Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Luna Action figure (fully articulated)

SoaringSentinel

That really is impressive! Air bubbles are a pest and I got them in the silicon mould, so the part came out with bobbles on it. I wondered if I ever did it again I would make a wooden vacuum chamber to pull them out?

The quality of the parts is excellent as well. I did some 3d printing in 2004 and to be honest it didn't inspire me much either structural wise or on finish so I am fascinated to see you connect you art abilities to the latest tec :)

I latched onto you saying to build stuff you were interested / passionate about. I designed a winch part that I love to use, but the commercial side was a flop. It took two years to sell fourteen units, and although I feel a bit guilty about the manufacturers low sales after they invested time, I enjoyed the design process and the knowledge gained. Gotta play to your strengths and go for gold, but not buy into a project so deep it becomes a chore ! Looking forward to seeing your future projects.....

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That really is impressive! Air bubbles are a pest and I got them in the silicon mould, so the part came out with bobbles on it. I wondered if I ever did it again I would make a wooden vacuum chamber to pull them out?

The quality of the parts is excellent as well. I did some 3d printing in 2004 and to be honest it didn't inspire me much either structural wise or on finish so I am fascinated to see you connect you art abilities to the latest tec :)

I latched onto you saying to build stuff you were interested / passionate about. I designed a winch part that I love to use, but the commercial side was a flop. It took two years to sell fourteen units, and although I feel a bit guilty about the manufacturers low sales after they invested time, I enjoyed the design process and the knowledge gained. Gotta play to your strengths and go for gold, but not buy into a project so deep it becomes a chore ! Looking forward to seeing your future projects.....

Thank you!

when pouring a mold without a vacuum chamber make sure you pour consistently in a thin stream in one corner of the mold box and then let it slowly flow out from there that way you minimize air bubbles in the mold. another good thing to try is have one extra person take a thin stick or something and pop air bubbles around parts in the molds that have small spaces and just have them rub the silicone into those spaces while you're pouring. that way you make sure it gets in everywhere. and the thin stream ensures that you wont get air bubbles trapped against the parts. also never pour the non-evacuated silicone directly onto the parts. always pour onto your clay bed or the bottom of the mold box

What i said about building something you're interested in or are passionate about. In this context i think that applies more towards artistic and entertainment projects rather then things that have a practical application. For a project like Luna it's in essence a toy and display piece. This is something people can live without. A Winch is something that serves a function and if there is a winch that serves that function better and at a lower price then chances are people are going to go with that. I don't know much about winches but in my mind it's a tool to pull things along or lift things up. How well does your winch compare to others. If it's objectively better than others, then your problem may be in marketing. Just my two cents.

For Luna It's a little different. because there are a ton of Luna sculptures and figures out there some look better than mine and some don't. But only mine is fully pose able (as far as i am aware). Even the official toys don't do that. so my only competition are other fans. you have a ton of big companies to deal with that build nothing but winches. 

But I'm not doing this because i want to turn it into a business (I already have my own video game studio) this is because I want a cool Princess Luna Figurine that's pose able and I believe there are other people out there who want one of those as well (and I was right). I could have just printed the figure for myself and scrapped the whole making copies part, and I'd have been done in December. But now I've learned a new skill (making molds and casting parts out of the mold with resin) so even if the whole thing still goes sour I have a new skill and at least 1 princess Luna figure :)

