Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do people celebrate Halloween where you live?

RainbowMau

I know that most of you are from the US so you'll answer will obviously yes, but for the rest of you, how will that day be?

Here in Costa Rica we used to celebrate it in early 90's, but from mid 90's to late-2000's it was forbidden because the catholics said it was satanic, it was something that it was shown through schools and the commercial boom that Halloween brought was suddenly killed.

Now thankfully it's slowly coming back to normal and Halloween celebrations are back, but not as common as then and there's a lot of people who hate it because they say we're copying foreign traditions (yeah, we celebrate Christmas just as if Jesus was born in Guanacaste or San Jose)

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 2

Oh yes, I try to celebrate these holidays to their fullest... sometimes.

I love the spooky, scary atmosphere that Halloween brings every year.

I just finished carving Pumpkins yesterday, two of them. One is Beetlejuice and the other is the GhostBusters logo!

I also try to watch as many nostalgic scary tv shows on TV/YouTube as I can.

Edited by SUPERFOX5

Sort of? Australia tends to follow whatever the US is celebrating, but the way Australia celebrates Halloween is rather quiet.

Yes we do (US). I can understand why Catholics (I'm a catholic) would think Halloween is... Well sArabic, but in reality, if you simplify Halloween into wearing costumes and going door to door asking for candy, I see no problem :wacko:.

(Portugal)
No, not really... Every single year I can see like... 1 or 2 children with a witch hat and that's about it... Today for example, I'm back from school right now... All I saw was just that. Also, when it comes to Trick or Treating, I have a neighbor who disguised herself, asked for treats, we didn't give them to her and she threw flour, eggs and water to our door... If no one celebrates it, why the hell did she "trick" us anyway?...

Not really myself.  I'd say it's "for kids" but that would be extremely hypocritical :P  What I mean is that unlike some other kids things (MLP, LPS) it just doesn't really interest me as an adult.  And it's mildly irritating that the pubs get packed out.  It is a nice drinking excuse though.

In the UK in general, yep it's celebrated (not as feverishly as in the US)

In my local area, it's more of a drinking thing.  I haven't seen any kids trick-or-treating for years

Yeah, usually, where I reside in the UK. But I'm at my dad's place as I type this, where I've never spent a Halloween. I've only seen one house with decorations, which is fraying my nerves slightly.

I still have a few hours before I head out.

I guess you celebrate it in the traditional way since it's a Celtic tradition, right?

The Celts are more sort of ancient Ireland and Scotland than modern day England or UK as a whole, where I think if you mentioned Celtic tradition people would think you mean that football team with the funny knot logo :)

It's usually celebrated here in 3 ways

1) Spooky themes in pubs (sometimes with red or green beer) and general excuse-to-get-drunk day

2) Kids going door to door playing trick-or-treat (but not seen it recently in this local area) and carving pumpkins or turnips

3) Commercially - Halloween themed foods, spooky sales offers and freakish fifty percent off deals

Yes.

Adults - A great excuse to get dressed up, party all night and get drunk.

Kids - Trick or treat, plus tea parties.

Back when I was a kid, I used to go trick or treating with my brothers. We were allowed to go out by ourselves, ie not accompanied by parents, as long as we stuck together and didn't go outside a certain radius. We used to get sackfuls of sweets but our parents wouldn't let us eat them all at once! XD We'd also have hotdogs and spooky cake for tea before setting out, and make a Halloween themed collage during the week; half term was always the week before Halloween.

Tricks would consist of silly string, cuz our parents wouldn't let us take flour or eggs, tho we did use to smuggle a bag of flour out for a particularly cranky git who never gave to trick or treaters and used to shout abuse at them. XD We'd flour his car windscreen and "decorate" the tree in his front garden with silly string. :P We also once stole a milk bottle off the doorstep of a woman who gave us fruit.

Mexico, yes we do, There aren't so much decorations, but you can see the groups of kids and teens asking for candy, and some of them launching eggs with paint at the windows xD, also there are marathons of horror movies and Halloween parodies in almost every channel xD