Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Luna Action figure (fully articulated)

SoaringSentinel

Pre-orders for Luna are open now! 

For all the information and available sets check out this link http://sentinel373.d...-Open-505908916

The base figure will be 200 USD but there is a cheaper and a slightly more expensive version availible.

If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

=====***update**=====

The missing parts arrived today and i was finaly able to assemble the figure for the first time!

There are still some issue's, some joints are too loose, and others are too weak. so some modification is required. but i managed to get her to stand on her own  :)

img-3218318-1-8JF8NmT.jpg

img-3218318-2-KCnbzXQ.jpg

img-3218318-3-iU3BZvy.jpg

The next few days/weeks are going to be spent sanding and thickening the joints with putty.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I original modeled the figure (non pose able) nearly a year ago to the day. To see it finally completed and in my hands is so satisfying  :)

=====***Original**=====

Hi guys,

A few months ago i started on a 3d printed statue of Princess Luna. back then I pretty much finished the figure but i never got to the 3d print stage. 

circumstances back then also forced me to shelve the project for various reason. 

But i was still very proud of the model and i really wanted to do something cool with it. I think most agree that the hasbro toy's are somewhat lacking in the quality that would appeal to collectors and older fans. the closest we have to premium official merchandise are the funko models. But I've never liked the heads on those figures. so i've never ended up buying any of them. 

but i still want a really nice figure of best princess but i am a big fan of action figures, being an animator my desk is covered in them. So i figured why not turn that model into an action figure. fully articulated and of high quality.

and so I started planning.

The figure will stand around 25 cm tall or roughly 10 inches from hoof to horn. Once I 3d print the master I intend to cast it in resin so it is a bit stronger than 3d print plastic. This will also be the first time I have ever created a mold and casted something. So that will be an interesting experience which i would love to get advice on when i get to that stage.

I started with the Base model i made several months ago.

Base model:

img-3218318-1-MdCRkYS.png

Next i'm Figuring out the articulation. The intent is to make it as pose able as possible without sacrificing the look of the model. I realize this is not always possible because breaking the model apart in order to add joints is kind of unavoidable but i'm going to try to hide it where ever possible.
anyway here is what I have so far.

img-3218318-2-tCp0Ey8.jpg

Exploded view of the finished components

img-3218318-3-SlRPoGN.jpg

Side view of the front leg

img-3218318-4-1xPWI1m.jpg

Leg articulation:
(Note the leg can also twist at the shoulder below the balljoint it can also twist in the middle part of the leg just above the knee. and it can twist at the foot)

img-3218318-5-zWjNF3Z.jpg

The neck can swivel at its base a full 360 degrees and also rotate forward 96 degrees and backwards 20 degrees. The head itself is on a ball joint. the angle in the picture is as far as the head can tilt back

img-3218318-6-SWBwpCq.jpg

img-3218318-7-R123YSm.jpg

I'm considering putting the big part of the head hair on a hinge so it wont hinder the head much. But I also have to be careful that the hair doesn't become too heavy or else the head ball joint and the bottom neck joint might not be able to keep it upright

Right now i'm working on the rear of the body

Right now the way I've designed the chest joint is by holding the two halves in place with the use of a thick elastic band (its actually a hair scrunchy) 

however I've only designed the chest. the rear of the figure is still just an empty base model shell. 

As for the back not looking at the legs yet.I'm thinking the tail is going to be on a hinge joint to allow for up and down movement.

This will allow it to act as a stand for when the figure is standing on its hind legs. and i need to start taking a look at the hip joint. these i suspect will be tough to design seeing as they will need to have a similar but more limited range of motion as the shoulder joints. but i don't want the figure to have massive gaps when the limbs are moved outward. 

I hope you'll enjoy my process as I continue with this project and if you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know. While I have experience making table top miniatures this is my first "action figure" with articulation.

Edited by SoaringSentinel
  • Brohoof 20

This is simply amazing, is the model shown here made in SFM by the way? :)

I have been asked this question so many times :D. While the base model is partially rigged (in maya) and could potentially be exported to SFM it is currently not SFM ready. Wether or not I will make it SFM ready at some point i don't know, maybe i will maybe I won't I honestly can't say right now.

Can you show us a front-view?

As per request 

he8BmmT.jpg

Note the hair is not done yet. I intend to make both the mane and the tail in a similar style as the recently announced Luna Funko model. where the interior will be solid blue and the exterior outer layer will be transparent purple and maybe a little bit glittery

• Brohoof 2

How many $100s is it going to be?

