Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What would your cutie mark be? And why?

Owlowiscious

Mine is a Green emerald heart with 3 green stars around it.

Because I am cool and collected most of the time but sometimes I explode into such craziness I'm called pinkie pie XD

The green represents the coolness and the heart is my kindness and general personality of love. the stars are my explosions!

Here is my OC pony to show the cutiemark ^_^

post-9026-0-10739600-1359332238_thumb.png

If I were a pony, I would have a cutie mark which look like the one you can see below, since I already know what my special talent is:

img-1135378-1-SasQ_with_Manestein.png

This is a ponified version of me (the blue one on the left), having a nice conversation with Dr. Manestein (on the right), an OC I invented (well, not quite: it's a ponified version of Einstein, as you could probably guess ;-) ). But let me now explain what my cutie mark depicts, what does it mean, and why such an idea:

This cutie mark depicts two rainbow-coloured waves interfering with each other and making a pattern of interference fringes.

I've chosen it to be about waves, because I'm a follower of ancient science saying that all matter and everything in the Universe is made of waves of pure empty space. The empty space (which has been called by different names: Ether, Apeiron, Prima Materia, Vacuum, etc.; or more recently Quantum Field) is a fabric which can stretch and make ripples of itself, which propagate in a wavy motion. These ripples may oscillate in many different ways and interfere with each other to form what we perceive as atoms, particles, fields, interactions and forces in our physical world. This is quite a fringe/underground science in our modern world dominated by physicists believing in point particles, quantum miracles, probabilities and other bizarre ideas which only confuse the simplicity of Nature.

(BTW: you can also see this reference to waves in my OC's tail, which looks pretty much like a sine wave ;-) ).

The rainbow colors of these waves can be understood twofold:

1. They relate to the electromagnetic spectrum of visible light, which you can get when passing the sunlight through a glass prism. It then spreads into a continuous spectrum containing all the frequencies of vibration (full spectrum). This opposes to the quantum physics which deals only with line spectra of atoms (having only stripes of colors here and there, different set of colors for different atoms), seemingly ignoring what they are comparing these stripes with -- the continuous spectrum -- because they cannot explain it with quanta.
Also, it relates to the analytic approach of Science: taking white light and decomposing it into its color components to know what it is made of. This discovery and its explanation required sharpness of mind and allowed to learn some of the Nature's secrets, for example, how does she do the rainbows ;-)

2. The full spectrum can be wrapped around the color wheel an can be then used to indicate the phase of the wave at each point in space. Waves are cyclic phenomena, and one often needs to know what part of that cycle the wave currently is at some point. One can color-map it in a way that the beginning of the cycle is marked with red, and then follows the cycle around the color circle: lime is for phase quadrature (90 degrees angle), cyan blue (the negative of red) is for phase opposition (180*, or the opposite sign), violet is for another quadrature (270*) and then it gets back to red (360* = 0*). And when you map the phases of a circular/spherical wave, you'll get circles of rainbow as on my cutie mark ;-)

I've chosen circular waves, because circle is the most perfect figure: it has infinity of vertices/angles and it's the most symmetric of all (it looks the same in all directions). When you have a wave in a free space and let it spread the way it likes, it will want to spread its energy evenly in all directions, so it will always choose to spread spherically, because of exactly these symmetry properties of circles.

On my cutie mark there are two such circular waves. This shape of two intersecting circles sharing the common radius is a known shape in ancient Sacred Geometry, called "Vesica Piscis" (from lat. "fish bladder", literally "the vessel of the fish"). It is also the first shape Euclid describes on the very first page of his geometry book entitled "The Elements" ("... of Harmony" ;-) ):

img-1135378-2-euc-I-1.gif

This is not only the basis of geometry, but it has also a deeper meaning: it represents the duality of equal opposites. This is the basic law of our Universe (according to the ancient science I'm talking about): Everything could be made out of nothing, but only in one way: by dividing the vacuum and separating it into equal opposites. Because only in this way the balance can be maintained. Waves come to life exactly by that process (that's why they have positive and negative halves, equal to each other in shape and value). And this is the basis for electric charges (which are + and -), which in turn are the basis for other phenomena, up to biology and psychology. I elaborated more on the idea of the balance of the oposites (or harmony) in this thread about symbolism in MLP:FIM.

Speaking of harmony: this is one of the central ideas of this ancient knowledge, and it is naturally known from sound waves and musics, but it applies also to colors of light spectrum, proportions of distances between planets' orbits in our Solar System, electrons' energy levels in atoms etc.

The last meaning hidden in my cutie mark symbol is about spreading the wave, that is, sharing knowledge.

And that's exactly what my special talent is all about:
Since my earliest childhood I wanted to know everything about the Universe I became to live in. I taught myself how to read (using blocks with letters carved on them) when I was five, because I wanted to know what's in all these books which were kicking around all my house, instead of only looking at pictures. Then I've been reading all these books I was supposed to be "too young" for, but nevertheless understood somehow. And then I could explain what's there using simple words, as child speaks to another child. My special talent was always about taking hard things, thinking them deeply over, untangling, seeing the pattern, understanding, and then explaining them in much simpler words to other people without all that confusing fuss.

But I realized all of this only after many years of erring, because schools and bad teachers from the education system have been confusing me for many years and distracting me from it. That's why I get my cutie mark not already in my childhood, but somewhere around 25th year of my life. But now I know my purpose in the Universe and I make use of it ;-)

I hope you enjoyed the story behind my cutie mark ;-)
The story about my OC is... well... whole another story :-D Maybe I'll tell it to you someday too...

