Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you have preferred if EG was never made?

J.T.

And, yes, Equestria Girls shouldn't exist because like what I wrote prior, it goes against the most valued core of the franchise: the ability that people can be empowered regardless of who you are. FIM's roots are deep in feminism, ones dating back to G1. These values are everywhere, from the character design to the pro-feminist concepts.

Equestria Girls panders to adolescent girls, the market Hasbro claims it speaks to and for. By pandering to girls, EQG objectifies them and enforces the blatant sexism Faust fought against. And because they demean adolescent girls, they demean women, men, and and people, period. As such, I have every reason to speak out against it.

I guess I should also address this part, too.

Lauren Faust said of the message of the show:

There are lots of different ways to be a girl. You can be sweet and shy, or bold and physical. You can be silly and friendly, or reserved and studious. You can be strong and hard working, or artistic and beautiful.

This is one of the reasons I'm a fan of Rarity. Faust could have taken the route of completely avoiding girlishness. That isn't what she did though. You can have both Rarity and Rainbow Dash who are at opposite ends of the spectrum of traditional girlishness and tomboyness. And the thing is, they are both following perfectly valid paths of "being girls".

Equestria Girls has the girls engaging in activities that are "girly". They get crushes on cute boys, they give each other makeovers, and they get excited about going to a school dance in pretty dresses.

You could say this is enforcing stereotypes about girls, but remember the point is that "girly" does not have to be bad. The characters are more than just girlishness, they each have their own range of interests outside this like the characters in the show. See that's the thing, it's okay for Rainbow Dash to be competitive and rough and into sports and playing guitar, and then also act "girly" and go to the school dance in a pretty dress. Nobody questions this or her femininity/masculinity.

Twilight Sparkle can be her intelligent, bookish, "adorkable self", but she can also experience crushes on cute boys. Getting crushes is just part of the high school girl experience. But despite this foray into "acting like a girl", Twilight doesn't compromise on who she is. She stays true to Twilight Sparkle.

Then we can go in reverse in Rainbow Rocks with Rarity. Rarity is still the dazzling fashionista we all know, but then she can still pick up a keytar and play in a rock band, despite rock bands being usually a fairly male dominated activity. But then she can still bring in her own Rarity like contribution and come up with costumes for the band while still rocking out on the keytar.

They're all just experiencing being high school girls and there is no right or wrong way to do it.

• Brohoof 3

You're not doing yourself any favors by using the ol' "don't like it, don't read/watch it" strawman. Even if I never got to watch it, there's so much information about Equestria Girls with a couple of clicks. The wikis and any reviews that leave the movie intact provide more than enough info to judge the spinoff's objective quality. Your excuse doesn't fly anymore because we're not in an era where most people were in the dark. If anything, by using it, you're only enforcing how bad this spinoff truly is.

And, yes, Equestria Girls shouldn't exist because like what I wrote prior, it goes against the most valued core of the franchise: the ability that people can be empowered regardless of who you are. FIM's roots are deep in feminism, ones dating back to G1. These values are everywhere, from the character design to the pro-feminist concepts.

Equestria Girls panders to adolescent girls, the market Hasbro claims it speaks to and for. By pandering to girls, EQG objectifies them and enforces the blatant sexism Faust fought against. And because they demean adolescent girls, they demean women, men, and and people, period. As such, I have every reason to speak out against it.

I can boil your wall of text post down to one sentence...

"Whaa-Whaa, how dare they make a cartoon I don't like!"

I enjoyed Equestria Girls, and I LOVED Rainbow Rocks. I'm a thirty-five year old woman who saw nothing wrong in either. My argument is still valid. If you don't like something, don't watch it. You sound like a babbling boob if you keep ranting your desperate wishes for a cartoon you don't like to not exist.

Oh, and what the heck do you mean by referring to me as strawman? I literally have no idea what that means.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm... I guess I can't say I hate EG, as I have yet to give that a watch, mostly out of slight apprehension at seeing my favorite characters change. I do however want them to make another mlp movie, that is not humanized.

You're in luck, they're developing a pony-only movie to be released in three years if I'm not mistaken  :yay:

You're in luck, they're developing a pony-only movie to be released in three years if I'm not mistaken  :yay:

Really? If that is true, then I am the happiest living thing on the planet at this very moment!

Honestly, yes I feel it never should have been made. However, I do not have anything against anyone who thinks otherwise. Its just that, if they wanted to make a My Little Pony film, then why didn't they just make an MLP film. Instead of My Little Airheaded High School Bratz Knock-off.

Edited by HopeTheWanderer

If EG didn't exist, we wouldn't have RR.
If RR didn't exist, we wouldn't have RR finale.
RR finale is the only rainbow-blasts-galore-type of MLP finale that got every detail right.
Losing RR finale would be a tragic loss.