I honestly can't say yet. I intend to do a limited run of this figure. it depends on demand, Initial 3d print costs for the Master, Resin/molding costs and painting costs

I intend to have a printed master in my hands by the end of november. Then i'll have a better idea of what its going to cost me to make copies.

That start model would be amazing to finish up as well. Would be the perfect ornament.

Once i'm done with the action figure i'm going to complete the base model and submit that to super fan art.

I pretty much finished the hip. sadly the design won't allow for massive amounts of movement. It will rotate forward just fine at about 50 degrees and backwards it can go 160 degrees. but the cone in which the ball joint is attached will only allow the hip to move outward a maximum of 18.5 degrees. Now i intend to make the ankle joint something akin to a ball joint so if more outward motion is required you could get it from there. but this is the only way to get a fairly strong rear hip joint and still allow a bit of outward movement. rather than just lock it to one axis on a hinge joint.

Balljoint inside of the leg

BLPAHLv.jpg

Body baljoint socket

ZwDpia6.jpg

Avert your eyes kids :P

This is about as far as the legs can move outward.

g56atGZ.jpg

• Brohoof 1

had to take a break for a few days but I've managed finished the ankle

The ankle can twist a full 360 degrees and can bend forward by about 90 degrees and back by 18.

next up the foot this will be fairly simple since they will be done in the same manner as the front legs.

swuDhDS.jpg

cuWt3rC.jpg

PJY2JVD.jpg

fast approaching the 3d printing stage.

main parts that still require quite a bit of work are:
wings - need to be seperated and put on individual ball joints mounted on the left and right chest pieces.
Tail - middle part needs to be seperated into two halves for casting and weight saving purposes and a socket for a ball joint at the base needs to be attached.
Mane - needs to be detachable and needs to be modified so the head can move freely without intersecting the neck. mane also needs the same treatment as the tail to save on weight.
Folded pair of wings - need to be modeled that attach to the same ball joints as the extended wings
2 alternate heads - head needs to be posed in angry and laughing expressions for the swap able heads.

nhjEsLA.jpg

Looks like the figure is reaching the final stages of design. i hope to have it sent off to the printer next week.
it looks like the entire figure in the end will consist of about 70 individual parts.

Alright final stretch before it hits the printer. everything except the head and hair is ready to go. the wings have been attached to the same ball joints as the front legs. it has full 360 degrees of rotational freedom at both the base of the wing and on the wing itself, it can bend 90 degrees. but can be twisted so it can be posed in pretty much every position imaginable.

Now comes the tricky part. How to make the head tilt back without having the back of the hair in the way. 

I'm thinking of cutting the hair into the shape of the opening i cut in the back of the head and then transplanting some of the piece of hair is is cut away onto the back of the neck. thus creating the illusion that it's still there. that said there would still be a fairly large gap there. 

does anyone have any suggestions? 

RExuadl.jpg

Back of the head without the hair. 

6PNCTGR.jpg

any help you're willing to give is much appreciated.

Luna is finished!

she has been sent off to the printer and i will be getting the figure in a few days. I fixed the hair by simply opening up that part of the hair and making it hair flow around the hole a little.

In total she has 67 parts 53 of which are unique. once i have the figure and everything works as intended i will be making 2 addition heads and a pair of folded wings for additional posing options. The figure stands 25 cm (10 inches) from hoof to the top of the horn, and 20 cm (8 inches) to the top of the head which puts it around 1/7th scale

Here are screenshots of the finished 3d figure and some exploded views.

WO0RXsO.jpg

PHRHmCD.jpg

SCqHJ9Z.jpg

MzQZivk.jpg

kXKN9kk.jpg

Ni8BxkJ.jpg

Once the figure arrives and everything works as intended I am going to prep the master for resin casting and hopefully i can make a somewhat stronger version then. 

Enjoy and let me know what you think so far, or if you see any obvious flaws I might have missed.

Cheers, 

• Brohoof 2

While i'm waiting for the Prototype to arrive (only a few more days!) I've made a few renders of some of the poses this figure will be capable of.

Once I am sure the figure works as intended I am going to make a set of folded wings and 2 additional heads. one angry and one laughing.

Enjoy :)

eCkADZp.jpg

• Brohoof 1

It has arrived!, well some of it anyway. there has been a mixup and i'm missing over half the figure. most of the missing pieces are of the front legs and the midsections of the rear and all of the balljoints.

i'm trying to find out what happened but the stuff that did arrive turned out beautfully.

here's a sneak peek.

A3qUtMa.jpg

Here are all the parts i have. as you can see a few are missing. mostly the ones in the front legs

EhLYN4I.jpg

• Brohoof 2