Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What do you call a grown man who watches Dora the Explorer?

TheJLeeTeam

I've never seen the show, but considering how many truly awful shows there are that people flock to in droves, I see no particular shame in liking Dora. So there's really no reason to have a special label for its fans; good or bad, unless they want one. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't call myself a fan of the Dora cartoon, having never watched it by myself, however my daughter was of the right age to enjoy it while it was showing in the UK so I have seen more than a few episodes and am very familiar with it.  What I did watch by myself out of curiosity was the film, Dora The Explorer And The Lost City Of Gold, which (to my surprise) I actually quite enjoyed.  This was largely due to the sheer quantity of self-referential humour such as Dora breaking the fourth wall and her parents looking around them and wondering who she is talking to, and the scene in which she is under the influence of a hallucinogenic plant and perceives everything as animated in the style of the cartoon.

I'm not aware of there being an adult fandom of Dora, but then again I wasn't aware of an adult MLP fandom until I watched a certain youtube video so I wouldn't be altogether surprised if it turned out there is one.

• Brohoof 1

I am not going to click that suspicious link, showing no video as a thumbnail. But any grown man that watches a show that is less or equal to Teletubbies, needs to join our wonderful forum! We are all Bronies, and we accept everything and everypony!

Spoiler

:eww:

I would call him a grown man who watches Dora the Explorer. Seriously, who cares? Am I supposed to negatively judge someone for watching a show like that or something? To hell with that noise. 

On 11/15/2018 at 9:41 AM, Lucid_Nightlight said:

A man who needs some help

Take this for example. Why? Why does a man who watches that show need help exactly? "Oh it's a show for babies" some might say. So? Take a good look at public television. It is filled to the brim with brain dead trash like Duck Dynasty, Bigfoot hunting shows, anything that's on MTV, and yet we're gonna insult someone for watching Dora? Shows like Dora are infinitely better than the garbage I just mentioned. Hell, I still love old Blue's Clues episodes. I don't care what anyone thinks, I could still watch that show and have a smile on my face doing so. Not because "I need help", because I just like the show. Oh sure, I am indeed a mental case with all sorts of issues, but watching a show like this isn't even a factor in that regard. 

I'm not trying to spark some debate here, I know how much this site views that as the devil's work lately, but it sincerely angers me seeing a comment like this. A comment that is saying someone who watches a particular show needs help. That is the exact same kind of stuff that anti-Brony culture is made of. People to this day will still insult you if you have a pony avatar somewhere. Comments like that above are no better. 

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I would call him a grown man who watches Dora the Explorer. Seriously, who cares? Am I supposed to negatively judge someone for watching a show like that or something? To hell with that noise. 

Take this for example. Why? Why does a man who watches that show need help exactly? "Oh it's a show for babies" some might say. So? Take a good look at public television. It is filled to the brim with brain dead trash like Duck Dynasty, Bigfoot hunting shows, anything that's on MTV, and yet we're gonna insult someone for watching Dora? Shows like Dora are infinitely better than the garbage I just mentioned. Hell, I still love old Blue's Clues episodes. I don't care what anyone thinks, I could still watch that show and have a smile on my face doing so. Not because "I need help", because I just like the show. Oh sure, I am indeed a mental case with all sorts of issues, but watching a show like this isn't even a factor in that regard. 

I'm not trying to spark some debate here, I know how much this site views that as the devil's work lately, but it sincerely angers me seeing a comment like this. A comment that is saying someone who watches a particular show needs help. That is the exact same kind of stuff that anti-Brony culture is made of. People to this day will still insult you if you have a pony avatar somewhere. Comments like that above are no better. 

Twas a joke

30 minutes ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

Twas a joke

Twas literally no way for to me tell, but ooooooooooooooookay. It be what it be I guess. These days on the internet one can be insulted for anything now so it is difficult to see a post like that and not feel irritated, is all. My apologies if my post came off as harsh which I know it likely did. Just been seeing insults being thrown around at other people on a different site lately and seeing that has been getting to me. 

• Brohoof 1

Dora the explorer fan, I mean yeah like honestly whatever you're thinking that's the same thing people think when you tell them you watch my little pony. Though of course while you can watch my little pony and appreciate it as a good show entertaining for everyone. Dora the explorer is more oriented towards a certain age group.

• Brohoof 1

A couple of issues: The reason kids' shows don't usually have fandoms is because they don't usually have teen or adult fans. The reason they don't have teen or adult fans is because they don't demand a great deal of attention, they don't have interesting or complex story arcs, they don't have fun and diverse characters that you get really emotionally attached to, and they don't tend to have a cast that teen and adult audiences can identify with or relate to. MLP was a big exception on all of these points and that's the only reason it has a fandom.

The next important issue is that the MLP fandom is one of the few that HAS a unique word for people who are part of it. If you're a part of the Gorillaz fandom you're a Gorillaz fan, if you're a part of the furry fandom you're a furry, warrior cats fans are warrior cats fans. As much as I'd love to be a member of the magical sword lesbian gang, I am but a lowly She-ra fan and that's all most fandoms will ever get.