggling to leave the fandom because your forcing it. It'll happen naturally with time (unless the following seasons can pull of something truly impressive and interesting), eventually something new will come and wisk you away into whatever fandom that develops around that. Such is the Internet. :) 

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

It's a TV show. I saw it and thought it was fun and enjoyable. :P For that reason I was brought into the fandom where everyone else who enjoyed the same thing was.

I'm still here because:

1. I love the show. (Even the Equestria Girls movies)

2. I've made a lot of friends here and have changed for the better.

3. The people here aren't just bronies. Some are huge geeks like me. :wub: I've found people who not only enjoy MLP but also enjoy a lot of other things I don't seem to find in anyone else I know IRL. Especially in gaming and such.

I just couldn't ask for a more talented, kind hearted, geeky group of people. ^^

• Brohoof 2

If we were all the same,

All so mundane,

What would be the point of life?

We would all like the same things,

We would all like the same people.

We would all like the same television programs,

We would all like the same video games,

We would all like football,

We would all like dressup.

So,

When you find something that is not the norm,

think to yourself,

Isn't it great to be different?

• Brohoof 4

Here's the thing, in school I used to be popular *Gasp*. Being popular was to be the way society told you to be, skinny, going out every Saturday night, you must only like the things everybody else likes and so on. At the time I had no idea that I was actually unhappy with this lifestyle, it was too busy, I had to keep track of everything, if someone else watched a certain show man I had to watch it too.

Everyone was mean to other people (sure there were one or two people who weren't like that). At this point I started watching anime, this was frowned open because it was deemed "too geeky for popular people" (actual quote) I kept that quiet for a while.

Next was a break time and someone (not one of the popular people) talked to me about the show, I thought he was joking of course until he told a bunch of new kids in our school about the show and said every characters names. I thought he was being ironic.

I got home and watched the show for the first time, it opened my eyes to everything that was going on around me and showed me that everything that was going on I was unhappy with. The show showed me how I need real friends who arn't just doing everything they do to be popular.

I now am happy in a group of 6 friends (and a few others from time to time) that support each other and help each other in any situation. Two of them are now bronies because I said I liked the show, we don't hate each other for hobbies and interests.

I love this community for so many reasons it teaches me everything, it makes art, music and pretty much everything I can think of.

This fandom has supported me for the last 2.5 years and to that I thank everyone involved.

I can like this show and not be ashamed of myself because it's taught me the lifestyle I want to live by and if anyone says that I'm "gay" or a "moron" for liking the show they are not a friend of mine.

TL;DR: I like My Little Pony deal with it.

• Brohoof 2

I started watching MLP, because of all the good things I've heard about it, and I loved it. I loved the art, I loved how it didn't aim exactly at little girls, and there was enough action and comedy and slapstick for the boys to be interested, I loved how they introduced lore and continuity into it.

I wasn't put off by girliness, because since I was five, I was watching magical girl anime, Sailor Moon, and all that. And that's led me to other good shows. (If any anime fans want  a really good deconstruction of magical girl anime, go watch Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica.)

C.S. Lewis once said,

"When I was ten I would read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I was found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things,Including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

I feel that is something we should all remember.

Edited by Intense Rainbow Dash
  • Brohoof 1

it doesn't fit society's definition of normal, and that's the only thing that matters.

^--This is a lie. "Speak the truth, even if your voice trembles." My truth is that, as long as I am happy, society can blow it out their clown-holes. 

I like the show, I like the people I've met because of the show. People I likely would not have known otherwise. I am a better person since watching the show, as well.

• Brohoof 1

* OP joined the 26th to make this single topic

* OP hasn't been online since two days ago after they posted this topic and made a single response

* The results are in: OP is just trying to start shit

But hey, let's not dissappoint the poor soul, right? Everyone else has already brought this to three pages.

• Society's 'definition of normal' is skewed as fuck.
  • Gender steryotypes are outdated and completely sexist.
  • 'The majority of society' that you mention? The ones who follow these 'rules of society'? Yeah, see, they're mostly narrow-minded twats, too. That's what happens when you follow a herd of sheep without question, you never learn, discover and define things for yourself.
  • Society is, and will continue to change. Majority rules now can be minority loses in another decade; even less than that. So why must you treat it as an absolute thing? It's really not. It won't change tommorow or next week, but I'd rather be a part of a transition into a better society that thinks with a more open mind than to cave and not like what I genuinely like because of what others might think.

Enjoy what you enjoy, not what others say you should.

• Brohoof 8