Edited by SoaringSentinel

I think we are roughly on the same page though. My job is designing heat exchangers, and they have to have proportion. I call it Engyart. The winch add-on was a hobby idea that grew. Just something to do I guess? Something I wanted myself? Same as the three foot long robot fish with clear resin head. It was an MEng project, but also something I am proud to own. Current project is a walking stick that is a seat (shooting stick) that hints at the look of a machine gun. This morning I was writing poetry. Around here there's an electric sack truck, some railway loco's, and a 1/32 scale Scottish stone cottage, made with individual stones with a tiny trowel. For me they all fit into the category of "I fancy building that today". I am in awe that you can share your art in this way. Not just because of your attention to detail but your persistence with the project. I'm an awful "that's close enough" character.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think we are roughly on the same page though. My job is designing heat exchangers, and they have to have proportion. I call it Engyart. The winch add-on was a hobby idea that grew. Just something to do I guess? Something I wanted myself? Same as the three foot long robot fish with clear resin head. It was an MEng project, but also something I am proud to own. Current project is a walking stick that is a seat (shooting stick) that hints at the look of a machine gun. This morning I was writing poetry. Around here there's an electric sack truck, some railway loco's, and a 1/32 scale Scottish stone cottage, made with individual stones with a tiny trowel. For me they all fit into the category of "I fancy building that today". I am in awe that you can share your art in this way. Not just because of your attention to detail but your persistence with the project. I'm an awful "that's close enough" character.

Were more alike than you think. if this goes according to plan then this will be the first big hobby project that I complete :P at this point i've put so much time and money into this that i have to finish it. just for my own sanity

I've done some more work on the instructions. i'm also painting one of the new heads just to get an impression of what the final thing will look like :)

here are page 1 through 4 which will come with the kit version of the figure.

WOnRZDH.pngTY63zfF.png

Edited by SoaringSentinel

(edited)

I'm legitimately impressed!

Really, astonishing work! That figure sure is worth more than anything Hasbro could come up with. 

You truly are the embodiment of "If you work hard you can do anything", some people would instantly trash complex ideas. It's inspiring to see someone who puts his hearth and soul into a project.

Edited by Shadow Beam
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Are you making these and selling them? If not, I suggest you should, you could make a lot of money making these and selling them to bronies all over. I know people would definitely buy this, I know I would most definitely. 

Are you making these and selling them? If not, I suggest you should, you could make a lot of money making these and selling them to bronies all over. I know people would definitely buy this, I know I would most definitely. 

He already sold the figures some years ago, and supposedly there were serious design flaws and he has yet to return to the project. Here is the page with the information.

http://sentinel373.deviantart.com/journal/Princess-Luna-Action-figure-Pre-orders-Now-Open-505908916

He already sold the figures some years ago, and supposedly there were serious design flaws and he has yet to return to the project. Here is the page with the information.

http://sentinel373.deviantart.com/journal/Princess-Luna-Action-figure-Pre-orders-Now-Open-505908916

I have not sold any of the figures precisely because of those design flaws.

it was a good learning experience of what not to do though.

I could fix the figure so that it will work but that will require quite a bit of time, which i currently neither have the time nor interest for.

I have not sold any of the figures precisely because of those design flaws.

it was a good learning experience of what not to do though.

I could fix the figure so that it will work but that will require quite a bit of time, which i currently neither have the time nor interest for.

O wow. You came back. Well, that's better than I what I assumed which was that the flaws were realized after the figures were sold. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished it!

didnt want to wait till the weekend so i put it together now...
As i said before she's got more design flaws than i can count and she looks decent in pictures. but she can barely stand. Some parts had to be glued into place but i'm proud smile.png
if i'd have to do this again i wouldn't use ball or friction joints. but instead i'd stick to hinge joints as much as possible

uN1ORQh.jpg
LjvTPDc.jpgCYkyoqq.jpg
mN31cop.jpg

I'll see about getting better photo's made later

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just saw this.

I have always wanted to make figures. I have a 3d printer and all the tools required. Just been so focused on other things to make anything. 

Great job on this and I wanted to say one thing. (Those air bubbles I hear can be popped using a hair dryer.) 

Anyway I also use Maya and I use Zbrush too. I can make jointed models but have not done so.

The most complex thing I ever 3d printed was a horse cart. 

Everything here was 3d printed except the horse (Bryer) and the metal buckles.horsecartsidesm.jpg.fa67c50a2898a5c986126acadb828cce.jpg

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

@Magic_Spark Posts have been merged, remember that  you can edit posts instead of making new ones. Also take into account the topic's last signs of activity as well as the OP's, given that in cases such as this one you might not receive a response back.

Have a lovely day now!