Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgetting that Rainbow Dash is female

Tetrakemy

Anypony else often times forgets that Rainbow dash is a girl?

I sure do! From how boyish she looks and how much of a tomboy she is with how she acts and her likes and stuff. It is quite easy to forget she is a girl.

• Brohoof 9

Just because it sounds like a guy, behaves like a guy, looks like a guy, and doesn't like feminine things - doesn't mean it is a guy.

(Though, Rainbow Dash likes some feminine things, anyway...)

• Brohoof 3

My little brother often mistakes Rainbow Dash and Applejack's gender. He just says: "Can't I just say they're boys?!" (Then I tell him he has to respect gender).

But also, I thought Rainbow Dash was a boy prior to me watching the show.

• Brohoof 3

I always knew from the start that Rainbow Dash is female. There is not a time where I thought Rainbow is male.

It always baffles me every time someone thinks or thought Rainbow is male. -3-

• Brohoof 5

Nope. She doesn't have a male pony body shape.

Otherwise she would look like this:

rainbow_dash_rule_63_by_dragonchaser123-

(Gosh, it's so hard to find show accurate Rainbow Blitz designs... WE NEED MORE RULE 63)

• Brohoof 4

I always knew from the start that Rainbow Dash is female. There is not a time where I thought Rainbow is male.

It always baffles me every time someone thinks or thought Rainbow is male. -3-

Yeah. I always saw her as female. I don't get it.

• Brohoof 2

No...?

It's kind of hard to forget something like that, since she's always referred to as female, has eyelashes drawn on, a head shape that looks like all the other female characters, and a woman's voice.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

The first episode I ever saw was Three's a Crowd.  Second was Filli Vanilli.  Then Simple Ways.  Finally Twilight Time.  After those four episodes (none of which was a Rainbow spotlight), I was unsure of RD's sex.  After only four episodes, it wasn't apparent to me that all females had a distictive muzzle shape.  After all, people come in all types, shapes, sizes, etc.  And it's impossible to tell a real horse's sex by their head.  Or cats or dogs or anything else for that matter.  And the eyelashes weren't a tipoff to me either.  After all, RD has the smallest and most subtle lashes of the group.  When you compare RD and Rarity, it's easy to assume that RD might be the masculine lash model.  Not to mention that, irl, MALES HAVE EYELASHES!  In fact, of the people I know, the men tend to have longer, fuller lashes than the women.  In fact, I've had two dedicated female hair stylists in my life, and each one has told me on a number of occasions than they are jealous of my lashes, and how "guys always get the good ones," etc.  Based on my personal experiences, and nothing else, I would hypothesize than males developed longer lashes to help protect them from irrantants while out hunting in prehistoric days and such.  The point is that lashes need not be a strictly feminine feature.

So, anyway, I was indeed unsure of her sex.  I bought all seasons on DVD and started at the beginning.  I believe that the first time anypony uses a pronoun to refer to Dashie is in the second episode, FIM pt 2.  I honestly wasn't sure until that point.  For a little while after, I would occasionally slip up and sort of think of her using a masculine pronoun.  I can understand never making that mistake, but I think there's a valid argument for making the mistake as well.  Now that I'm, like, super brony, and seen every episode bunches of times, I couldn't possible see or think of her any other way than how she is.  But in the beginning, yeah, her attitude and the very slightly husky edge to her voice left me unsure.  (I never wondered with AJ, btw.  The way Ashleigh does her voice sounds more feminine to me.)

All that said, I'd like to add that Rainbow's slight sexual ambiguity is part of the reason I LOVE her character!  I think she sends a great message to kids about being yourself, and that it's okay to be any way that you are, and that you don't need to adhere to or fit into stereotypes.

Rainbow, you are every bit as awesome as you think you are!

post-26336-0-81702900-1414375983_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2