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 4

Well, in all honestly, and I know this sounds crazy knowing I am 18, but....

I think I would not have mine yet.

A cutie mark appears when one realizes what their special talent is, right?

And their special talent pretty much determines what they will do with their lives, career, activities, etc.

Personally, I have no idea what my future holds for me, I have no real dreams about what I want to be, no hopes about how my life will turn out, no clue how things will go. I don't know what I want to do with my life, I don't know what I am good at, its all just unknown to me.

So for now, I am blank. And as far as I can see, I will be blank for a while still.

My destiny, what I will become, that is still all unknown to me.

But I hope that someday soon I will discover it.

Well, in all honestly, and I know this sounds crazy knowing I am 18, but....

I think I would not have mine yet.

It's not virginity; it can wait ;-)

A cutie mark appears when one realizes what their special talent is, right?

And their special talent pretty much determines what they will do with their lives, career, activities, etc.

Yes. But not the other way around. Your dreams, life, career, activities etc. doesn't determine your special talent. You can even do what your special talent is all about, but when you don't realize that this is it, your flank will remain blank. Because cutie mark appears when you become aware of your special talent. See Sweetie Belle for example: her special talent appears to be about writing songs (and Twilight already noticed it), but since she's not aware of it yet, she has no cutie mark. I cannot imagine anypony to be surprised when his/her cutie mark appears, or to disagree with what he/she sees.

Personally, I have no idea what my future holds for me

No one knows that, even if one already has his/her cutie mark. Because cutie marks are not about future, but they're describing present; what one is aware of now.

I have no real dreams about what I want to be

This is also unimportant. You cannot just "dream" what your cutie mark should be to make it appear ;-) Dreams don't create special talents, because special talents come first, and dreams come next, as a result of the special talent. When your special talent is, for example, solving mysteries, you will dream about being a detective, or archeologist, or a scientist etc. What you do with your special talent in the future is up to you.

I don't know what I want to do with my life, I don't know what I am good at, its all just unknown to me.

So maybe you should try the following experiment:

Stop doing anything now. Just quit it all. Give yourself at least a couple of hours, or maybe days, for doing completely nothing. This way you will isolate from external influences and other people's expectations about what you should do. Also, it should stop your own pressure for knowing your purpose in life. Just sit there and wait, doing absolutely nothing. Don't hurry yourself, it's not a race. Give yourself as much time as it will need, and it's not you to decide how much time it needs. Just wait.

I am pretty sure that nopony could stand just sitting and doing nothing for such a long time (though different persons have different timeouts set up for it, that's why I advice to just wait for it). So after some unspecified time you'll feel the unstoppable urge to do something. And it will be something you want to do, from your own inherent need. Sometimes this might be something unrelated to your special talent. But most of the cases I know, this will be related to your special talent. Because when you cut off all external influences and internal pressures, then the only thing what's left is your special talent driving you to doing something. This special talent is the driving force which drives your life from your very core, even if you weren't aware of it, because when it passes all these layers of personality, it often disguises into something else (like dreams, for example).

My mom has worked as a teacher in a kindergarten. One day she shared with me a very wise reflection about what she have learned in her work: There were many different children in her group, and they all could play many different toys and games, but every child had his/her own special preferences and interests which he/she showed most of the time. One child played with bricks. The other child played with cars. Still other child liked drawing. Another child liked playing on the piano. Then it came to her (and to me too, when she told me about that) that people come to this world with their special talents already in them. Every child knows exactly why he/she came to this world and what's his/her purpose.

Unfortunately, kindergartens and schools (due to their curriculum and bad pedagogical methods) don't support these talents and just confuse children to the point that they forget their special talents and purposes. They need to act what other people expect from them, and learn many different things which dont' fit them, just because it's in the curriculum (aka brainwashing cutie mark eraser). They did it to me too. But fortunately, after ~25 years I already remembered my special talent and become aware of it back again.

So maybe this is it? Maybe try to remember what drived your life when you were a little child? What did you want to play most of the time? What made you feel the rainbow inside of you? ;-J

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my Ponysona has this cutie mark

pencopy_zpsd95934fe.png

It's a drawing pen. I'm not entirely sure exactly which area I want to go into when I finish uni, aside from the fact that it will involve drawing in one form or another. I'm interested in a lot of areas, but at the same time, I haven't found my "talent" yet. Hopefully I'll figure things out in few months when I'm expected to find a job. Either that, or I'll be an unemployed hobo. :P  

Edited by Hansel

I think my cutie mark would be a book with a star on it. Or something..

I really like astronomy and history and art...so something to do with those things, but I'm not really sure.

I draw almost everyday...and love to animate...

Maybe it would be a pencil and a paint brush?

snowflakes cus i love the cold and snow or an ice blue lightning bolt. 

Also I think my special talent is surviving in cold weather, i go have snowball fights wearing a t shirt.

My avatar is what i would look like but its kinda small150px-HappyStudio_Snowflake.png

I enjoy helping people. It brings about a joy in me that I have a hard time finding elsewhere. And by my logic, I can help people in no better way than helping them to continue to enjoy their lives. As such, I'm saying it'd probably be the Rod of Asclepius, the internationally recognized symbol of medicine (A.k.a.: the snake wrapped around the staff)

• 2 weeks later...