Would not have preferred, no.

After watching Rainbow Rocks, and hearing it was better then the first, yes I would've liked if they never existed. I thought RR was bad, and if it was better then the first, I'm glad I'm not going to watch it.

• Brohoof 1

A great big fat NO!

Equestria Girls is a good film, and Rainbow Rocks is better.

Besides, without them we would have no Sunset Shimmer. And I'm not sure I want to consider what life would be without Sunset Shimmer.

• Brohoof 1

After watching Rainbow Rocks, and hearing it was better then the first, yes I would've liked if they never existed. I thought RR was bad, and if it was better then the first, I'm glad I'm not going to watch it.

True. If you don't like something, just watch something else. Thank you for making sense. I'm not kidding. I just can't wrap my head around people on any topic, who have a "I didn't like it, so I don't want ANYONE to ever experience it" mentality. I don't like sports, but I have no wish to prevent others from enjoying (obsessing on) them. I can't stand never much cared for the show "Grey's Anatomy" but I think it's nice that it's fans are enjoying a nice long run.

Persoanlly I love EQ. If it was never made we wouldn't have that curiosity of them being human or going into another dimention. I'm glad it was made and got to love the music.

A great big fat NO!

Equestria Girls is a good film, and Rainbow Rocks is better.

Besides, without them we would have no Sunset Shimmer. And I'm not sure I want to consider what life would be without Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset could've easily been added in an episode.

Sunset could've easily been added in an episode.

Yah she could have,  but this makes

her stand out a bit more on her own

as a cannon and in Rainbow,  she does

stand on her own two feet a bit while Twlight

does a bit of a spazz deal!

Sunset Shimmer in EQG is a complete stereotype of the high school bully, only with a dose of stupid in her vial. Rainbow Rocks's Sunset is out of character: Rewrite the name and switch the script a bit, and you have a completely new character.

How in the living hell is Sunset Shimmer out of character?

• Brohoof 1

Yah she could have,  but this makes

her stand out a bit more on her own

as a cannon and in Rainbow,  she does

stand on her own two feet a bit while Twlight

does a bit of a spazz deal!

Are you new? Because do you have any idea, how many ponies have done next to nothing, and still stand out?

• Brohoof 1

The Human Touch

post-2150-0-22407900-1416001365.jpg

When I found out the first My Little Pony movie since Lauren Faust's creative revolution was going to feature our beloved mane cast as human teenagers in a high school, I was absolutely mortified. It seemed to betray everything Lauren brought to the franchise, like a huge, soulless corporate step backward.

Frankly, I still hate the premise.

For a long time, I didn't want to have anything to do with Equestria Girls because of that, and I don't think I was wrong to feel that way. Nonetheless, I utterly respect the incredible talent at Hasbro Studios and DHX, and know these people aren't prone to kicking out poor work, so I did eventually buy a copy of the Equestria Girls Blu-Ray and sat down to watch it with as open a mind as I could.

I was blown away.

In hindsight, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised about that, but I did have my doubts, and given how intolerably trite, overdone and stale the use of the high school setting is in animation, still feel fully justified in being skeptical. Indeed, there are some elements of the crossover that continue to grate on me a bit, but the way the cast and crew bring such vibrancy and life to the characters of Canterlot High enriches both the human and pony worlds.

I'm very happy the Equestria Girls initiative has been so successful for Hasbro and, despite my misgivings, consider myself hooked. When I found out about Rainbow Rocks months ago, I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray within minutes and am very happy to have it in my collection.

Having said that, I still think there's something unique and special about our little ponies as ponies, believe the magical land of Equestria is a grand enough vision to offer many, many years of top-notch entertainment on its own merits, and am really looking forward to future seasons, the feature-length movie and hopefully plenty of other new pony-related projects.

tl;dr version: If the Equestria Girls spin-off had never happened, I wouldn't have missed it, but now that it's here, I'm very impressed and I'm glad it's here.

• Brohoof 1

No.

I really enjoy Equestria Girls. It's a good franchise. However, if it had never existed, I can't see this as a great loss to Hasbro.

But I know a lot of fans enjoy Equestria Girls and it certainly broadened the MLP franchise.

So, no. I am glad it exists. :)

I actually like the equestria girls movies, the first one was kind of a guilty pleasure, and I thought the second one was a great movie. So I'd prefer them to exist, in my opinion.

It gave me EQG Pinkie.  Im okay with it's existence just for that fact. 

This^

Edited by A goat

Should have went with the magical girl thing from the beginning. The movies have a solid premise of Equestria dumping a couple of villains/problems from its world into the people world. One of them returns to Equestria, which brings Twilight to investigate. The introduction of Equestria magic allows those dormant villains to become active. Reformed Sunset Shimmer is given the role to deal with these villains.